Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Planescape Trilogy - Purgatorio Demo

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2

The demo for NWN2 mod <b><a href="http://www.roguedao.com/purgatorio/" target="blank">Purgatorio</a></b> from Rogue Dao Studios has hit <a href="http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2ModulesEnglish.Detail&id=353" target="blank">Neverwinter Vault</a>. From one of the lead Rogue Daoians, Bill Harper:
<br>
<blockquote>I really gave it my all people, tried my best to keep this promise we made to you and keep this deadline. Missed by a few hours, I think. I've got nothing left to give for the minute, it's all been given to this noble effort. And I'm far beyond exhausted from it. But despite all that, I'm still very happy (and relieved) that we'll get to share the fruit of our long labors with all of you, and soon.
<br>
<br>
We really hope you enjoy what you you experience. We hope this demo is at least worth some of the long wait. We are certainly proud of what we've got to offer you.</blockquote>
<br>
That's great, Bill, it really is. But next time don't release it as <b>43 separate downloads</b>.

Xerxos

Novice
I volunteered for a "Rogue Dao Betatester" team (back then when it wasn't deemed vapor ware). The betatest never happened.
Now it has a kind of "open alpha"? I don't understand these guys. :roll:

Starwars

Arcane
Impressions:

Lots of stuff in place, most of it is fairly rough. It's like they have the groundwork built, but there is still much work to be done in order to polish it up to a good campaign. Area creation and general atmosphere is great. They've done the Planescape setting justice no doubt, and I wasn't sure that was even possible in the NWN2 engine.

If you're a player just looking for a great RPG to play, I'd definetely hold off until later. It's definetely not finished yet.

The purpose is a bit of a mix as I understand it. They wanted to get the custom content out to builders (there is quite a lot of it as I understand it), they wanted it to act as a sort of beta test to get bug reports and they wanted create interest and possibly recruit more members to the team.

But yeah, if you're only interested in the project as a player wanting a good RPG, wait until it's more finished.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Alright, I think I'm going to hold off installing for a bit longer. Don't want to spoil the experience. Though I am very tempted to try it, at least to see a bit Sigil.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FalloutBR said:
And here I was... thinking that this was doomed to the vaporware realm.

It is doomed.
I remember they were promising full Purgatorio by the end of 2006 (unrealistic promise? Sure, but)
It took them so much time to release a small demo (~2.5 years)

And they want to release a full-blown trilogy? :roll:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This does seem to be going the way of TSLRP.

"We're working on it!"
*five years later*
"Still working on it!"

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
skyway said:
FalloutBR said:

It is doomed.
I remember they were promising full Purgatorio by the end of 2006 (unrealistic promise? Sure, but)

Skyway, you elevate nerd rage to an art-form.

Also, you guys probably shouldn't hold the current Purgatorio team to all of the promises I made 2-3 years ago, haha.

Regards,

Plays-Games-For-Fun-And-Doesn't-Bitch-About-Free-Content (My Indian name)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
People miss the point of such full fledged mod projects.

They are not meant to be played or completed.

They are meant to get the attention of real developers, so they can hire them, and use their talent in published videogames.

The level of work that you do in it can show a familiarity with game development, and looks good on your resume. You only have enough incentive to work on until the developer notices you.

MetalCraze

Arcane
MLMarkland said:
skyway said:
FalloutBR said:

It is doomed.

Skyway, you elevate nerd rage to an art-form.

Also, you guys probably shouldn't hold the current Purgatorio team to all of the promises I made 2-3 years ago, haha.

Regards,

Plays-Games-For-Fun-And-Doesn't-Bitch-About-Free-Content (My Indian name)

Well I remember when you still was on the team you had like 30+ (if not more) people working on the mod (and that's a very rare thing) so there was a huge chance of it getting finished and finished fast (expecting a single part in 2-3 years was quite realistic). The mod also looked incredibly good and much better than anything Obsidian done visually - but then RDS just went "oh much of that stuff from the video won't be in the game".
And now we don't have your game from Obsidian and the RDS is in decline too. See what consequences your choice had?

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
skyway said:
Well I remember when you still was on the team you had like 30+ (if not more) people working on the mod (and that's a very rare thing) so there was a huge chance of it getting finished and finished fast (expecting a single part in 2-3 years was quite realistic). The mod also looked incredibly good and much better than anything Obsidian done visually - but then RDS just went "oh much of that stuff from the video won't be in the game".
And now we don't have your game from Obsidian and the RDS is in decline too. See what consequences your choice had?

I disagree that RDS is in decline. They are in resurgence. They are getting stuff out there.

What I originally intended to create was, for all intents, impossible. A trilogy of three 15 hour modules will take a decade of independent, amateur modding time. My lack of perspective at the outset isn't really relevant to anything today. I was in law school at the time and the extent of my game experience was playing most of the good RPGs.

As for the consequences of my choice, I feel pretty good about them. I get paid to make video games. RDS is a long-running mod team that has enough stability and legs to exist beyond any individual team member. We came || this close to getting a commercial Planescape game into production. You win some, you lose some.

There are at least 9 people who have been compensated for game development work as a result of their involvement with RDS, and I am sure there will be more. It's a great training ground and will continue to be so and may one day turn into a full-fledged independent development studio. I'm proud to have helped get people into the industry and I'm proud that something I created continues to exist without any involvement on my part for the better part of 14 months now.

Will things be perfect? Never. Will cool things happen in the future? Probably. Will Purgatorio get finished one day? Almost certainly. Will it be exactly what I said it would be 3 years ago when the process started? Definitely not. Do I look great in a fedora? Fuck yes.

Monty

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hey MLMarkland, if you can give a reasonable estimate of development time for a game...

how long would it take for one person to make a computer adaptation of Gary Gygax's Tomb Of Horrors module, based on 2ed rules, using simple 2D graphics a la either Ultima top down or Wizardry first-person?

How long would it take you?

Shannow

Waster of Time
More than 3 years for ca 30 people to do a 15 hour mod sounds very slow to me. I'm aware that they don't "work fulltime" on it but still, single guys made whole games like Eschalon or the Spiderweb games. Hell, Adam Miller made a campaign for NWN1 in 6 or so modules that had at least 40 hours of gameplay and it took him "only" 5 years or so.
Since my own modding experiences only boil down to changing some scripts and dicking around with item and troop editors in M&B for a week or so, I'm really not one to judge. In fact I do not judge, I'm just saying that it seems very slow when compared to some others.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Shannow said:
More than 3 years for ca 30 people to do a 15 hour mod sounds very slow to me. I'm aware that they don't "work fulltime" on it but still, single guys made whole games like Eschalon or the Spiderweb games. Hell, Adam Miller made a campaign for NWN1 in 6 or so modules that had at least 40 hours of gameplay and it took him "only" 5 years or so.
Since my own modding experiences only boil down to changing some scripts and dicking around with item and troop editors in M&B for a week or so, I'm really not one to judge. In fact I do not judge, I'm just saying that it seems very slow when compared to some others.

What is important to recognize is that there are endeavors whose difficulty increases linearly with scope and endeavors whose difficulty increases exponentially with scope.

The most significant constraint on the speed of progress on doing a total conversion mod like Purgatorio is the size of the team necessary to accomplish the task itself. You have to have members of the team that can do music, VFX, rig, animate, texture, model, script, design levels, write dialog, create UIs, etc.

Now your team is 15+ people, but they are all part-timers at best, and many of them won't be very good and some of them will be negative-useful. Now you have to be in a constant state of recruitment to satisfy the goals of the project, and now the most talented modders, who naturally assume the positions of authority in the project don't spend any time modding anymore, now they are managers and producers, and so you start trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

This makes managing the scope of the endeavor critical. You must shoot for a narrower slice of high quality content to make success achievable. You must decide which features are essential and which are not.

Now you are, for all intents and purposes managing a full game development team, but none of them are trained, none of them have any experience and none of them are paid. Now you say, okay, let's make something reasonable, let's get to a point where the team can achieve success -- but wait you are constrained by what some blowhard said 3 years ago about the length of the module, so no matter what you do you will be considered a failure -- etc.

Once you create a project that crosses every discipline, and does so deeply, rigging, animation, environment art, character art, music, SFX, dialog, etc. -- you must accept that these things all cost. You can't escape the iron triangle, just because you are a mod team.

Cost, time, scope, quality -- one of those things has to give. In the mod team environment cost is free, so time and quality take the hardest hits. Scope management is something seasoned professionals are bad at too, so its hard to expect a mod team to do that well.

The mod teams that successfully manage scope are the ones that produce playable content.

Scope is not equal to game length; that's a rabbit hole. Scope is about the totality of the feature set, including the generation of assets to support that feature set.

Wyrmlord said:
Hey MLMarkland, if you can give a reasonable estimate of development time for a game...

how long would it take for one person to make a computer adaptation of Gary Gygax's Tomb Of Horrors module, based on 2ed rules, using simple 2D graphics a la either Ultima top down or Wizardry first-person?

How long would it take you?

Once you go older style graphics, you can get things done a lot faster because your talent pool expands dramatically. There are a lot more people who can reproduce those graphic styles you mentioned than there are that have the capability to produce 3D models with hi-poly sculpt normal map renders, weighted to a skeleton, rigged and animated (which is the kind of challenge facing a big mod team doing a TC).

I remember playing that module, but I don't recall enough details of it to give a clear estimation of scope. Am I starting with an engine? Am I starting with some game layer? Do I have to code all of these things myself?

I hate it when people won't give answers to straightforward questions because they are afraid of being wrong.

If I was a one-man team, and I had to code everything from scratch.

a) 4 months to learn XNA and C# well enough to get the job done
b) 4 months of production -- generating art assets, content, etc.
c) 4 months of post-production -- audio, polishing, iterating

That's a wildly rough estimate, but I would guess from 0-60, on a reasonably sized adventure module (2-5 hours), it would take me a year.

Monty

EDIT - my estimates assume I am doing this in my spare time and on weekends and I am super dedicated. If I could work on it full time, I would cut production time in half, and prepro and post by a quarter, so around 8 months full-time.

Pre and post don't scale as well as production because knowledge acquisition (pre) doesn't scale as well as general content-creation and polish/iteration (post) doesn't scale as well as general content-creation.

On the upside, at least the law market is booming, so you can fall back on that now that the Obsidian thing didn't work out!

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
WanderingThrough2 said:
On the upside, at least the law market is booming, so you can fall back on that now that the Obsidian thing didn't work out!

I still work in the game industry and have no intention of ever practicing law.

The Obsidian thing worked out great. I simply chose to part ways; that doesn't change the fact that it was easily the best job I ever had the pleasure of working.

baby arm said:
That's great, Bill, it really is. But next time don't release it as <b>43 separate downloads</b>.

That was actually done in an attempt to comply with the new Vault policies on filespace. It was not done by personal choice, nor with any malicious intent at inflicting carpel tunnel disorders. We have torrents seeding for you in the meantime with full packages, and will consider an installer package along with the next update we release.

AlanC9

Liturgist
The separate downloads are great for dialup players. Yes, there are still some folks who can't get broadband.

Warden

Arbiter
Good you reminded me. I should remove that, it's been a long time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom