Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
God what a piece of shit. Anyone played it? Does it have any redeeming features?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
The game is worth watching on youtube:

1. Cinematics are good.
2. You don't have to experience the crappy gameplay in order to see them.
3. You don't lose time on getting to cutscenes.
4. You save money.

Quadruple win!

Says our hardcore anti-Narrativist member.
Because cutscenes can be appreciated only for fantastic story they present.

DriacKin

Arbiter
A lot of gaming websites seem to like the story and characters in the game.
Personally, I don't understand why. It just felt like more (b)anal star wars bullshit.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
You don't have to play the game to experience the fine pseudo-movie that comes with the package.

Just go to YouTube.

Trust me, you will like it. It's one of those moments in videogame writing, where you think, "Hey! This game looks like it was written by fairly intelligent people. And they are developing it properly without excessive pomp and fluff. And it's even a little entertaining."

Actually, completely forgetting the writing, do know that they voiced the people properly. And all the moments of physical action and visual spectacles shown by the animation feel worthwhile. Among the good things to have come out of Star Wars recently, the cinematics of The Force Unleashed are one of them.

Lurkar

Scholar
Eh, the game gave me what I wanted - an action game where I run around, hack things with a lightsaber, and use the force to throw people around and/or zap them with lightning.

It promised nothing more, so I was happy with it.

Raapys

Arcane
Getting alot of hate this game it seems. I was hoping it would actually be good( and for PC ). Would love a new decent Jedi Knight game using the latest in physics and such.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As someone else suggested, the writing is really cringe-worthy. I have a hard time believing anyone but Star Wars fanboys would appreciate it. As for the gameplay, remeber those licensed Lord of the Rings games for the PS2? Take those and throw in a couple of lightsabres and a jump mechanic and you have the Force Unleashed.

Andhaira

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Dicksmoker said:
You don't have to play the game to experience the fine pseudo-movie that comes with the package.

Just go to YouTube.

Trust me, you will like it. It's one of those moments in videogame writing, where you think, "Hey! This game looks like it was written by fairly intelligent people. And they are developing it properly without excessive pomp and fluff.

Were you in a brain dead state when they were marketing this piece of steaming crap? It was being hyped like there was no tomorrow, and the end game ofcourse not only failed to live up to the expectations, it was a sad experiance. To think that JKII made almost a decade ago was superior in EVERY SINGLE WAY!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Were you in a brain dead state when they were marketing this piece of steaming crap? It was being hyped like there was no tomorrow, and the end game ofcourse not only failed to live up to the expectations, it was a sad experiance. To think that JKII made almost a decade ago was superior in EVERY SINGLE WAY!
I don't follow marketing of games, but you misunderstand me.

Pomp and fluff means long stretched melodramatic writing. Like, "Cower you mortal, your knave-ish tricks are no match for the paramount divinity that our kin ascend to!" Stuff that can be annoying.

People in Force Unleashed talk normal. It takes nothing to use pomp and fluff in writing, but to create amazing situations with unexcessive didactic is a bit more difficult.

BearBomber

Scholar
I wonder how long will this franchise last. It's probably so popular because the audience hardly watched any other sci-fi movie before.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
BearBomber said:
I wonder how long will this franchise last. It's probably so popular because the audience hardly watched any other sci-fi movie before.
It already lasted 32 years. Your "because the audience hardly watched any other sci-fi movie before" argument is faulty.

Whatever you say about any expansive part of the Star Wars franchise, the 1977 Star Wars was a cinematic masterpiece, made with excruciating attention to visual detail that even CGI movies do not manage. That is a movie meant to last through time, and movies like this and 2001: A Space Oddysey will still be watched and remembered 100 years from now.

As long as newer generations still love the 1977 Star Wars movie, which they do, Star Wars will be there.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I serious think that people believe that Star Wars is a masterpiece because they merely hear other people say it.

BearBomber

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
BearBomber said:
It already lasted 32 years. Your "because the audience hardly watched any other sci-fi movie before" argument is faulty.

Whatever you say about any expansive part of the Star Wars franchise, the 1977 Star Wars was a cinematic masterpiece, made with excruciating attention to visual detail that even CGI movies do not manage. That is a movie meant to last through time, and movies like this and 2001: A Space Oddysey will still be watched and remembered 100 years from now.

As long as newer generations still love the 1977 Star Wars movie, which they do, Star Wars will be there.

>>>But the question is: "Howl long will they love fantasy in space?". And seriously why do they like it so much, of course it was good, and fun to watch, but why so much love? The only SW fans I know could only answer that question wit "It's a masterpiece/cult movie/awesome".

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Gragt said:
I serious think that people believe that Star Wars is a masterpiece because they merely hear other people say it.
I was 13 when I first saw it, and I see it again once every one or two years, and I still enjoy the movie.

Gragt, the definite proof of the brilliance of this movie lies particularly in the entire Mos Eisley segment, when you see the hovercraft speeding into it, right as those large Tattooine rats scurry away from it, and inside the city which is both consisting of sandstone hutments and of other extraworldly establishments. Since it is a spaceport, it is full of native and exotic elements, and all types of alien species, who wander around the city, and pull along various domestic animals with them. Several such aliens have even settled in there, at the cantinas, as bartenders and musicians.

See how much rich detail they fit into the foreground and background of the whole scene, just as it also smoothly moves further Luke and Obi-wan's core quest of trying to find a spacer to take them out of the planet and evading Imperial authorities.

They build together an entire architecture, entire sets of people, entire establishments, entire routines, entire incidental situations, and entire layout for just one fictional town, and they did it well.

kris

Arcane
Gragt said:

Even the more pretentious reviewers thought it was if they saw it when it came. Just new-school people says otherwise.

Also there is little reason for a star wars fan to like this stupid game.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
Gragt said:
I was 13 when I first saw it, and I see it again once every one or two years, and I still enjoy the movie.

I see Cliffhanger occasionally when it comes on late night tv, and I still enjoy the movie.

I honestly think much of the older fanbase became disenfranchised when the prequels came out, but since Lucas actually did a good job marketing to the younger crowd, he effectively created a new generation of fans. The original trilogy was of high quality, although it's not deserving of the undue amount of praise it gets. The prequels and all of the spinoffs are utter shit though, but they have the right combination to appeal to the younger crowd. Star Wars isn't for adults anymore, it's like Dora the Explorer.

Andhaira

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Pomp and fluff means long stretched melodramatic writing. Like, "Cower you mortal, your knave-ish tricks are no match for the paramount divinity that our kin ascend to!" Stuff that can be annoying.

I take it you were not a fan of the Ultima games then? Also, why exactly were you expecting all this 'pomp and fluff'? No star wars game or movie has ever used this type of dialogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom