Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age flips Elves on their heads

DraQ

Arcane
@sheek:

Fuck. First I freaked out, seeing your post not only being completely reasonable, but agreeable as well. Then I remembered you can write very solid posts in RPG-related topics and are a total dumbfuck only outside of them.

Can I ask you to post something RPG-related instead of posting in GD or anywhere else, whenever you feel the need to post on the Codex?

Inclining the Codex will earn you the gratitude of many.

Ooooo it has racism and changes the role of elfs. Who gives a crap? superficial bullshit that will have no impact on the quality of the game whatsoever.... instead it will be the same superficial racism found in ME.

Ausir

Arcane
There are two kinds of elves now, City Elfs that live -meh- cities, but in closed quarters of their own, in an elvish ghetto of sorts. In this Elvish quarter there is a big tree alle (city) elfs rever.

Then we have the Dalish elves, they live way out in the Alienage, trying to get back at the humans, fighting for the(ir) elven rights, looking for ancient elven artefacts as a way to restore glory to the elves again.

If you changed the names, it would sound 100% like Sapkowski's books and The Witcher.

Nael

Arcane
This is the top of the value chain as I see it:

Mr%20T.jpg

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Chefe said:
Yes, because we all know how often the Inca are ripped off in video games. Every time I turn around in a fantasy RPG it's like I'm back in the Andes, knotting threads to keep track of the amount of llama meat in my storehouse.
Before Midway "did some stuff" with Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, there were actually a lot of cool Central and South American elements in the dominant culture, the Urcointi.

The Imperial Sorcerers were super math dudes who acted as spies and agents of the emperor, passing on information through knots woven into otherwise ordinary-looking fabric. They also were pretty rad artillery commanders. The Urcointi used "water dragons" to defend some of their mountain fortresses. They were effectively trebuchets mounted near waterfalls, using hydraulics to rapidly "cock" the arm. The engines were mounted on large smooth stone circles that engineers would push according to the dictates of the Imperial Sorcerer. He would chill out near the back of the water dragon next to an abacus and calculate the required power and heading for any given shot.

I don't know where I'm going with this but the Inca were cool and Midway... man, Midway.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Only a whopping 61 posts after being a member of Codex for close to 6 years? Are we really that boring of a group to talk with? :)

Eldritch

Scholar
I bet he'll change his mind and posting routine when he sees our new fabulous selection of Josh Sawyer Avatara.

Hey Josh, be sure and let us know about the Aliens Rpg's storyline if the whole shithouse goes down in flames after the Alpha-Mass Effect Protocol tanks, eh? I pray everyday to the Quetzalcouatl who is actually Cleveland Mark Blakemore's white ape originated super aspergers intelligent deity who lived before the last ice age with his celestial cloned cheetas that the Alpha Effect succeeds to make way for some Alien goodness, but that's not your niche, mang.

Does the Weyland-Yutani discover the genetically engineered Von Neumann Automata nature of the Xenomorph designed by the Space Jockeys, and were conducting research on them to utilize them as an effective interstellar weapon of mass destruction or something. There ain't no bullshit FTL a la BSG in the Aliens universe and even the Derelict Jockey Ship was traveling slowly in a cryogenic stasis so you can't obviously carry entire armies in huge fleets to subdue&conquer an entire, established solar system with the massive advantage without devastating the planets you really want intact with most of its colonial population. Some instant, self replicating army that imitates its victim species form through its reproduction over its destruction sounds like a p. sweet way of interstellar warfare. Maybe they were "programmed" to die out after consuming most of the native dominant species population. They're also natural infiltrators. I remember Carl Sagan shitting bricks over the whole Von Neumann Automata army concept at the time but this is more terrifying than what they imagined because of its organic origin and the horribly effective design. Biological entities are also machines in a way, doesn't matter if its design material is organic instead of mechanic, along with a programming of some kind. Do the W-Y manage to salvage some Jockey artifacts, did the experiments go terribly wrong, were we to find ourselves in a team stranded in such a fucked up hellhole of a facility with some weird shit going on... ???

Let a brother peep the goods, man.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
So the elves used to rule the lands but the humans came and conquered and enslaved them? Yet another white colonialism reference I see. Bioware really has a fetish for these things -- talk about your white guilt.

Ebonsword

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
The elves hate the humans. The humans despise the elves and regard them as second-class citizens.

How is this new? Didn't Morrowind have this same damn setup?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
'Yes"

You forget one important fact. The Codex has ruled that i am retarded. All this and the fact I'm still here proves only a retard would stick with the Codex all these years and post as much as I do.

"How is this new? Didn't Morrowind have this same damn setup?"

Wasn't new in MW either. D&D done it.

Smarts

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Volourn said:
"If someone wants to be original, they should make a game where the approach of humans has actually inspired elves and they've become more industrious and powerful, changing from a tribal hippie lifestyle to a modern nation."

Done by D&D. *yawn*

Everything has been done in D&D because there are countless pen and paper players who play their own campaigns and they're a LOT more creative than those professional game designers out there.

Also, not been done in a PC game so STFU Volly.

Does a fan-made Neverwinter Nights module count?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom