Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Chaos League!

Continue?

• More Blood!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a Eurofag that can't admit the Superiority of American Football

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, the thread's been good fun to follow. I've been playing the game as well, just with Wood Elves, and they're a completely different bag of tricks.
I made sure I started out with an Ent (damn, they're expensive), which meant the rest of my team was linemen, quarterbacks and one receiver. Couldn't afford a running back. But the ent could hold the line while the receiver sprinted towards the endzone, and yes, the elven passing game is lovely.
Since I'm a lazy arse bugger, I haven't got any screenshots to share. Currently in the 3rd out of the 4 divisions, and managed to win the cup on first try. Having to do 4 matches against 1st division teams was hairy though.

Right now I'm just playing so that I can get into the top two divisions and hire heros and try them out.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
i like played this game without using the tutorial and i no jack squat of American football so i got owned :lol: :lol:

also you need to manuelly move your guys, i though they ran themselves :lol:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nope, the AI doesn't play the game for you. :wink:

I recommend you use either the Real-time with pause option, or the auto-pause every 5 seconds option. If you choose the latter, you can choose how long the auto-pause lasts before the action starts up again. I admit, I've chosen the 40 second option, as that's the longest one. I like to take my time planning my moves.

When all is going to plan, it's just a matter of clicking 'OK' every 5 seconds. Sound tedious? Well, yes. What's worse is that what you choose in the start of the campaign stays that way all the way through the campaign.

So mess around with it a bit, see what option you like best before you decide to start your campaign.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
It isnt tedious, i have played a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic and thats completely turnbased.
I had the pause at will activated but just forget to pause. :P

Grog

Educated
Just a few random comments from a Blood Bowl fan:

Based on the stats I'm seeing those "dog-men," the Praetorians, look to be the replacement for the Skaven which were rat-men. I didn't see anywhere in the screens that specifically said dogs, and the characters were ambiguous enough that it was hard to tell, but I suspect they were shooting for rodents.

There were several questions about the amount of money coming out of the games. If it's like Blood Bowl, the overall pot is determined by the number of fans that show up to the game. Some of that is out of your control, but other things you can influence by spending team money. This is where cheerleaders come in, as they draw bigger crowds and help raise the pot. I don't remember what all the modifiers were, but some of them raised the whole pot, helping both teams (weighted toward the team that wins), and others helped you draw a bigger share of the winnings (hence the losing team getting more money than the winners that one match).

Where Blood Bowl gets really interesting is with goblins and halflings when their big monsters start throwing teammates down field like the ball. Anyone know if this game supports that? I was also always partial to the halflings ability to hire a chef as their coach to distract the enemy with food smells. Are the halflings even in this game?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nope, no halflings in this game, and it doesn't seem like the goblins get to have "The right stuff". I've played several matches against goblin opponents, and not one have been thrown.

Grog

Educated
Azira said:
Nope, no halflings in this game, and it doesn't seem like the goblins get to have "The right stuff". I've played several matches against goblin opponents, and not one have been thrown.

Bummer. Though no halflings isn't a huge loss, as even with "The Right Stuff" and their other specials they still weren't a viable team. Throwing teammates was still amusing just for the novelty if nothing else. I hope they include it in the official Blood Bowl coming later this year.

Crichton

Prophet
Based on the stats I'm seeing those "dog-men," the Praetorians, look to be the replacement for the Skaven which were rat-men. I didn't see anywhere in the screens that specifically said dogs, and the characters were ambiguous enough that it was hard to tell, but I suspect they were shooting for rodents.

There were several questions about the amount of money coming out of the games. If it's like Blood Bowl, the overall pot is determined by the number of fans that show up to the game. Some of that is out of your control, but other things you can influence by spending team money. This is where cheerleaders come in, as they draw bigger crowds and help raise the pot. I don't remember what all the modifiers were, but some of them raised the whole pot, helping both teams (weighted toward the team that wins), and others helped you draw a bigger share of the winnings (hence the losing team getting more money than the winners that one match).

The Praetorians are described in Sudden Death as "The Dog Men of Romulus and Remus" and close up they look pretty canine, but they are a team with a lot of speed and not much staying power, much like the Skaven, so it's easy to believe that they were Skaven earlier in development when they thought they might get the license.

The money stuff is interesting. It tells you how many people showed up for any given match and you can hire both cheerleaders and hooligans (which are described as neutralizing opposing cheerleaders among other things).

Grog

Educated
Crichton said:
The money stuff is interesting. It tells you how many people showed up for any given match and you can hire both cheerleaders and hooligans (which are described as neutralizing opposing cheerleaders among other things).

I also wonder if that slush fund you're spending at the beginning of each game for bribes and what-not might roll into the pot if you don't spend it all. It seemed like you scored a lot more money in that first game you posted screens for, when you didn't spend all the slush money. It makes sense that that there should be some pay-off for not cheating as much as possible.

Grog

Educated
Grog said:
Azira said:

Bummer. Though no halflings isn't a huge loss, as even with "The Right Stuff" and their other specials they still weren't a viable team. Throwing teammates was still amusing just for the novelty if nothing else. I hope they include it in the official Blood Bowl coming later this year.

I was just checking out the official site for the upcoming, official Blood Bowl and sure enough this video shows a troll throwing a goblin. Sweet!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I just hope they also add in the randomness of troll behaviour. I remember you had to roll on a chart to see if the troll decided to eat the goblin instead of throwing him. :lol:

mystyfly

Novice
Hi

Thanks for the writeup and screenies, interesting story.

I used to play Chaos League 1.07 and enjoy it thoroughly.

Now I got Sudden Death from a mate but he doesn't seem to have a manual. I also failed to find one online anywhere so was left to find out the new features for myself.

Now I have a few questions and hope someone can help me...

Most new concepts I believe to understand tough there are some missing like: [I don't play the english version so these are translations by me :P]

- the new way to spend money pre-match (hunt player or so)
- longevity
- hitting the ref

About longevity: If your player runs out of those points, you just "lose" him and he doesn't exist anymore? I am playing an orc team in the second division atm, in the cup, and suddently one of my QBs and a LB is missing. I loaded an earlier save and see that the longevity points are close to zero. So a) how does a player lose them, b) how can you restore them and c) what happens to the player reaching 0???

About hitting the ref: I didn't try it so might've found out myself... I think, you just hit the ref so he can't send a fouling player off the pitch? What happens to the player who hits the ref?

And can someone tell my why a) players are SO expensive after the season and b) why my cheerleaders disappeared after I went from the 3rd to the 2nd division???

Thanks in advance

mystyfly

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Well, I can't find a place to buy either Chaos League OR Sudden Death.

They seem really interesting and fun and after this Let's Play, I've been catching up on Cyanide's Blood Bowl coming out this Q2.

I do say that i find the longevity bit from Sudden Death to be annoying from what I have read and heard.

fastjack

Augur
re

i downloaded sudden death via emule, having bought and played the original chaos league years ago.

i also had it quitting on me after every game (it is a multilingual french version). For whoever else had this problem here is how i fixed it. download and install english/uk patch from patches scrolls, then download and copy over nocd from gamecopyworld, then go into the games directory and find a folder named PUB. there should be 1 subfolder named 'fr', and maybe one named 'al', make two copies of 'fr' and name them 'an' and 'en', at least if you are playing english.

the problem is that after each match the game shows a comic advert-thing and those are missing on this multilingual disc for all but french (though the patch adds one for german) so you copy over the french ones, though i dont know if the game wants an 'english' folder or 'anglais'.

one thing i miss is the commentary (which is supposed to be better in sudden death) which i thought was funny, but i dont understand french.

the hunted player thing will give you a cash bonus if you kill or injure that player in the match. The longevity thing represents age, forcing your team to not just be on a 1-way road to badassness. Personally i like it but i can see how one would not.

btw crichton, how do you get it to show the opposing teams health all the time? i only know how to show one guys at a time by clicking on him. Is it in the options?

Perfect Fool

Scholar
Anthony Davis said:

They seem really interesting and fun and after this Let's Play, I've been catching up on Cyanide's Blood Bowl coming out this Q2.

I do say that i find the longevity bit from Sudden Death to be annoying from what I have read and heard.

If you don't mind paying postage from the UK, there's a couple of used copies on amazon.co.uk...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h ... aos+league

and one on ebay.co.uk

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

The longevity thing isn't quite as awful as I originally thought, finding experienced team replacements via the "used player transfer market" isn't too bad, and if you have a big enough squad, you can rest players to gain points back.

Perfect Fool

Scholar
Re: re

fastjack said:
btw crichton, how do you get it to show the opposing teams health all the time? i only know how to show one guys at a time by clicking on him. Is it in the options?

F5 is your friend ;-)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Perfect Fool said:
Anthony Davis said:

If you don't mind paying postage from the UK, there's a couple of used copies on amazon.co.uk...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h ... aos+league

and one on ebay.co.uk

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

The longevity thing isn't quite as awful as I originally thought, finding experienced team replacements via the "used player transfer market" isn't too bad, and if you have a big enough squad, you can rest players to gain points back.

Well I should say that with a max squad of size of 15 the longevity feature becomes burdensome. I like the Transfer option as well, though obviously those players would not have the same level of emotional attachment I would imagine.

I don't have a problem with buying the game from the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, but I read on their forums about a lot of issues with expired keys and of course...the dreaded Starforce.

I'll just wait for Blood Bowl.

Perfect Fool

Scholar
Blood Bowl should be amazing... I'm playing in a 14 player tabletop league as Norse at the moment, and it's great (though my players will keep on dying on me all the time. Bloody AV 7 is a pain in the arse)

I just hope the PC version is as good as the tapletop game (which is GW's best offering, in my opinion. 40k involves far too much luck and very little tactical skill, while WHFB is getting progressively less fun and more stupidly unbalanced with each army book) athough it is slightly annoying that only 8 races are included with the original release. Still, I suppose you have to find something to fit into the expansions... oh, I don't know how much stuff they're pulling from the Living Rulebook, but there is some pretty cool tweaks in there.

Back on topic, the 15 player roster isn't that bad, you only have 9 on field players, and with careful self healing, you can avoid subbing players during the match. If a player is rested completely, (s)he regains 20pts of longevity. As long as you don't play all of your heroes and your bigfoot every game, you can pretty much keep them going for an indefinate period of time, too (given 3 heroes and 1 bigfoot playing alternate games... one of the hero types for each race is practially a bigfoot on steriods, anyway and fielding two is pretty much overkill.)

mystyfly

Novice
Thank you fastjack.

Does anyone know a mod for Chaos League (Sudden Death)??

F5 is for enemy health
F4 is for your player's health and breath
F3 is for your player's names

I usually use F4 and F5 to see which players to foul and which of mine need to heal...

Perfect Fool said:
Back on topic, the 15 player roster isn't that bad, you only have 9 on field players, and with careful self healing, you can avoid subbing players during the match. If a player is rested completely, (s)he regains 20pts of longevity. As long as you don't play all of your heroes and your bigfoot every game, you can pretty much keep them going for an indefinate period of time, too (given 3 heroes and 1 bigfoot playing alternate games... one of the hero types for each race is practially a bigfoot on steriods, anyway and fielding two is pretty much overkill.)

"Fully rested", does that mean full health or breath or both? It shouldn't be a problem healing most of your players just before the match is over...

How is longevity affected otherwise? How much is lost during a match? Is there a similarly complex (at least not straight-foreward) concept as there is with xp?

Perfect Fool

Scholar
mystyfly said:
"Fully rested", does that mean full health or breath or both? It shouldn't be a problem healing most of your players just before the match is over...

How is longevity affected otherwise? How much is lost during a match? Is there a similarly complex (at least not straight-foreward) concept as there is with xp?

Longevety:- you lose 10pts for playing a match, ten more for getting injured but you get 20 back for not playing at all. Once your team gets good, you rarely need to sub anyone during the course of a game.

Fully rested is only sitting on the sidelines during a game. It's quite possible to not sub anyone in most matches (playing on Pro)... I've been using a Wood Elf team like a Dwarf one (deploy quite deep, beat the crap out of the opposition as they move forward until most are KO'd/injured, then run someone into the endzone and pass to score.

Doing this means that you should always outnumber your opponent, as the A.I. tends to keep 2-3 players back, and if you have the skill Bold for your Wood Elf Runningbacks and eather a Treeman or the strong star player on the field, you can pretty much crush a team into the turf inside of 6 minutes (much more rapidly for squishy teams, my record is a complete goblin team knocked out/injured just after 3mins from kick off).

I started with 3 Running backs, 5 linemen and 2 Quarterbacks. Then I added another Runningback from the transfer list, a Treeman, two more Runningbacks from the transfer list (6 in total) then the three heroes, one per season (eventually sacking some of my linemen to make room). Bold is hideously overpowered, and combined with Savagery pretty much makes Runningbacks as tough as most Bigfeet/heroes.

mystyfly

Novice
Thanks, gotta try that...

This far, I usually relied on knocking down opponents and keeping them down as long as possible while fouling them. I successfully used undead, ork, goblin and dwarven teams, all physical teams.

I'll try wood elves soonish then, thanks for the tip ;)

How come you don't mention recievers? They tend to annoy me most as they're fast as hell and always able to score one or the other point... ?

Perfect Fool

Scholar
I don't use Receivers because I like scoring TDs with Runningbacks... both positions get double XP for them and I prefer the RB's skill set. Having them score most of your TDs boosts their XP and means you can grab both "Bold" and "Hold on the Ground" for them ASAP. Surgery is also excellent, when you have 3 of them playing with Surgery (2) on each, it's 18k extra on top of normal match fees!

Also, I wanted to use the Wood Elves as a smash/break team, having any more than one of my QBs on the field at once would mean there would be too many players about with a Savagery of less than 30 (by that I mean more than one), which doesn't work too well for a team looking to make your opponents eat dirt fast.

Receivers would do well in a normal Wood Elf set up, espexially if you overload a flank and get him running through for a quick pass/score from a long throw. However, you wouldn't be injuring/KOing as many players, you'd get less XP and less money (a high Injury/KO/kill game seems to give more cash than a high TD one, from my experience).

I did well with a Barbarian Team playing the fast game last time, and genarally won matches with high scores... I had 4 Receivers in that team, 2 QBs, 3 LBs, 2 Linemen, 3 heroes and a Hunter. They were good, especially as the Receivers had high Savagery, but the whole team is very easy to hurt with crumby armour values (much like the BB Norse team). I didn't get on with Dark Elves, Humans or Damned for one reason or another... may try Orcs or Pretorians next (I think Pretorians look incredibly weak on paper, though)

mystyfly

Novice
More tips - woot :)

About the money you get per match - that's another unclear thing to me - I have already seen 1) the other team getting less xp in the match 2) doing nothing but a few tackles 3) being the away team but still they got more money :( Is there any kind of formula how this money is accumulated? Also, according to how 'interesting' the game was (lots of blood etc), there seem to be more fans and more money overall - does that also work with lots of passes?

Something I haven't mentionned before: You can't seem to be able to injure/kill players of a team consisting of only 6 players. I mean, if the opponent has 9 players in the beginning, and you injure 3, you can only KO them, right? It's kinda sad but it would be stupid without that rule. However I believe to remember I managed to kill a player still after the team had only 6 players left. And I've see 5-player-teams, tough that can be explained with longevity...

So far I refrained from playing barbs, just because they die so quickly... I hate having to use breath for self-healing all the time. That would also be the reason why I never played Pretorians... But I quickly tried the Damneds... I don't fully understand their breath thingie... Once you can start bringing players on the pitch, they start to lose breath. Until... sometime, when they keep their breath. They regain it during battles, but that's usually next to nothing :( Also they're not exactly interesting to play as they have very few decent spells (Gotta love Butchery or Naked :twisted: or how they're called in english). Tried the Undead? I love them... They have good all-round players (Zombies), brutal LBs, nice recievers and Skeletwarriors with Pestilence... I love that spell :)

I have another question: On the bottom left, there's that fan-support thingie. In SD you have spells according to your clan you can choose at the beginning of the game. Now, what are those symbols on the right side about? They seem to be the same as are mentionned in the clan description (Combo: KO-KO and Tackle-Death or so for example). What are these about??

Thanks again ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom