Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News TEH HISTERY OF FALOUT

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout

<A href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/editorials/fallouthistory1.php">GameBanshee</a> has posted a <A href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/editorials/fallouthistory1.php">History of Fallout</a>. Since they're asshats over there, I picked this paragraph to mock them:
<br>
<blockquote>In 2003, Interplay began development of project “Van Buren,” which is the “secret” name for Fallout 3. In December of 2003, Interplay shut down its Black Isle division, essentially killing “Van Buren.” Several of the creative people from Black Isle studios, including Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, and Jason Anderson have since moved on and created their own rather impressive development house, Troika Games. Also in 2003, Feargus Urquhart left with 17 Black Isle employees to found Obsidian Entertainment. </blockquote>
<br>
So, bad wording or complete ignorance. You decide.
<br>

<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Whipporowill

Erudite
Yeah, that part struck me as a pretty funny mishap - classical misstake when changing a sentence without checking how the changes impact the next, I suspect. And for being an editorial about the "history of Fallout", it has remarkably little actual Fallout in it.

How about the canning of FoT2? Herve's plans for FOOL? The times Fo3 was started and canned by I-play? While not official, those things are pretty accepted as the truth, aren't they?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'd go with ignorance and stupidity. GameBanshee's proven that before in the past with proir articles, haven't they?

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I just can't imagine anyone being that dumb... unless they think Interplay made Arcanum and TOEE. Anyway, I like their screenshot gallery that goes with the article. At least it's got some classic pictures. Oh and maybe I just haven't been keeping up with the news, but I didn't know that inXile had acquired the rights to Wasteland. Could it be that more and more developers are trying to move away from the fantasy setting, or is this just a phase where people want to use tried and true franchises?

Whipporowill

Erudite
It's definitly a franchise thing. It doesn't matter what setting the franchise might be initially, or how it's used - as long as it brings a buzz, it seems. Consider inXile's take on Bard's Tale, what did that have to do with the original except sporting a bard?

Spazmo

Erudite
That history is alternatively incomplete or wrong. Fallout fans excited about Bethesda's FO3? What the hell?

Avin

Liturgist
maybe they're meaning some bizarre masochist kind of excitement.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
That history is alternatively incomplete or wrong. Fallout fans excited about Bethesda's FO3? What the hell?

They are talking about those with the retarded "Just be happy it's being made" attitude which seems not so uncommon.

Spazmo

Erudite
There's more crap, though, like Fallout fans loving all the lame easter eggs in FO2. Shit, they don't even mention how much everyone hated FOT.

merry andrew

Erudite
fnordcircle said:
So I know this means I fail the 'RPGCodex How-Cool-Are-You' litmus test again, but what's wrong the paragraph?
From a historically accurate perspective, the paragraph is badly worded and/or sequenced.

Whipporowill

Erudite
They're basically saying Troika formed after the fall of BIS - which is dumb if it's just a miss in the way they're phrasing it, but even dumber if they believe it. Saying someone "shut down in 2003" and then adding "since then" usually implies what happened after first said incident. Crazy, huh?

In 2003, Interplay began development of project “Van Buren,” which was the “secret” name for Fallout 3. In December of 2003, however, Interplay shut down its Black Isle Studios division, essentially killing the development of “Van Buren.” Although the studio no longer exists, several of the creative staff, including Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, and Jason Anderson have since moved on to start up Troika Games, the company behind such impressive titles as Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Additionally, Black Isle director Feargus Urquhart left the company with seventeen other employees to found Obsidian Entertainment, the company currently developing both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II and Neverwinter Nights 2.

The updated bit sounds even worse to me.

Since what? Since the canning of BIS, is the only thing that can be inferred by that. They should've said something like "since the heyday of BIS, however, several of the creative staff" et c. Would've made sense.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
You know, five years ago I couldn't point out anyone I knew who cut or hurt themselves. Nowadays though, it seems every other friend I make now is a cutter. I just don't understand it. What a fucking stupid thing to do. If you're depressed or feeling down then play Truck Dismount or even Stair Dismount for pete's sake.

Sheesh.

Reklar

Liturgist
I don't expect much from a site called GameBanshee to begin with, but this article is a really ridiculous show of bad writing, bad editing, or both. What I can't understand about the innumerable gaming websites is why they seem to think gamers are illiterate, or so poorly educated, that they won't recognize all the errors in their articles. This is not a trend that bodes well for future of gaming unless it's really more of a minority that it appears.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

LlamaGod

Cipher
Yeah, dont cut yourselves over Fallout 3. Cut bethesda fans for encouraging it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom