Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
So I finally played this. It’s pretty good, but the whole design of the bosses is super irritating for a first time playthrough. All of them require fairly specific sorts of party compositions, but they give no indication whatsoever as to what they are, so you just have to grind through a fairly easy dungeon to get to the boss only to find out that you brought a character who is almost entirely useless. The Miller was the worst example, but all of the bosses are guilty of it to a certain extent. It’s not that I mind failing a quest, I just think it’s horseshit when %99 of a quest is super-easy grind and then the game pulls the rug out from under your feet.

Otherwise though it’s a pretty good game. Really nice art and sound design and a nice variety of classes to play around with, even if some do feel totally superfluous on the base difficulty (Jester, Antiquarian, Occultist).

Generic-Giant-Spider

Anybody here try the PVP they added in?

It's kind of fun and addicting.

Generic-Giant-Spider

After spending some time in PVP I've got some compositions that have worked pretty decently and gotten me to breeze out of the rat leagues into Veteran/Champion.

My primary one is what I christen the, "Kill shit within five minutes." It's the Bounty Hunter, Houndmaster, Arbalest and Musketeer. The goal of this one is to end games as soon as possible and can destroy stress based teams. The goal is to lay down as much of a beating that by round 2 someone is on death's door.

Bounty Hunter skills:

Finish Him - This is essential/non negotiable. With The Finisher trinket equipped it's a guaranteed kill.

Collect Bounty - Mainly here to synergize with all the marking you'll be having and to chunk lifebars.

Come Hither - Pulls/marks target, very good to knock people out of position and lay down the pain.

Uppercut - Knockbacks can be super strong since a lot of teams run Leper/Flagellant for some reason.

Houndmaster:

Blackjack - Honestly, this is the most important skill to have here. You want this for the stun CC and continue disrupting the enemy to deny heals or things like Finale.

Target Whistle - Houndmaster makes for a good marker, lets your backline unleash hell and misery immediately right out of the gate.

Hound's Rush - Just a way to take advantage of marked targets, the bleed on top of it is nice too.

Fourth skill is kind of flexible. I tend to use Guard Dog to ensure the Bounty Hunter can do his thing and not be CC'd. Lick Wounds could work, but in my eyes if you're healing a lot then you're probably in a bad place.

Arbalest:

Sniper Shot: Pretty much annihilates healthbars when used on a marked target.

Sniper's Mark - Another mark to throw out there, can be replaced with Suppressing Fire for the double hit/debuffs to accuracy chance on backliners.

Battlefield Bandage - Good desperation heal, removes bleeds, causes a stacking +heal percentage bonus.

Bola - Just here in case you get pulled to the frontline. Bounty Hunter can hit a majority of his moves from rank 3, Houndmaster as well, so it's better to cause some damage/knockback chance instead of wasting a turn to move. Also moves you back one space which is a convenient 2-in-1.

Musketeer:

Same as Arbalest pretty much. Replace the mark target with Smokescreen if you want.

We're basically taking advantage of the oversight that despite prohibiting class stacking, the Arbalest/Musketeer have very minor differences between one another and are basically the same class. They also hit very hard. You typically should save your deathblows for the Bounty Hunter since he can guarantee kill with Finish Him but an opportunity to hit a death's door enemy should almost always be taken regardless.

Games tend to end very quickly this way so you're not stuck in 20 minute stress battles or playing dot-for-dot and death door checks like a goon.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Yeah, Bounty hunter is OP.

I honestly tried different compositions, tried bleeding/blighting, tried holy party with crusader and vestal, etc. Marking party wrecks pretty much everything.

Wunderbar

Arcane
By the way, the matchmaking system tries to determine which tactics are you going to employ based on your party composition. Because of that, if you're playing with a Marking party, there is a high chance that game will pit you against another Marking party (or at least partial Marking party with 1 different character).

At least, that's how it felt to me. Probably a coincidence.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
Pretty sure KanColle had pvp since the start but I guess RedHook is still trying to keep up.
Too bad they can't realize their problem is they're waaaay behind in the cute girls department, especially when you now have to compete with the lewder, chinese KanColle and the historical wives of Fate.

KVVRR

Learned
I don't know, Plague Doctor is kinda cute.
3023E9636A7C261A6A5A4B3B52BA8AC3887F5387

Wunderbar

Arcane
I've managed to make Leper work. Plague doctor - Man at arms - Crusader - Leper.

Man at arms uses Bolster, Command and Guard (on leper or someone who's currently in danger), Plague doctor stacks emboldening vapors on Leper (twice), Crusader uses Bulwark of light, Leper uses Revenge and Withstand. Voila, Leper is a fucking indestructible death machine with huge PROT, ACC, damage and crit chance who will OHK anything on the frontline. Just be sure to give him a move resist trinket, and in case your party gets shuffled you can just move others around Leper (Crusader can use holy lance).

The only weakness here is PROT-piercing enemies like Grave robber, and even then there are two heals (PD and Crusader) to keep your characters off death's door.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Bellow is cancer.

Seems like every motherfucker I played with is running a Man at arms bellow machine. Bolsters on the first round, then proceeds bellowing. Shit is not fun at all.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't know what they were thinking giving an AOE stress attack that hits all four ranks to the tankiest class in the game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Every other stress attack can be countered.

Antiquarian's festering vapours can be countered with riposte. Houndmaster's and Highwayman's can be countered with riposte too, in addition to them being squishy. Plague doctor can be simply pulled into frontline, Hellion can be pushed back. Only Man at arms' bellow cannot be countered in any way - it doesn't deal direct damage and thus cannot be riposted, it can be used from any position, it hits all 4 ranks. And it fucking debuffs your damage, so after three bellows you can barely scratch your enemies!

Each time i see MAA in enemy's party i'm tempted to just leave. Disgusting.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Bellow is probably the only thing right now that really needs looking at, or at least modified so that you can do something against it. It should only be usable in the first two ranks at most and debuffing damage is retarded since it completely kills the tempo of so many other compositions, not to mention it conflicts with the MAA's role of being much more defensive oriented with being able to reliably guard and riposte. Why use any other skill after Bolster but Bellow? It's a waste otherwise.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Every other stress attack can be countered.

Antiquarian's festering vapours can be countered with riposte. Houndmaster's and Highwayman's can be countered with riposte too, in addition to them being squishy. Plague doctor can be simply pulled into frontline, Hellion can be pushed back. Only Man at arms' bellow cannot be countered in any way - it doesn't deal direct damage and thus cannot be riposted, it can be used from any position, it hits all 4 ranks. And it fucking debuffs your damage, so after three bellows you can barely scratch your enemies!

Each time i see MAA in enemy's party i'm tempted to just leave. Disgusting.

Wouldn't bleed/blight compo works theoretically? They are not reliant on direct damage right?

Wunderbar

Arcane
InD_ImaginE you can't kill an enemy using DoTs, only direct hits proc deathblow check. Bleed/blight just chip away HP, too slow for Butcher's circus frantic pace.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The main frustration is one single character that's using one single skill can counter over half the classes in this game that rely on dealing big hits as their selling point, not to mention bleed/blight is only for keeping sustained damage up on an enemy and will never trigger deathblows.

Bellow's damage debuff alone invalidates Leper, Jester, Arbalest, Abomination, Houndmaster, Highwayman, Bounty Hunter and Shieldbreaker.

You start to run into comps now that don't even focus on stress damage but simply have a MAA there to just Bellow you down and pull ahead in the damage race since Bellow is such a braindead ability.

It's a glaring oversight especially since many other classes have skills that either are changed up on how they usually work (some skills may Daze you instead of Stun like in the main game) or have limited uses per fight like Finale or Solemnity.

LabRat

Learned
I've installed some monsters mod. Sunward Isles and Moonlit Dungeon are pretty good. There are many challenging enemy and bosses.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Organically, I just found this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538266546

When I came across this passage, I thought "hmmm... that sounds familiar"

1337 g4m3r said:
What is Deepest Dark?

Deepest Dark is a difficulty mod originally made for a different game, however as a result of this allegedly challenging game entirely lacking in challenge by default, as well as some extremely unprofessional, unethical, and outright offensive behavior from the developers I cut support of it as I could not endorse such a game in good conscience.

With trembling hands, I scrolled up to read the author window...

WWnHbME.jpg

:bounce:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Trying to play the first game. Just starting to get into it, but it keeps crahing. Heard it's something to do with trinkets duplicating, and stack overflow something or other.

Is the second game fucked as well? Fool me once and all that...

Edit: Initial reaction to this game after 1/2 a day or so is that it's less about gaming, and more about gambling.

i tried getting back into it, after finishing the first game something like 4-5 years ago. It used to more lenient toward what you can do to offset the rng, but as stated previously, dev tried to lock the game as much as possible and not allow too many thing, which is weird when you see thing like character like shield breaker who's clearly a notch above the rest of the roster.

Üstad

Arcane
Is this game really good? I keep seeing people on codex praising this game but combat seems like from a pokemon game, with grind and no tactical depth.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this game really good? I keep seeing people on codex praising this game but combat seems like from a pokemon game, with grind and no tactical depth.

Most of tactical depth lies between match making your team, based on position and their abilities to make things that works. And understanding enemies composition of certain dungeon and bringing the right team. Most character usually at least has 2 working "build" depending on position and with 4 slot and 16 classes it is fun finding stuff that works.

Game is also insanely moddable and you can find gazzilion of high quality well designed mods on the workshops including new classes, dungeon, and bosses.

The game is not really deep, deep. But it is a fun one regardless.

Of course the game has negatives. On normal difficulty (Darkest) it is a bit grindy, but the catch is that the game has high amount of lethal RNG. If you lose your good team on a run then you grind from 0. But the easy difficulty (Radiant) essentially just speed the game up economically and exp wise and thus alleviate the grind. Most people agree that if you just looking to relax and enjoy what the game has to offer playing in Radiant is good.

Overall you can easily get your money worth of having 30 - 40 hours of entertainment. Just don't expect the game to have 600 hours of content like Celerity and then complain that it is utter shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom