Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo DS anyone?

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
So someone just re-gifted me a DS.

Which I've heard there's good games for out there...
What does it have in the way of good RPG or strategy or just plain good gameplay?

I got a Japanese DS, anyone know if that will prevent me from playing US games?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You can always buy My Japanese Coach, learn to speak Japanese and then import games from Japan and play them with the help of your newly learned language skills.

Catalina

Scholar
The DS is region free, so you can play games from any region.

ScummVM DS works, but playing a squashed, bastardized Monkey Island 2 on a 2-inch screen with a stylus instead of a mouse is about as much fun as it sounds.

As for games worth playing... well, there's not much. Etrian Odyssey is a classic dungeon-crawler that is properly difficult and low on plot. Shiren the Wanderer is a port of the great SNES roguelike. For turn-based strategy, there's Rondo of Swords and the two Advance Wars games (neither of which are as good as the GBA ones). Hm.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Hobo Elf said:
You can always buy My Japanese Coach, learn to speak Japanese and then import games from Japan and play them with the help of your newly learned language skills.
I know Japanese, but it's irrelevant, I can't be fucked to go to the trouble of acquiring Japanse games. Why would I?

This thing came with a nipper copy of Super Mario. Basicaly the same game I played on the NES 20 years ago. If that's all this system has to offer, then I'm Ebaying this shit.
And the chick who gave it to me has the english learning program and her english blows.

I thought this system had some decent strat games or is it all Donkey Kong and Mario typr shit because my appetite for that got played out in 1985.

edit:
Catalina said:
The DS is region free, so you can play games from any region.
Cool, thanks.

What's ScumVM an emulator?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Does nintendo ds have stilus pen (or something)?
DosBox also runs on DS iirc - so you can play any DOS RTS from PC using it.
As well as DOS RPGs (including Fallout 1)

Cimmerian Nights said:

LucasArts adventures or any other games that use Scumm engine (like Beneath A Steel Sky)

Dadrious

Novice
skyway said:
Does nintendo ds have stilus pen (or something)?
DosBox also runs on DS iirc - so you can play any DOS RTS from PC using it.
As well as DOS RPGs (including Fallout 1)

Cimmerian Nights said:

LucasArts adventures or any other games that use Scumm engine (like Beneath A Steel Sky)

I've been considering getting a DS for some time now, but if you can actually play DOS rpgs on it then i'm sold...

Zeus

Cipher
Cimmerian Nights said:
What does it have in the way of good RPG or strategy or just plain good gameplay?

Age of Empires DS is pretty good. It's NOT an RTS game. It's been remade as a turn-based strategy title. There's some simple grid-based city building, random treasures on the map, five campaigns, customized battles, etc, etc. The combat is resolved a little like Advance Wars or the old Shining Force or Civ or something. There's a unit cap so you can't just crank out a bunch of troops.

The only problem is, it has one of the WORST VIDEOGAME BUGS OF ALL TIME. (Self plug! *grins*)

Seriously, if you get Age of Empires DS, be careful what you name your profile.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
you can run dosbox, you just can't run anything in dosbox.

Lingwe

Liturgist
シメリアンナイツは日本語を分かる! 全然知らなかった. どこに勉強しました, それとも日本人ですか?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dosbox has never been ported to the DS. They dried once, but gave up.

My recommendations: Contra 4, Etrian Odyssey 1&2, Dark Spire when it is released, Kirby Superstar Ultra Deluxe, New York Times Crosswords and Harper Collins 100 Books Collection.

Edit: ユ ファ キン グ ウィアブス

Andhaira

Arcane
Dragonquest 4 and 5. I am considering buyin the DS just for those two games plus dark spire.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I've been playing a puzzle game for DS called Professor Layton. It's pretty fun and the puzzles are rather clever. Art style is a bit childish though.

There's also fun multiplayer fighting game called Jump Ultimate Stars that plays a lot like Super Smash Bros but with manga characters instead of Nintendo guys. Pretty fun with a fucking shitload of playable characters but you'll need to import it from Japan.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
Pretty fun with a fucking shitload of playable characters but you'll need to import it from Japan.

Too bad all of them are for pussies except Kenshiro, Raoh, Jotaro and Dio :cool:

Grog

Educated
I heard a request for RPG/Strategy on the DS?

I suggest Fire Emblem. It's turn-based strategy with RPG character building, and brutal real death.

The guys at Atlus release some interesting stuff too, such as the previously mentioned Etrian Odyssey, Etryian Odyssey 2, and the upcoming Dark Spire.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I could never call Fire Emblem a strategy game. Combat is a simple rock-paper-scissors system, and you always get a character in the very beginning of the game who is capable of obliterating every motherfucker with ease throughout the first half.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom