Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Black Pyramid of Uridimmu (I)

It is cold inside the pyramid, contrary to all your expectations. Plucking a torch from the wall, you make your way in. The narrow corridor begins to slope downward gently, forcing you to hobble more carefully. There is a light breeze blowing up from below; the torches flicker, and shadows dance wildly across the walls. With the wind comes a cloying, bestial stench. Your left leg twinges sharply as you walk, sending mild waves of pain up your body. Strange pictorials are carved into the walls – visages of fantastic and monstrous creatures and incomprehensible glyphs. Amongst these you spot a recurring figure; a black, six–eyed hound devouring limbs and organs of the fallen on a magnificent throne, with robed figures prostrated before it. A chill begins to nest in your gut, and the pain in your leg grows. At the bottom of the corridor is an archway. You stop before it, taking a deep breath. The presence of a beast is close by. If this is part of the trial, however, you have no choice but to proceed.

You step through the archway, finding yourself in a great hall held up by countless giant pillars wider than you are tall. There are no torches here save your own. You hold yours up high, a single, red flame wavering against the darkness. The floor here is polished compared to the rough-hewn corridor, but here and there you see deep claw marks that have raked apart the stone. Blood stains that have turned brown with age smear the pillars and the floor. Here and there, at the very edges of the gloom, you seem to spot scattered bones. The hall seems to have been abandoned for a long, long time, falling in to ruin and disrepair. All you can hear is the crackling of your fire, and your resounding footsteps bouncing off the distant walls.

In the quiet dark, you see in front of you a faint white light. As you approach, the light resolves itself into the figure of a girl slightly shorter than you are. Her long blonde hair is luminescent, seemingly glowing with a brilliance of its own. At that sight, a single name rises to your lips. “Rain?”

But with the child’s back to you, you are unable to see her face. Besides, she would be too old to be Rain, and so you drive that thought from your mind from now. She seems to be looking upwards, her head tilted far back, arms spread to her side as if attempting to block something with her small frame. Curious, you follow her gaze, looking up.

A low growl rumbles through the entire hall, quaking the floor and sending small streams of sand trickling down from the ceiling. In the darkness, six glowing eyes open up one by one, manifesting high in the ceiling. The eyes burn with a purple fire, and you can sense them fixate on you. Terror strikes your heart and freezes your blood, and at that moment the pain in your leg explodes, causing you to go to one knee. Suddenly, the child turns and leaps at you, pushing you down flat on the ground. A stream of flame bursts through the space where you had been. The intense heat sears your skin even without making contact, and for an instant, your mind is filled with screams and fires and laughter.

Was it your father? Was it your mother? Which of your parents was it, that threw themselves over you while you could smell the aroma of burning meat and crackling fat, while you could hear their screams and pleas of mercy, while you could see the flesh drop from their bones, while you could not even breathe, the burning air scorching your throat.

You are snapped out of it by the girl shaking you almost violently. She looks angry yet sad at the same time, her emerald green eyes slightly watery beneath her frowning brow. Giving her an apologetic nod, you look at the beast that had attacked you. The darkness seems to be solidifying, outlining a massive silhouette that towers above you; a winged shadow that is far larger than a bear, perhaps even as large as Father McClellan’s church. You can make out the faintest hints of a snout stretched in a wicked grin, and within that maw, sharp, gleaming teeth each thicker than your arm. Something about it reminds you of the shadowbeast you once fought in the forest… but you can tell that this thing is far greater, far stronger, and far more terrible.

Come you have to my throne unbidden.

You hear a deep, cruel voice in your head. It is a voice that brings to mind slaughter, a voice that evokes prey being hunted down and torn apart, a voice of blood and guts piled up in offerings.

It has been an eternity since I have had a tribute, and I HUNGER.

That last word echoes inside your skull loudly, blasting away all thought from your head. You take a step back, fear gripping your heart as adrenaline floods your body. Fight or flight. You have to make a choice…

“No.” A clear, firm voice, as beautiful as that of bells, rings out near your ear. You feel the girl clasp both hands on your cheeks as she turns your face to look at her. As she gazes straight into your eyes, a burning heat spreads across your chest. You reach into your clothes and pull out Rain’s silver pendant, now blazing with an incandescent white light.

The beast’s six eyes burn with an even greater glow of interest, and you can faintly see a giant paw move in the dark. It takes one step forward, shaking the entire hall.

Shutting her eyes tightly, the blonde girl clasps her hands over your own desperately, covering the pendant. In that instant, you know what can be done… what must be done.

From the pendant, you draw out the power to:

A. Attack. So that you can hunt and destroy all those who would bring harm to you and your beloved ones.

B. Protect. So that you and those you care about cannot be touched by malice.

C. Conceal. So that no vile intentions may find you and those you hold dear.​

Baltika9

Arcane
A, definitely. Hunters hunt, and we will become a hunter whom even monsters fear.

Plus, it'll work well with our desire to join the Monster Hunters.

Last edited:

Orbit

Scholar
A, and B sound a bit boring. Voting C.

Was it your father? Was it your mother? Which of your parents was it, that threw themselves over you while you could smell the aroma of burning meat and crackling fat, while you could hear their screams and pleas of mercy, while you could see the flesh drop from their bones, while you could not even breathe, the burning air scorching your throat.
:thingsareokay:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That was so cool!

So the decision to think about someone was not so we could help them, but to have them help you? Eat your heart out, Azira, the real PRAY vote was Sophie all along, if only because I can't think of anything but Lord's name that would save us... :M

Does it mean that not-Wrinkly is currently shielding Sophie? And I am sure not-Andrew's bum is providing ample distraction for whatever trial Elizabeth is undergoing.

Also, Uridimmu? It's like a centaur, only with less horse and more dog. What is it doing here? These people don't strike me as Sumerians.

Right, the powerset vote. A is the well-trodden path of Attack, Attack, and Attack some more. Ean did it, Jing did it, although he also had some sneaky tricks and ninja training. Stalking the prey unseen like C would be pretty neat, and it would pave the way to the coveted Sniper build.

However, there is one style I have not seen us play, ever. The protective style. Look at our CON and say it to my face that we aren't built for it.

We'll be the Iron Shaft who'd put the Shaolin Abbot to shame!

B. Protect. So that you and those you care about cannot be touched by malice.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah. Not too sure which one I most want. I mean, yes, they all sound great. But what do I find most fitting?

I think I'll go with a preferential vote this time:

B>C>A

Baltika9

Arcane
Right, the powerset vote. A is the well-trodden path of Attack, Attack, and Attack some more. Ean did it,
Ean did everything, from stealth (Crete), to statesmanship, to combat. I agree on Jing.
However, there is one style I have not seen us play, ever. The protective style. Look at our CON and say it to my face that we aren't built for it.
Ok. We aren't built for it.
Also, Uridimmu? It's like a centaur, only with less horse and more dog. What is it doing here? These people don't strike me as Sumerians.
No, treave just really likes to use Sumerian mythology in his works, especially bulls. This can only mean one thing: he is an avatar of Enzu, the Sumerian god of wisdom and knowledge, sent to remind all peoples of the Earth of Great Akkad.

We are not worthy of Him.
:hailcthulhu:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
B>C.

Interesting. I wonder if E would have had us face the megabeast alone.

A is the default option and I'm bored of it. Wrinkly boy has the potential to be something a little different from your typical Andrew-hero that goes charging in everywhere and only survives thanks to OP protagonist powers and deus ex machinas. I'd rather have powers to protect and conceal when it comes to helping Rain, for example.

Baltika9

Arcane
===Tally===
A - 4 (3)
B - 8
C - 7 (9)

Baltika9 - A
ERYFKRAD - A
Absinthe - A>C
asxetos - A>C>B

Nevill - B
Azira - B>C>A
Tigranes - B>C
Grimgravy - B>C
baud - B
Kz3r0 - B
Kalarion - B
ItsChon - B>C

Orbit - C
CappenVarra - C>B
hello friend - C>B
Oscar - C>B
Lambchop19 - C>B
Life of the Party - C>A>B
Kipeci - C

===

Oh come on, bros, Zaramoth the Unmaker >>>>> Azunai the Defender.

B. hnnnnng I wanted A so badly but I love the idea of being a living shield :whiteknight:
B makes me think of a knight or paladin, far more than of a living shield. B is also congruent with that choice we made when we jumped the shadowbeast with a pocket knife:
B. Perhaps it is just childish stubbornness, but you can still endure the pain. You get back on your feet and decide to make it regret turning its back. You have lived life with little thought of what it meant to you so far, and though you might be too young to truly understand at the moment, you might be able to find some meaning in saving others.

We will protect the world (starting with our loved ones)! But there better be some shining armor in it for us.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy fuck I totally dropped the ball there. My senses have been a little off these last couple updates so that sucks a little. Amazing update though, gets better every time Treave.

I was leaning towards A at first but y'all are right, B and C are much more interesting options. I will tentatively lean towards

B > C

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It was as I suspected.

Anyway, this is a choice between attack, defense and stealth.

With our build, we're extremely suited to stealth, but attack might be fun.

Then again, being able to protect ourselves with a shield might be interesting. And sometimes the best offense is a good defense. :M

C>B

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

You are snapped out of it by the girl shaking you almost violently. She looks angry yet sad at the same time, her emerald green eyes slightly watery beneath her frowning brow.
damn man, straight to the feelz

forget about the Countess of Blood and Sophocles, we need to go back to Rain asap

Nevill

Arcane
Pleas of mercy? That's not an accidental fire... but then we suspected that.

Why was our master the only one who'd fish a kid out of the building ruins, though? Was an entire village wiped out?

Nevill

Arcane
What a... pointed question.

One of our ears should be visible, since only half of our face was burnt off.

Wait, does that make us Two-Face? Have we been a villain all along?
:despair:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, does that make us Two-Face? Have we been a villain all along
Joseph Campbell's Hero had a thousand faces. We just got a head start in catching up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom