Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WOW Stress Test & Open Beta

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh yeah, so Fileplanet recently opened its Stress Test download again for those of you who haven't tried out this flaming piece of shit, so if you still have any doubts about the game's craptitude and affinity to the EverQuest titles, here's your chance. Open Beta's starting at the end of this week so be sure to sign up, and I'm certain that the low level experience will be enough to kill the enthusiasm of most of you who still think that Blizzard has what it takes to make a good game.

As far as I'm concerned, the people who made Blizzard a success don't work there anymore: they're elsewhere. ArenaNet, Flagship Studios, Obsidian and even Troika.

Mendoza

Liturgist
I'll give it a try when/if they do a European open beta. If I like it, I may get it, if I don't I won't. I've heard both a lot a positive and negative comments on it so I'll try to have an open mind when I try it. Maybe it will suck, but I'm not going to write it off yet.

axel

Liturgist
The low level experiance ain't so bad, it's when you invest a couple of hours of playtime that the shit starts to hit the fans.

trystero

Novice
Hmm... I've brought a character up to level 24 over the past couple months (casual play) and found the game pretty inoffensive. What is terrible about it? Just curious.

- trystero

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The shit is incredibly boring. Most of the quests consist of killing (insert number here) of monsters or collecting (insert number here) of items. There's very little variety in quests, and nothing interesting about the way you learn new skills or gain new items. The quest rewards are nice, as are the instance loot, and that makes crafting relatively useless unless you're willing to devote days into mining or searching for resources.

Surlent

Liturgist
So is this beta US only or world wide ?

And Rex, since you've played both this and Guildwars, how does WoW compare to Guild Wars (if at all) ?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Beat me to the punch. Looks like another unfinished game. The game's entirely buggy at the moment, completely imbalanced in terms of character classes and items, and most of the touted features aren't even implemented: Raid Zones, Battlefields, Housing, Enchanting (the version right now is to be 'revamped completely')

Ortchel

Liturgist
I'm definitely trying it next week. You can play Orcs AND Trolls, this one's in the bag for me.

So what if it still relies on the same old MMO standbys? I certainly didn't expect anything more, so I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Guild Wars and World of Warcraft are very similar to each other because it was the creators of Guild Wars who created the basis of WoW a long time ago, though much has changed due to VU's hand in the development process which advertantly caused them to leave and form their own company, from what I understand.

The combat is 100% similar, but the way you attain skills in World of Warcraft is very, very drab: you go to a trainer and pay him some gold for skills. Most of the skills aren't even very useful. The recent (few months ago) implementation of "Talents" in World of Warcraft was supposed to create a lot of variety for characters by adding a lot of utility spells, but a lot of those spells have been since made necessary for classes to take. Previously, a player could go about without talents and play well. Talents were a plus. Now, talents are a necessity, and half of them are useless. If there is a good talent, people will whine about it and they will make it useless instead of making the useless talents useful. It's a repeat of Everquest all over again.

World of Warcraft used to be fast and fluid especially in the early levels, but monsters have since been beefed up and players gimped. While it was previously possible to gain talents at level 1, you now have to wait until level 10 to gain talents. Skills have been removed from the game and replaced with limited professions, of which your character can only have two, in order to 'balance the economy'. Some professions are a waste, like Alchemy. The only time you'd use alchemy would be to give you a small advantage in PVP, but PVP consists of nothing more than zerg rushing. There's nothing tactical about it: It's all about numbers, and the larger group with the higher level players will always win.

Instances are mind numbingly boring, not because of their mission-based set up, but because monsters within instances are all classified as Elites. They're 4 times harder to kill and 4 times stronger than the average monster of that level. It'll take a few characters just to take down a single enemy, so the game plays at a snail's pace. What's worse is how those monsters respawn after 15 minutes, meaning you'll have to push on. If anyone dies there isn't a priest in the party, the instance is pretty much over, regardless of how deep you went in. Guild Wars suffers from a slightly similar problem - but that only pops up if a few members of the party decide to leave completely. Death won't hurt a party too much, as everybody has the capability to resurrect in Guild Wars.

Gameplay in general has also been slowed down, as it's impossible to kill a monster more than 2 levels higher than your character. It's possible to solo monsters the same level as your character, but you will have to rest for a minute in-between monsters and if you face more than one at a time, you're screwed.

Unlike Guild Wars, crafting is useless. You'll have better luck buying something you want from an auction or finding it yourself, or getting it as a quest reward. Spending any effort in crafting is a waste of time because the equipment is sub-par. The only people who would devote a lot of time to it would be people willing to mine for hours and pursue all of the stupid crafting-related quests just to 'skill up', as it were until they are capable of crafting one of the more useful recipes, like Mithril Spurs (which increase mount speed), Shield Spikes (useless now), or one of the better Thorium and Black Iron equipment from the high end insstance. It's an 'ubergamer' thing. Casual gamers shouldn't expect to see any of that equipment in their entire gaming lifetime.

axel

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Beat me to the punch. Looks like another unfinished game. The game's entirely buggy at the moment, completely imbalanced in terms of character classes and items, and most of the touted features aren't even implemented: Raid Zones, Battlefields, Housing, Enchanting (the version right now is to be 'revamped completely')

Enchanting was "revamped" it's still largely crap though. But there's lots of other stuff too, Hero classes, PVP incentives and rewards, etc.

Blizzard also stated a little while back that they're unhappy with the current implementation of the priest class (you're basically just a heal bot) and aggro management for the tank classes (you're basically a taunt bot, which especially a problem for the tank class with no taunt, the paladin).

So with all that, of course, lets release it. Being rushed is it's primary flaw right now.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Enchanting was "revamped", yes; but according to Tigole, it isn't the "final product". I doubt we'll be seeing that "final product" anytime soon.

Blizzard makes statements about how it doesn't like how the mage, priest and warrior classes (The Holy Trinity) are in their current implementation but does absolutely nothing to fix it. With every subsequent patch, those classes are made worse, with a lot of the Warrior's offensiveness stripped (Fury & Offense are useless, as is) for example.

I didn't like how they shifted the Mage's overpowered fire class spells by weakening them completely (Pyroblast is worthless for all the mana it costs) and putting the focus on Force based spells, which were previously useless by making them too strong.

Blizzard has no concept of balance. Their changes are usually 'all of nothing' and sometimes, they'll even change something nobody complained about, like making Stealth utterly worthless for Rogues.

Hero classes might not make it into the retail, either. According to a recent interview, it'll most likely only be implemented in an expansion. PVP is largely crap and that won't be fixed anytime soon, either.

A few months ago, when things were looking good and changes were being made for the better, I would have bought copies of this game and recommended it to everyone. But now, I'll just pass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom