Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eschalon: Book 1 avaliable on Steam

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Deleted member 7219

Well, as the thread title says, it's out on Steam. What do you guys think of the game, and how much of an RPG is it really? How much hack/slashing is there compared to choices and consequences, meaningful dialogue, alternate paths through quests etc.... I prefer the latter options when I buy RPGs. I don't want another Sacred.

Higher Game

Arcane
It's an amazing game and its engine has ridiculous potential. It's a bit raw, but any future sequels will be much better polished, so I support it. I hope it makes Vogel step up his game as well, since it's his biggest competition in years. :D

Deleted member 7219

Higher Game said:
It's an amazing game and its engine has ridiculous potential. It's a bit raw, but any future sequels will be much better polished, so I support it. I hope it makes Vogel step up his game as well, since it's his biggest competition in years. :D

What is it like in terms of roleplaying?

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Not really that much (if any) C&C if that's what you're asking.

Still, it's fun enough and deserves support IMO.
I agree that the sequels have much potential.

Atrachasis

Augur
To me, it feels like a 1980's golden era game clad in more modern garments (i.e., as modern as an isometric engine can get). It's a really interesting combination; the engine makes particularly nice use of light and shadow in combat, and the whole thing certainly scratches a nostalgic itch. Beautifully polished too; I agree that the engine really shines.

However, just like in most 1980's cRPGs, don't expect branching storylines and far-reaching consequences (although there are some minor choices to be made). Some unresolved plotlines; what role-playing there is enters via your character stats, but rarely via dialog. Some nicely-done alternate paths (I seem to remember three distinct ways of reaching a certain, closed-off area, for example). I found combat, especially in some of the outdoor areas mostly unsatisfying (though hack-and-slash doesn't describe it; it's more like hack-hack-hack), and at least for me, in some areas, it consisted of running in, landing a few hits and maybe killing an enemy, running back across several screens, healing up, returning into the fray across several screens, and grinding some more. Combat in some of the dungeons seemed a little more interesting due to the strategic considerations offered by the lighting and the conveniently placed powder kegs.

I found the writing and characters unengaging and uninspired, and the lore unmemorable. What atmosphere it creates is conveyed more by the graphics and sound than by the writing. Despite all this, I enjoyed the time I spent with it, played through it once, and sometimes find myself toying with the thought of firing it up again to see what life would be like as a mage. In the end, it may depend on how much you'd be interested in finding the answer to the question, "What if a 1980's turn-based isometric RPG was made with today's technology?"

Zakhal

Liturgist
Id pay hundred bucks if theyd use echalon engine on big ultima7 style game. The first game was good but there are still things that could be improved.

Dogsoup

Scholar
Personnally I didn't like it, thought it was tedious. I prefer Vogel's stuff, clearly, even if it's redundant. But then it has the merit to exist. Hope the next episodes will improve on the first.

Dogsoup

Scholar
The real problem is that it's quite bland, generic; even with mere words through paragraphs, "Wasteland" or "Dragon Wars" conveyed a lot more than "Eschalon". But, I repeat it: it has the merit to exist and to see designers trying to get back to the roots (even if for me they failed in this case).

Andhaira

Arcane
@OP: If you enjoyed baldurs gate 1, you will enjoy Eschalon. It has a linear story, but you basically ignore that for as long as you want and wander the world as you will. The game is built around exploration. With the skills its also possible to build a satisfying outdoorsman type, albeit skillpoints are very low for char gen.

Please note the demo of the game is a free download, and offers FULL char gen as wll as a couple of hours of play time.

sheek

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
Higher Game said:

What is it like in terms of roleplaying?
You mean in terms of LARPing?

Not great.

Antagonist

Liturgist
Higher Game said:

I very much doubt that Vogel perceives Eschalon as serious competition as 2 good indie RPGs per annum does not make a competitive market yet. Even the poorest sod should be able to purchase two inexpensive titles in a 12 month span.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
why does a game that looks worse then baldur's gate 1 cost 15 euro for the first part....

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What I didn't like from the demo, was the very slow pace. The character walks annoyingly slow and also the combat seemed boring. I don't think you'll find much in terms of story and dialog. Anyway, download the demo and see for yourself.

BonziBUDDY

Scholar
If we were in the 1990’s, Eschalon would have been a great RPG game, but it’s 2009 for God’s sake. Oh, and the save system sucks.

Deleted member 7219

Right. Well, I hate hack/slashes, Diablo clones and mindless isometric combat-focused games like Baldurs Gate 1. So I think I'll pass on this.

sheek

Arbiter
zerotol said:
why does a game that looks worse then baldur's gate 1 cost 15 euro for the first part....
You're right. RPGs are all about admiring pretty backdrops.

Eschalon fails at that as well as at the intra-party banter and romances. You can't even LARP with it. Clearly a failure of a game.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Matt7895 said:
Right. Well, I hate hack/slashes, Diablo clones and mindless isometric combat-focused games like Baldurs Gate 1. So I think I'll pass on this.

Eschalon is none of the above. Yes, it's isometric and has a lot of combat; but it also has exploration and puzzles. It's a great, real oldschool game, no choices and schmonsequences, no long, branching dialogues; just proper dungeoncrawling (dungeons with pressure plates!) and exploration.

It's a shame that the combat is not very tactical, but it's an excellent game. The music, graphics, and general presentation are really top-notch, which is amazing, considering that it is an indie, programmed basically by one man.

Just give the demo a go (it's amazing that there are Codexians who didn't even try out the demo of Eschalon...)

There was also a long thread about Eschalon on the Codex when it was released.

Higher Game

Arcane
Matt7895 said:

Give it a try. :( It's very well balanced (yet not boring, which is surprising for a single character game), the music and sound are awesome, the art design is good, and its replay value is high. As far as writing and roleplaying go, it's not Planescape: Torment or such, but it's creative by dungeon crawler standards. The "immersion" is also very thick. It's not a detached action/slasher at all, it's a world that pulls you in.

It's honestly the best old school RPG in years. Think of the jump of Ultima 1 to Ultima 7. Eschalon has ridiculous potential and I'm definitely on the bandwagon and hope to enjoy the ride.

Thrasher

Erudite
I've yet to hear what makes this game compelling. It sounds too simple and repetitive, but I may be missing something.

Melcar

Arcane
I removed it from inventory a while ago and since then have played it twice. Full play-through too, start to finish, which is more than I can say of any current game.
Yeah, it feels like one of those "old school" RPGs from the late 80s early 90s. The game is rather straight forward and isn't "deep" at all. More intricate than a Diablo clone, however. Character generation is rather simple but bearable, and nothing too complicated that may turn "casuals" off. Story is nothing worth mentioning and neither are its story telling mechanics and character development; at times you may even feel cheated when the game tries to convey emotion by means of graphical effects and music rather than good story telling. Combat is passable but still enjoyable. The game has nothing on BG (or any IE game), so if you expect something similar to those games you will be disappointed. If you're one of those "where's the C&C bitch!" people you best look elsewhere though.
I give it a 7/10, and for the price it's not bad. I definitely wouldn't pay more than $20US for such a game, however (much like I wouldn't pay more than $5US for any of today's crap).

Higher Game

Arcane
I hope you mean Baldur's Gate II. Eschalon (and any decent RPG) absolutely crushes the original BG. For a first game, however, it's rock solid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom