Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demigod must be good, pirates crashed the server.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
<strong>[ Article ]</strong>

<p>The Escapist have an <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91001-Demigod-Piracy-Running-High">interesting piece up about Demigod</a>: </p><blockquote><p><span>In yesterday's <a href="http://forums.demigodthegame.com/346815/" target="_blank">Day One Status Report</a>, Stardock CEO Brad Wardell revealed that the company's network was clobbered by a heavy influx of users anxious to get online with <em>Demigod</em>, the vast majority of whom were running illegitimate copies. "The system works pretty well if you have a few thousand people online at once. The system works... less well if there are tens of thousands of people online at once," he wrote. "And if there are over 100,000 people, well, you get horrific results such as the game being incredibly unresponsive due to simple web service calls that were considered pretty benign during the beta that suddenly start to bring down firewalls and such due to the sheer massive number of calls that are being made."</span></p><p><span> "Before the game shipped, I wrote a scary email to our team saying how disastrous things would be and predicted doom for us and <a href="http://www.gaspowered.com/" target="_blank">GPG</a> if there were problems with multiplayer," he wrote</span>
</p></blockquote><p>So if the game had sold a hundred thousand copies legitimately, what would happen then? Only 18,000 of the 120,000 copies are reported to be legitimate. <a href="http://forums.demigodthegame.com/346815/">The Day One Status Report</a> goes over how they're addressing the problem by shuttling pirates off to a different server.</p><p>What I'd like to see is the break-down of statistics that shows which countries those pirates come from.
</p>

Jim Cojones

Prophet
The system works pretty well if you have a few thousand people online at once. The system works... less well if there are tens of thousands of people online at once
speech.jpg

Astromarine

Erudite
the 18k connections were concurrent, which has nothing to do with sales. unfortunately, that also means A LOT more than 100k people pirated the game :D

Works fine by now though

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I'm no Astro, but-

It's okay, a little shallow, but okay. There are some "oh, neato" moments, but by and large it is pretty straightforward. I am hanging on for some improvements, but I support the cause (so I bought it from my local neglected software carrier).

I played better "maps" on WC3 (DotA was certainly not one of them). Although I can understand that they in no way had design goals that those "maps" had.

Please note: I prefer finesse abilities rather than 100% accurate sticky targeting fire&forget uber abilities. It is kind of like the Bejeweled of RTT games. I can see housewives playing this.

Astromarine

Erudite
as a differing opinion, I really like the game. All of the demigods play different, there's a ton of options for how you progress in the game, and the back and forth on the front lines can make for some awesome moments. It's one of my favorite games of recent times, and I haven't even explored all the demigods yet.

Balor

Arcane
Neat, but shallow.

Perfectly summarises Demigod.
It also signs it's death warrant. I can bet my dick it will share fate of that commercial SC that failed horribly.
Well, it might bring a profit, and may be played for a while - but unless they will expand the game drastically and fix the balance asap (Oak, I'm looking at you, you rascal!)... see above.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
you have to be a friggin retarded pirate to not have a software firewall/app blocker or actually try connecting to something official with a pirated copy..

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Why? They dont sue you anyway and you are productive! You contribute ... to the statistic.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Yes, accept, that some people treat others only as a statistics.

Sounds bloody familiar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom