Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas - By Obsidian, For Bethesda

Black

Arcane
So if we have Obsidian guys here allow me to take advantage of you.

1) Will it feature turn-based combat and isometric view.
2) Will it be easily-moddable.
3) Will it be more serious like Fallout 1 or goofy like FO2?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Elwro said:
This is fantastic news. Screw the naysayers.
Gotta agree.

The only thing is: I wish it wasn't using the Fallout 3 engine. But still, surely better news than anything about whatever Bethesda is developing next, and "Fallout 3.5 by Obsidian" interests me more than Alpha Protocol.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis said:
Black Islers who worked on FO but are now at Blizzard:
Leonard Boyarski (sp?)

And Gary Platner and Eddie Rainwater. I think Blizzard dug Fallout's art or something, because that's not a bad bite out of Fallout's art staff (two leads, for one).

Not opining either way, just pointing out.

Chefe

Erudite
The FO3 engine was fine. It was the game surrounding it that sucked. Quit giving Bethesda so much credit here. They're only outsourcing this for a quick buck.

Anyways, as long as Obsidian doesn't do any incredibly stupid dialog, makes the world actually feel desolate and post-apocalyptic, and possibly manages to fix some of the animations and cooky RAI behavior, this will be a very enjoyable game. After all, the only way they could fuck up an engine that has been almost perfected over the use of two AAA games is if they explicitly made that one of their project goals.

Sckarecrow92

Educated
A lot of the Oblivion fans are becoming disillusioned, right? Maybe Bethesda thinks that, in order to keep these consumers, they have to make a good game. So, realizing that they themselves are incapable of making a good game, they decide to pay Obsidian to do it. Also, they decide to keep the FO3 engine to save time and money, because they're not trying to make a good game, good game, but a "good" game, good game, good enough so that they'll be able to brainwash another generation, not good enough for the codex.

But then, to counter the evil scheme, Obsidian doesn't dumb it down! And when the game starts appearing to be actually good, Bethesda, in an effort to keep their fans from experiencing a decent RPG, cancels the spin-off.

bat_boro

Arcane
Mister Sawyer, could you tell us how many people are working on New Vegas?
Assuming you've worked on the game for something like 3-6 months, plus another a year and a half (assuming it's out in the holiday season) I'm not sure that is enough development time for a role playing game of this scope ( FO 3 scope) :?

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Black said:
So if we have Obsidian guys here allow me to take advantage of you.

1) Will it feature turn-based combat and isometric view.

The most important question of them all. I will never consider NV a Fallout game unless this requirement (or the first part of it, at least) is met.
Optimists can go to hell for all I care.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Another Vegas game, awesome.

Can't wait for Call of Duty: Vegas. Halo: Vegas. Rainbow Six 3: Vegas 3. Battlefield Bad Company 3 : Vegas.

raziel014

Novice
racofer said:
Of course, they will also butcher an already fucked up engine, requiring three times the computing power that current fallout 3 does.

You kidding? Bethesda did an amazing job on such a crapped out engine, the results are quite incredible. They managed to get rid of the studid cell loading system from Morrowind and Oblivion. Plus managed to smooth out everything at the same time.
I've got both Oblivion and Fallout 3 installed on the same semi-good laptop. Oblivion barely run, it's complete slideshow. And Fallout 3 runs smooth with even higher graphic settings.

Bethesda do on the other hand need to begin to invest in newer software for their games. Crapped out GameBryo engine in 2009 is quite FAILure really. They need to buy CryEngine 3 and Euphoria Engine, LightSprint and Umbrella for a game like Fallout 4 or TES5.
Really really am hoping for Euphoria in their games. That would've been amazing.

Nedrah

Erudite
While I'm quite sure that no, no it won't have isometric perspective or turn-based combat, I can't think of any current studio that would be more capable of actually pulling of something enjoyable with Fallout. I'd prefer something original, but in any case, this is far from bad news so far.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
bat_boro said:
Assuming you've worked on the game for something like 3-6 months, plus another a year and a half (assuming it's out in the holiday season) I'm not sure that is enough development time for a role playing game of this scope ( FO 3 scope) :?
Sorry, but I can't really discuss any details of the game right now. For now everything should go through Pete Hines/Bethesda folks.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Remember, folks. This isn't an Obsidian game. This is a Bethesda game developed by Obsidian.

Gotta give Bethesda for their evil genius minds. I just tried to play FO3, and found it to be absolutely horrible. I figured I was done with the FO world; but thye pull this shit. LMAO

Good stuff.

bhlaab

Erudite
J.E. Sawyer said:
bat_boro said:
Sorry, but I can't really discuss any details of the game right now. For now everything should go through Pete Hines/Bethesda folks.

I'm just going to say that if there isn't turn based combat I am going to punch you in the spine so hard that all the grape drink your momma fed you spews out of your stupid head.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
bhlaab said:
J.E. Sawyer said:
bat_boro said:

I'm just going to say that if there isn't turn based combat I am going to punch you in the spine so hard that all the grape drink your momma fed you spews out of your stupid head.
nerd rage lolroflalolololrotflmaolololnigger

Chefe

Erudite
It's unfortunate that we can't talk to the Pete Hines / Bethesda folk. They have some sort of vendetta against the RPG Codex, for unknown reasons.

bhlaab said:
dunce.gif

bat_boro

Arcane
Chefe said:
It's unfortunate that we can't talk to the Pete Hines / Bethesda folk. They have some sort of vendetta against the RPG Codex, for unknown reasons.

Maybe Hines giving Obsidian the next FO game is a sign of good will on his part?
Maybe he wants to make up with the Codex? :shock:

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
We don't want another Knights of the Old Republic II. At least try to fucking finish it this time.

Vibalist

Arcane
Jedi_Learner said:
We don't want another Knights of the Old Republic II. At least try to fucking finish it this time.

Meh. They can do whatever they want with it. They don't owe you anything.

Seriously, what's with the sour attitudes, people? Obsidian making a FO game may not be every codexers wet dream come true, but it's still good news. Complaining about all the shit that comes out is fine, but when something good is actually on the way, it's sad that people still find things to hate about it. Lighten up.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Jedi_Learner said:
And, please, less raping of the setting this time.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Vibalist said:
Jedi_Learner said:

Meh. They can do whatever they want with it. They don't owe you anything.
Bethtard level argument detected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom