Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a game with Diablo 1-like atmosphere

DraQ said:
Cimmerian Nights said:
Diablo 2

duh.

No seriously.
Go away.

The one thing DII decidedly lacked was the atmosphere of it's prequel. The only atmospheric thing about it were the cutscenes.

I thought DII was very atmospheric - in the first few zones. Being out in the lonely fields with homesteads burning, dark caves, etc. was really good and I still like it a lot. After you hit the Monastery though, yeah. Absolutely agreed.

Will add another voice to Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. The whole series is worth checking out but those first two are real gems.

Secretninja

Cipher
All this talk had me looking for my copies of SR and BO, but alas, the gods of basement boxes were not kind.
Hopefully those .01 bids on ebay will pull through.

Liberal

Barely Literate
The Exar said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll consider them and report back when I've made some progress. :D
You want to play BO/SR... you want to play BO/SR... :hypnoticsuggestion:

1eyedking

Erudite
deuxhero said:
Hmm. Lets see Nocturne (Atlus, PS2) for the Lulz

-dark
Check.
-mysterious
Wait? Was the original Diablo really that mysterious?
-merciless
It's an Atlus game, so check.
-demonic
Uh well it's Shin Megami Tensei, "demonic" is pretty much the focus of the series.
You dumbfuck. It's just another fucking piece-of-crap japanese game:

s26399_ps2_36.jpg

smt3-9.jpg

lucifers-call-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne.318710.jpg

vs.

diablo1.jpg

a1-7.jpg

Yeah, they're practically the same. :roll:

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
1eyedking said:
It's just another fucking piece-of-crap japanese game:

shin-megami-tensei-nocturne.jpg
What does Devil May Cry 3 have to do with Shin Megami Tensei?
Anthony Davis said:
Totally miss Blood Omen 1. Is that a PC game?
You missed a lot. As for your question, there was a PC version, but it's a pretty bad port that is very hard to get running on modern systems. Even fan patches don't seem to help on Vista/7. I'd play Blood Omen and Soul Reaver via a Playstation emulator. Windows versions of SR2, BO2 and Defiance, OTOH, are significantly better and run perfectly.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
1eyedking said:
Fixed, but hell if the difference is noticeable.

They All Look The Fucking Same™.
Actually, they don't, but whatever.
DraQ said:
Why? It runs perfectly well under XP after some fiddling and patching, and, apart from somewhat quirky controls, and rather dumb "Press Start" I haven't noticed anything wrong with the PC version.
The PC version of Soul Reaver was lagging on my machine. Could be a problem specific to my computer though.

DraQ

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
The PC version of Soul Reaver was lagging on my machine. Could be a problem specific to my computer though.
Possibly. After several minutes of patching up and whatnot required to get it to run it runs flawlessly and it certainly does look better in hi-res.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
shin-megami-tensei-nocturne.jpg

What does Devil May Cry 3 have to do with Shin Megami Tensei?
Fixed, but hell if the difference is noticeable.

They All Look The Fucking Same™.

Yes, 1eyedfool, everybody does understand you don't like anything from Japan (except for your vibrator, probably) and especially you don't like JRPGs.

Now, beat it.

Secretninja

Cipher
Just got done playing Soul Reaver 2, and I have to say, the Blood Omen 1/Soul Reaver 1 plots were completely forgotten by me. Gonna have to scoop them up from ebay or the interwebs and do another playthrough.

Zeros

Novice
1eyedking said:
Yeah, they're practically the same. :roll:

Maybe he meant the 1999 game?

593749.jpeg

It's pretty dark. Some detective vampire game thingy. I started playing it but never finished it. It's a 3rd person (action?) adventure game though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom