Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BGII: How to kill the fucking vampires and werewolves?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Nice reply, Elwro.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Actually, all you need for beholders is one of the two pieces of phat lewt. Either shield of balduran which you can purchase in adventurer's mart from the start if you have the tob patch installed, or cloak of mirroring which you find later on after spellhold.

Reklar

Liturgist
Another way to cheese your way past liches (or vampires I assume) is to buy a scroll of undead protection. I kept getting slaughtered when I went after Daystar (lich by the gatehouse) and I read about that tactic, so I found the scroll (don't recall where, but there's only a couple of them in the game), bought it, and used it on Yoshimo who proceeded to unlock the chest and steal the sword without the lich even knowing he was there. Then I had my fighter (my PC) equip Daystar and it became a very short fight.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

kenney bounces

Liturgist
To kill vampires :

1) Cast chaotic command on a tank. (prevents charm)

2) Equip the tank with a negative plane protection necklace (or cast the spell). (prevents level drain)

Ozrat

Novice
Elwro said:
A good tip is to cast a fireball at the spot at the fog of war's edge where you suspect the baddies are standing before the fight; it works very well.
Buy equipment from stores! A +2 weapon might be a lot better then +1, because to hit some creatures you just need an appropriate +n modifier.
As a side note, I finished the game with Korgan and Aerie, despite the fact that many people had told me it was impossible.
I could've sworn that I listed the fireball trick as one of my main techniques, but I guess it slipped by me. All of my characters have at least +2 weapons and all of them have at least a couple of +1 armours.

Aerie is one of my favorite party members, but I've never had Korgan join my party. Not sure if he can now either since my rep is at least 18 by now.

Just started the 5th Chapter earlier today. Like the character development. :D

I also dig the Mace of Disruption a lot.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
A real man can take on all comers without any of those newfangled parties you young'ins are all a gaggle over... as a bard.

No joke, one of my most powerful BGII characters was a bard. Then again, this was with ToB installed.

8 attacks a round + Tenser's Transformation is pretty badass.

Ozrat

Novice
So I'm still in Chapter 5.

I'm getting these weird map bugs. Sometimes when I try to delete custom landmarks or move the cursor even near one the game quits and goes back to Desktop.

Is this common?

Seven

Erudite
Ozrat said:
So I'm still in Chapter 5.

I'm getting these weird map bugs. Sometimes when I try to delete custom landmarks or move the cursor even near one the game quits and goes back to Desktop.

Is this common?

Nope, have you installed the patch? BTW, if you like BG2 then you should try Divine Divinity.

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
If you liked BG2 I would recommend Throne of Bhaal for you will surely enjoy it for all that it offers.

I dunno, that was just one endless kill fest; it was brutal. In my humble opinion, they should have left something to the imagination rather than tying up *all* of the loose ends like that. But then of course there were tons of people who were clamoring for it so...

Seven

Erudite
Transcendent One said:
No. Divine Divinity was terrible in comparison [edit to be fair: at least what I've played of it].

I actually found that i enjoyed most of the beginning, but hated the end because it just came down to kill'em all.

EDIT: Ack, I've just double posted haven't I.

The Exar

Liturgist
I agree. ToB was hack`n`slash game,i liked SoA more - better story, gameplay, quests and locations. But i must addmit, that the better battles were in ToB.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
For an expansion i thought tob was decent. Much better than totsc anyways. But yeah, it's a hackfest and it has the worst storyline of any bg thing (other than totsc which is a random collection of dungeons, of course).

Rayt

Liturgist
Vampire are quite easy. Just equip a spellcaster tank with the amulet you get from the leader of the thieves guild. As it can only be worn by druids, mages and clerics, I'd get Anomen as he's quite good at taking hits. Because the AI is quite, err, well not there, the vampires attack the first person they see and keep on attacking it. So after your bait has attracted the vampires, move the rest in to finish them off.

Windspears dungeon is quite nifty when it comes to scaling; if you go there after you did Spellhold and such, the place is filled with greater werewolves and ademantium golems. Quite a treat.

About Protection from Undead scrolls, they were the only way for me to deal with that demi-lich. Pretty sad how those prevented my level 15 party from the most powerfull being in the game. Oh, and high level clerics (level 18+?) instantly kill lichs with turn undead.

As for Beholders, the Cloak of Reflection makes them as dangerous as kobolds. Though if you have the game patched and/or TOB installed, you need the delete a certain file (clk36.something in the override folder) to unleash it's full munchkin potential. TOB, though a disappointing sequal in terms of roleplaying (non-excistent), I'd recommend buying anyway, since the hack&slash part is quite fun if you're accustomed to the IE combat and it does wrap up the story pretty nicely.

The Exar

Liturgist
Transcendent One said:
IIRC cloak of reflection only reflects electric attacks. Cloak of mirroring is the one that basically makes you immune to all magic damage.
Yeah. Spells like Magic Missiles, Lightning Bolt, Fireball and even Abi`Dalzims Horid Wilting cant even touch your charcater. A very usefull item, indeed.

almondblight

Arcane
Maybe I'll actually finish BGII one of these days; I got about 10 hours into it but was turned off by the lackluster combat, which I was pretty tired of after I played the decenlty entertaining IWD, and some of the questionable gameplay mechanics. Also, having not played the ifrst there were a lot of nods to things I had no idea of.

Still, I thought the game had some fun parts mixed in, and the random storyline parts were pretty cool. I just don't have enough time and effort to put into it.

suibhne

Erudite
One thing nobody's mentioned yet (I think) is Turn Undead. If you've actually cheated to get your characters up to Level 20, as you claimed, your cleric can dust vamps without breaking a sweat. Using an invisible Anomen, whom I levelled up without cheating, I waltzed through Bodhi's lair near the endgame and turned every single vamp except for Bodhi.

As for the infinitely-regenerating werewolves, that's a well-documented bug. You either need to restart the dungeon (at the point when it's populated with baddies) or simply reload your saved game and try again - I honestly can't recall.

Reklar

Liturgist
suibhne said:
One thing nobody's mentioned yet (I think) is Turn Undead. If you've actually cheated to get your characters up to Level 20, as you claimed, your cleric can dust vamps without breaking a sweat. Using an invisible Anomen, whom I levelled up without cheating, I waltzed through Bodhi's lair near the endgame and turned every single vamp except for Bodhi.

As for the infinitely-regenerating werewolves, that's a well-documented bug. You either need to restart the dungeon (at the point when it's populated with baddies) or simply reload your saved game and try again - I honestly can't recall.

Welcome back, suibhne. :)

You should be able to reach level 20 without cheating if you have the Throne of Bhaal expansion installed. I don't recall the level caps for each of the classes, but I think it's around 17 or 18 for single-class fighters with only Shadows of Amn and much higher (30-35ish) with Throne of Bhaal. Single-class thieves were the only class who could reach level 40 supposedly since their xp per level requirements are much lower. A friend of mine played a cleric in BG2:SoA and BG2:ToB and told me how much fun it was to watch mummies, vampires, and liches go poof when she activated Turn Undead. It was almost enough for me to try it, but I prefer fighter classes and I never finished the game anyway. Maybe one day, after I rebuild my machine and put in the larger HDD.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I easily reached 20-something levels in SoA only, with ToB installed. Then I got quickly bored in ToB and stopped playing.

Ozrat

Novice
Damn, people are still responding to this thread? :P

I started doing Chapter 6 last time I played BGII (over a week ago at least) and I'm finding that the storyline is A LOT more interesting now. Just gotta finish up a couple of the final side quests (If there are any left, can't remember) before going on to beat the rest of the storymode of the game.

At this point (after cheating the hell out of my characters out of frustration), I've figured out which items and strategies work best for the battles. Cloak of Mirroring works wonders with Aerie.

IIRC, the part that I was last doing was trying to kill the demi-lich Kangaxx or whomever. Bloody annoying how he can just kill you just like that. Does turn-undead work on him, or is there some other sort of trick to beating him easily?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom