Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is RPG Codex the only place on the Internet where Larian and Beamdog are hated?

curds

Magister
Beamdog are lazy, unethical parasites.
Larian, as a company, haven't done anything horrible AFAIK (whether you like their games or not is a different matter).

I haven't played anything by either company, personally.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Beamdog aren't lazy, they rewrote the entire Planescape code from the ground up. They are just misguided, lack vision, and don't know what they are doing half the time. They simply have no clue how to "enhance" anything. Sure, they made these old games run (poorly) on new machines, but everyone with a little bit of computer knowledge and elbow grease could've done the same for himself. I certainly never had an issue running these games before.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe there's also the factor of implementing actually wanted and needed features being out of scope/too hard/too expensive/too time consuming. I imagine coding in full party control for NWN would be a nightmare.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I see no reason to hate or worship Larian. They made some flawed but charming, enjoyable games, and good on them for hitting it big time with DOS1 after taking massive risks to try and create an ambitious turn-based RPG with an overall very good end result.

DOS2 was a mixed step and we will now see if DOS3 is any good. But at this point it wasn't like FO3 where they took away the opportunity from the people who should actually be making it.

Beamdog is just weird because it's like someone with no musical talent put out a couple of mixtapes with Freddie Mercury cover songs or something, but then they work really hard to claim that their karaoke cover is the definitive version of the music, take original Queen CDs off the market and make them less accessible to eat up the sales $, and then try to finally record their own album with original music but fail hard

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Larian is indeed loved by a decent amount of the Codex, which is indicative of the the shit taste that most of the Codex suffers from. Garbage company, and their rape of BG3 will be worse than anything Beamdog ever did.

AliceAlcina

Learned
Larian is indeed loved by a decent amount of the Codex, which is indicative of the the shit taste that most of the Codex suffers from. Garbage company, and their rape of BG3 will be worse than anything Beamdog ever did.

Larian's Divinity OS2 is amazing experience, but they will deff desecrate BG3. One thing is to make your own thing - turn based/small party, another to copy that formula to game series already made fame for ultimate CRPG.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I don't get the hate for BG 3.

It looks like DOS3 but that's about it. It will use the 5e system instead of Larian's own system, so it will fix most of the problems DOS 2 have. Sure they can fuck it up again, but so far they are doing OK.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I see no reason to hate or worship Larian. They made some flawed but charming, enjoyable games, and good on them for hitting it big time with DOS1 after taking massive risks to try and create an ambitious turn-based RPG with an overall very good end result.

DOS2 was a mixed step and we will now see if DOS3 is any good. But at this point it wasn't like FO3 where they took away the opportunity from the people who should actually be making it.

Beamdog is just weird because it's like someone with no musical talent put out a couple of mixtapes with Freddie Mercury cover songs or something, but then they work really hard to claim that their karaoke cover is the definitive version of the music, take original Queen CDs off the market and make them less accessible to eat up the sales $, and then try to finally record their own album with original music but fail hard
This

Larian is such a goofy outfit, Sven is a bro who is so full of energy and wants to make good old style RPGs with depth and tactical combat... if anybody can pull a rabbit out of a hat with Baldur’s Gate would be them

Beamdog are just hacks who have taken the work of modders and rebranded them as EE while disappearing the original versions of the game which run perfectly fine with unofficial patches and fixes and now have the balls to claim “their” versions are better than the originals

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is RPG Codex the only place on the Internet where RPGs are hated?

We love a genre that, for the most part, has been on a path of decline for pretty much the last 20+ years. That we cling to the classics and show disdain to the majority of new games isn't really that surprising.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is RPG Codex the only place on the Internet where RPGs are hated?

We love a genre that, for the most part, has been on a path of decline for pretty much the last 20+ years. That we cling to the classics and show disdain to the majority of new games isn't really that surprising.
Not necessarily; check out the latest Top RPGs Codex list and you can see a handful of modern games like Age of Decandence, Underrail, ATOM, Grimoire, Divinity Original Sin, Witcher 3... most users might play their KKK and Decline cards but there are some quality RPGs mostly from Indies but still

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Beamdog is a shit mobile developer doing shit mobile developer things.

Larian is the most aggravating tho, because they have a ton of cash, developers and time to make great rpgs but because it's CEO is like one of those people in parties that never shuts up and is constantly trying to be funny... Their games is full of shit try hard comedy, their gameplay design is full of try hard clever mechanics like stacking crates and explosive traps.

Tigranes

Arcane
Beamdog is a shit mobile developer doing shit mobile developer things.

Larian is the most aggravating tho, because they have a ton of cash, developers and time to make great rpgs but because it's CEO is like one of those people in parties that never shuts up and is constantly trying to be funny... Their games is full of shit try hard comedy, their gameplay design is full of try hard clever mechanics like stacking crates and explosive traps.

I think what we get from them in the DOS era is genuinely the best kind of RPG that they like and that they can imagine.

Neither Sven nor Larian games of the past ever showed any promise or inclination for complex systems, extensive C&C or rich storytelling. They've always liked the light fluffy jovial jokey vibe, RPG systems that aren't super complex, cartoony & usually-bright looks, etc. They're not sitting there wishing they could write something like MOTB or design something like JA2, and I don't think the D&D license had them celebrating how they can finally do stuff like TOEE. Totally-Not-Gandalf-Turns-Into-Cat is their signature and they're happy with it.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I don't understand why Beamdog is getting hatred. They polished old classics and re-published them to work on newer systems. Ideally they shouldn't be receiving either love or hate. They should be tasteless, neutral. You already owned the game and you could mod it to get the same effects? Then fine, do that and ignore Beamdog's offerings, why the fuck you have to make a big fuss about it you fucking sperg?

As for Larian, i don't think anyone hates them. They are not important enough to hate. I mean, they make garbage nostalgia-bait for 40 year old faggots with no time to play games but still wanting the warm fuzzy feeling of getting a nice "old school" game with cool cartoony screenshots, so they can fire it up once in a while, mess around the starting area a bit, then close it when they get reminded they have work to do. Yes they will butcher Baldur's Gate 3, but what do you expect when you shill for both DOS games and give them GOTY even when you haven't even played the fucking trash? Game gets successful and suddenly those belgian faggots are considered quality crpg game designers and get assigned a historic franchise to corrupt. Has happened again and again. That is why shilling is wrong, and should be exposed every single time. Shilling leads to bad products and shilling lead to the video game industry of 2020. Enjoy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom