Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Windows 10 Solitaire has ads

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I solved the problem:

I fucking hate the ads in Windows 10 Solitaire. I just want to play solitaire. I would even pay $100 to just outright buy the game, but SaaS is here to stay. :argh:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's had ads for years. I sometimes play it while listening to music and the ads have been there since Win10 launched I believe. You can buy the game for some small amount and remove them, just like a phone game, I believe. There are also solitaire games on Steam.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Moral outrage. Years ago, I wrote an article in praise of Windows Freecell; I'm disappointed that a product that was great largely for being spare and accessible has now become adware.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Why play that ancient version? It's easy enough to find Win10-compatible installers for the Windows 7 games.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Nice. Not like there are freeware versions of that software around or anything. Freeware, open-source, flash games. I wonder if people actually pay for that shit. Microsoft's built-in card games aren't anything more than basic time wasters, what you play if you must. I'm sure you'd have to pay for the other built-in games too. If...well, when I paid for a version of solitaire it'd better have more than just plain-old solitaire, better have all those suckers. Aces Up, Napoleon's Tomb, Terrance, and all the others I'm forgetting. When you get to the world of paid solitaire games, it better be really, really, nice. Not whatever crap Microsoft is selling, that's for sure.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Found a solution thanks to Reddit and I am no longer seeing ads in Windows 10 Solitaire.

Installed Pi-Hole and put this into my blocklist (thanks Reddit).

Copy/Pasta:
msmonplat.trafficmanager.net
cdn.spotxcdn.com
ads.api.vungle.com
fp.msedge.net
v20.events.data.microsoft.com
cdn.adnxs.com
widgets.outbrain.com

Sodafish

Arcane
If you absolutely have to run Windows 10, install Enterprise LTSC that has no such extraneous cancer.

m_s0

Arcane
This is why I'm still on Win 7 and any attempts to persuade me that 10 is "better" are doomed to fail.
Hope you avoided those critical telemetry updates years back... Otherwise, you're not better off by that much, if at all.

Sodafish

Arcane
This is why I'm still on Win 7 and any attempts to persuade me that 10 is "better" are doomed to fail.

You should move to 8.1 at least. Once you install Classic Shell it is very similar to 7, but you still get security updates.

I agree regular Windows 10 is fucking atrocious with all the bloatware/spyware and endless disruptive system updates that it just does whenever the fuck it wants half the time (usually at the most inconvenient moments). LTSC is different though. Barebones install with a focus on stability and uninterrupted operation. Only the most critical updates are applied by default, and only when you choose. There are no built in ads of any kind, no Windows Store, no shitty tablet type interface etc. The telemetry stuff can be turned almost entirely off with it too (the Home and Pro versions don't allow this), and any stray objectionable stuff can be further neutered with tools like O&O ShutUp10. Install Classic Shell and you're even closer to the 7/8 experience. The only issue is a legit license for LTSC isn't easy to get, as it requires volume licensing.

m_s0

Arcane
Then you might be ok-ish as far as Windows 10 levels of spyware (I doubt they only just started doing that with or prior to 10).

Missing 5 years of security updates probably isn't a great idea, though. I guess that's where they have you if you're someone for whom that's a concern.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I read "Windows 10 Solitaire has aids". Which isn't probably far from the truth.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Missing 5 years of security updates probably isn't a great idea, though. I guess that's where they have you if you're someone for whom that's a concern.

I use third party security software including firewalls that force me to manually greenlight every single exectutable that tries to access the internet or change any files on the C drive. I also use adblockers, don't click links in emails and don't open attachments unless it's something I requested, and put anything that isn't system related on a drive other than C (I have several hard disks).

Sodafish

Arcane

I use third party security software including firewalls that force me to manually greenlight every single exectutable that tries to access the internet or change any files on the C drive. I also use adblockers, don't click links in emails and don't open attachments unless it's something I requested, and put anything that isn't system related on a drive other than C (I have several hard disks).

Unknown, unpatchable security holes aren't a problem until they are.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Stop being delusional and move to a newer OS. Whether it's Win8.1, Win10, or Linux. Windows 7 is from two decades ago, let it go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom