Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The future of D&D on PC

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It looks pretty dim as far as I can tell.

NWN2 and DDO were the last two D&D PC games we've seen, and their individual runs are pretty much done. We may see another interesting module or two for NWN2 eventually, but it's clear that Electron's appeal - what little it originally had - has worn off for the most part. DDO never really took off.

What's the current status of 4E? Has WOTC gotten any closer to doing their whole online tabletop thing, and will that pretty much spell the end for any single-player D&D CRPG's?

Is it all at an end?

Edit: A thousand pardons for neglecting to mention ToEE. A truly unforgiveable sin!

Imbecile

Arbiter
Crispy said:
It looks pretty dim as far as I can tell.

NWN2 and DDO were the last two D&D PC games we've seen, and their individual runs are pretty much done. We may see another interesting module or two for NWN2 eventually, but it's clear that Electron's appeal - what little it originally had - has worn off for the most part. DDO never really took off.

What's the current status of 4E? Has WOTC gotten any closer to doing their whole online tabletop thing, and will that pretty much spell the end for any single-player D&D CRPG's?

Is it all at an end?

I dunno. I'm kind of liking what I've seen of 4e, and it seems perfectly designed for a turn based RPG on tiles. Bottom line is that whether its with dnd or another system, we'll still be being beaten round the head with more generic fantasy rpgs than we can shake a stick at.

Squeek

Scholar
The genre should split, IMO, with the console approach going one way and the PC another. The first being arcade-game interpretation where you steer yourself around whatever place you're in, looking for interesting ways to interact with whatever's there, and the second being largely open to innovation. But it would use the PC more as a thinking machine than a multimedia generator.

The cRPG I would like to see made would work more like an interactive story and less like a bumper car.

Andhaira

Arcane
4e will make a fantastic turnbased crpg. I only hope each power has a different animation, or at the least try to have as many different animations as you can.

Liberal

Barely Literate
3E D&D CRPGs mostly drew inspiraiton from 2E hits (Baldur's Gate, etc.), which in turn were based on the oldschool legends (Eye of Beholder, Pool of Radience, etc.). So, I'm guessing, new D&D RPGs will either continue beating the dead horse, or come out as mediocre. There is the possibility of 4E CRPGsl being both innovative and top notch, but it's madness to even suggest such a thing. :skyway:

Panthera

Scholar
AndhairaX said:
4e will make a fantastic turnbased crpg. I only hope each power has a different animation, or at the least try to have as many different animations as you can.

I agree that 4E would probably make a better turnbased CRPG than it does a pen and paper game.

Redeye

Arcane
How much stupid can follow after stupid?

Doesn't the Wheel of Time dictate that eventually smart must come from stupid before degenerating into stupid again?

Or is this a self-perpetuating stupid-loop like the Great Red Spot?

that too shall pass

4E...

If it realy does have such wonderful turn-based potential, then the inpiration can be taken from that holographic monster chess game on board the Falcon in Star Wars- just have the pieces move around like in ToEE.
Do the stories/etc. like the BG series.

Could be alright.

Even if consoles drive it by adapting fighting card games.

Fenril

Scholar
Hobo Elf said:
Crispy said:
Is it all at an end?

We can only hope

Seconded.

If so, good riddance. Fuck using ADnD. Always better to design a system from scratch with only the kind of game you want in mind. No crappy adaptation woes.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
There's always Incursion - http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

Best computer d20 adaptation I've ever seen. Could only be done in a low-gfx environment, I guess. It's pretty bitichin' even at this stage of development (I especially loved playing a wizord specializing in Abjuration), and the dude making that game seems to have his head in the right place.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hümmelgümpf said:
Wait, it's not an Andhaira thread?
This.

What is DDO?

And as far as 4th ed is concerned, I couldn't care less. They won't go for TB in computergames anymore so they can just as well not use D&D. Not that it was a good system for cRPGs to begin with.

getter77

Augur
PrzeSzkoda said:
There's always Incursion - http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

Best computer d20 adaptation I've ever seen. Could only be done in a low-gfx environment, I guess. It's pretty bitichin' even at this stage of development (I especially loved playing a wizord specializing in Abjuration), and the dude making that game seems to have his head in the right place.

Indeed...not to mention the latest and greatest update for it should be available for it sometime this Summer I reckon.

Otherwise, there's really no telling. Like the case with the Might & Magic Rpg/puzzler, ya never know what all is being worked on and planned for until it happens.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This is not an andhaira thread because this is not an inane question.

I must have my D&D and I cannot bring myself to play it in front of other people.

I'm a closet nerd, you see.

Edit: Devil's post count!

Erebus

Arcane
Redeye said:
Doesn't the Wheel of Time dictate that eventually smart must come from stupid before degenerating into stupid again?

No, the Wheel of Time says that somebody who has found a cash cow will milk it over and over and over and over and over again.

I know very little about 4e and what I've heard suggested it was kinda like WoW. If I remember correctly, the only settings left (for now) are Eberron and Eberron II (formerly know as "Forgotten Realms"). Mind you, an Eberron game could be pretty interesting.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Erebus said:
Redeye said:

No, the Wheel of Time says that somebody who has found a cash cow will milk it over and over and over and over and over again.

I know very little about 4e and what I've heard suggested it was kinda like WoW. If I remember correctly, the only settings left (for now) are Eberron and Eberron II (formerly know as "Forgotten Realms"). Mind you, an Eberron game could be pretty interesting.

Dungeons & Dragons Online is based on the Eberron setting

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
DDO was great when I first started playing it, and was the only MMO that truly had me interested in grouping up. Its realtime combat setup was a major turn off though, and it took all the charm out of thinking you were actually playing a D&D game.

Also, the Dungeon Master voice overs for certain areas were really cool, but were far too rare. Shame the whole game wasn't like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom