Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play BLOOD BOWL! WAAAAAGH!

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I got a patch tonight when I played...

I definitely think they fixed the dodge issues, LOL. I'm laying people out like CRAZY now.

Astromarine

Erudite
Anthony, press n to cycle through a couple display modes, including name, number, spp, and so on.

do not EVER go down the sideline, that's just asking for a blitz to throw you out of bounds, which is an automatic KO, possibly injury. go one space infield.

MVP is a random roll, not judged. You probably know that and were just coloring it a bit, but still. :) it's basically a way to spread spp around.

If your score is assured try passing a bit. Orks kinda suck at it, but every completed pass gives spp, and you need your throwers to level a bit.

Dwarfs are murder at the beginning, you really have to be careful when setting up blocks. But I've played a lot, both in beta and now, and I didn't see any of the issues you guys are reporting. I go for it all the time, dodge, etc, and the AI has yet to be outrageously lucky.

HanoverF said:
How quickly should my players be leveling? I'm in the second tourney now and the opposing team is fielding level twos and threes and I think 6 of my 11 are level two.

Not sure how long the tournaments are, but it's better to have everyone with block skill than to have three or four guys with block, mighty blow and piling on. Spreading the SPP's around is necessary, and with most teams it's very important to level up your linemen, too. Even with humans (especially with humans) who could play 11 positional players.

And real men play humans, not orcs ;)

bgillisp

Scholar
Anthony Davis said:
I got a patch tonight when I played...

I definitely think they fixed the dodge issues, LOL. I'm laying people out like CRAZY now.

Same here, I got that patch and had a game agains the Dwarfs, and they weren't as amazingly lucky with their dodges anymore. I almost wonder if someone accidentally set the AI to roll dodge as 2+ for all rolls or something (or at least until the patch)?

And I'm playing the wood elves now, 3 - 3 - 0 since I started them. I like having the fast players that can pass, though I've found myself doing a lot of tuck and run and hope for good dodge rolls so far, as the thrower keeps seeming to need 5+ or 6+ to succeed on any throw that would matter so far.

headache

Novice
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
And yes, AG2 picks up at 4+, and so on. Each tackle zone (enemy player next to it, not sure what the game interface shows) gives -1, as they do to dodge (tackle zones on the square you're going to, not going from). Tackle zones give minuses to pretty much any agility related task.

Right, so remember that if a player is only dodging out of tackle zones, even multiple ones, they only have to make one dodge roll, unmodified by anything but their agility. That AG2 dwarf still has a 50% chance at 4+. Which also means good luck stopping Skaven and Wood Elf dodges. (Been playing for a few days now and these subtleties are finally sinking in for me. Dodge is confusing, as it doesn't display dice chances like with blocks.)

I guess $50 was worth it. I'm even looking forward to multiplayer, even though I never do that. The built-in time limits mean I should be ready. Been doing okay with the humans, but there is definitely a steep learning curve, with rage.

Also, yeah, display keys for the screenshots: N for names, G for grid.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I've got an update coming later, our next game against the 2nd place team in the league, the humies.

For those who want a sneak peak, the pictures are here in photobucket:
http://photobucket.com/game_5

I missed some good screengrabs, like King Comrade getting hospitalized.... but it was a good game.

obediah

Erudite
argh, this game is tempting me. I wasted a summer playing the crap out of the old PC game. Of course, I just allocated my entire paycheck for July, and the tires are looking mighty low on tread..hmm I need to start blowing old dudes for money or something.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Warhammer + turn-based gameplay = awsum.

I had to download original Blood Bowl from way back at the mean time because it is very nice to release steam or whatever version and holding hard copy until October.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I'm going to be holding out for a physical copy. Hopefully they'll have some of these issues figured out by then.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Finally won a game, against dwarves no less. That was possibly the most hard fought and satisfying tactical gaming experience I've had in a long time. Oh turn-based, how I've missed you.

Shame it takes someone making a blatant rip off to finally get GWI to pull their finger out and comission a rule-for-rule conversion of one of their games. Now Cyanide just need to make a Necromunda game, and I wont ever have to leave my house again.

Silellak

Cipher
Yeah, it's definitely a satisfying feeling when you win, I just wish I could get that to happen more often...

So far I've been focusing on playing Orcs, but maybe I'll hive a Human or Dwarf team a try. I can tell you I suck at all the "agile" races based on my experiences with Elves and Skaven. I wish Chaos had a class with "Block", though I'm tempted to give them a try again anyway.

obediah

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
HanoverF said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
And real men play humans, not orcs ;)

Chaos baby, nothing's better than fielding a team of Diablo refugees.
GW ripped off Blizzard

I get that Troll has got to troll. But you've been reduced to quoting and restating subtle trolls as blatantly as possible?

:decline:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Okay I beat Dwarfs. 1-0. They actually managed to get hit a couple times. I nearly raged once when I kicked off to them and then they Blocked 8 of my 11 players and KO'd one. But then I managed to get the ball, and if not for time running out it would have been 2-0. Fuck you dwarfs.

I also beat Lizardmen and man that was really easy. I just had my Black Orks keep their lizardmen down every turn, while the rest of my orks just murdered the fuck out of the skinks. If you can keep their high STR units occupied Orks just lawn mow Lizardmen.

obediah

Erudite
I failed my save, and bought this last night.

I made a chaos team for funsies, and the first two games went well. Both against dwarves, and I won both 2-0. I held my own in the trenches and my beastmen made a few short passes.

My next two games were against humans, and I lost them 2-0, and 2-1. I wasn't prepared at all for a passing team. I should have one the second game, but I made some stupid mistakes, like not clicking skulls when given the choice to select the die for a human block. I wish supporting skills were shown prominently when picking dice, because I am stupid and forget who has block and such.

The last game I played was dwarfs, and it was pure nerdrage. They brought their cheater and in the first half they killed one beastman, seriously injured four other players, and my team spent most of the half face down. My minotaur failed his "don't role a 1 check" more than half the time, and I had 4 consecutive blocking rolls of double skulls that killed three turns in the second half.
At least I shouldn't have to worry about that for another 10,000 games or so ;)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In tourney 4 Lizardmen are a bitch, they get like a million for deferments so they get to bring in tons of ringers one of which is Godzilla.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
obediah said:
I wish supporting skills were shown prominently when picking dice, because I am stupid and forget who has block and such.

You can see on KC's nerdraeg pic that it shows the skills of the apparant players under their names, above the dice. You can see in that example that Skarak has block and tackle.

My biggest noob mistake so far, was it taking me about 5 games to realise that you had to manually order your guys to get back up, after they'd been floored. Was wondering why half my team spend 90% of the game eating soil.

Also, update plz. Wanna see someone playing this game right (and KC getting hospitalised would also be nice).

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Will save failed. You lose 55€. Yes, I took the Collector Edition, the only one I found. It has a small strategy booklet and some stickers (yes! i'll put those on my school bag :roll:)

So far, I 've tried dwarves and chaosmen. Dwarves are really the easy way around. You won't win many touchdowns, but thanks to the block skill of your defenders, you'll easily crush any hostile velleities. Chaos seems harder at the beginning but mutations are really fun and, a time goes, provides some kind of variety in your team.

Anyways, BB's the funniest and most compelling game I've played this year.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Orcs = easy mode

And where's the update?

It looks like Anthony Davis kicked the photobucket

In other news, omg why can't I play goblins every game?!

bbowlslaughter.jpg

lotsa bells, 4 injuries (would be 5, damn regeneration)

following this td during setup the goblins had one player on the field with all the rest being in the endzone waiting to be subbed in.

Chaos is fun, who wants to worry about blitzers, throwers, catchers, and that crap, I just want to hurt the opposing team.

Wood Elfs get the same
bbowlslaughter1.jpg

6 casualties, 5 KOs, star player pushed off field and beaten by fans.

Mantiis

Cipher
I rolled six 1s in a row last night, by my reckoning there is a 1 in 46656 chance of that occuring. Go me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom