Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No LAN in my StarCraft 2

shardspin

Novice
Interesting

Tails

Arbiter
VonVentrue said:
In case you haven't noticed, they have learnt one thing with WoW - games built around an online service are much more resistant to piracy. Hence their decision to encourage people to embrace the new Battle.net.
Yeah but still I don't remind myself that Diablo 2 or not so good Warcraft 3 (and their expansions) had poor sales.
Sweet Me said:
That reminds me one thing: The "new" Bestsellers release of Starcraft don't have spawn option available. Probably because of piracy, eh VonVentrue?
VonVentrue said:
Let's ask Vince to give away copies of Age of Decadence for free and see how willing he is to agree with such ideas.
I't seems you don't know for what is spawn install in D1 and SC. Besides - fail argu, try harder.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Silellak said:
There was a time when Blizzard didn't think "what can we get away with charging", but actually seemed to genuinely care about making good games.

Yes, there was such time and it was great. But that time is gone and it is not coming back. What we have now is hordes of retards gladly paying 50$ for their 5h shit games. Why should developers do anything other than 5h shit if gamers will buy it anyways?
If you want developers to make a game for you, and not for a consoletard who will be happy with 5h turd you will have to make it worthwhile for a developer. Yes, it's not fair, but retards outnumber us greatly and i don't see any other way.

Games should not be priced based on how much content is in them.
Where is motivation for a developer to add more content then? There are hordes of people who will be happy with 5h mediocre action game.

I'd rather play a 5-hour game that is infinitely replayable than a 100-hour game that's stuffed with filler bullshit. Oblivion is a fantastic example. OMG, hundreds of dungeons! That's amazing! Except they're all basically the same, and clearly just filler designed to make the game sound more impressive in the marketing material.
It will be much harder to do the same trick when you ask 150$ for a game. At least i hope so.

I find it extraordinarily hard to believe Blizzard will keep the single player game interesting and fresh throughout all 90 missions.
If they fail to impress gamers with first game they are risking losing profits from two others, so i expect them to try keeping gamers properly entertained.
When you buy entire game for 50$ and it sucks all you can do is rant on forums afterwards, developer already got from you everything they needed. In case of SC2 you are paying only 1/3 of the price at a time and you are free to keep 2/3 if you are not satisfied with first part.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So if the expansions don't sell Blizzard will only be making 1/3 of the money other companies are making off their games, amiright? And Blizzard isn't doing the same thing as the rest of them, offering relatively short playtime for $50, amirite? If a normal length shit game costs 50 dollars, and Blizzard is offering 3x the length for 3x the cost, stands to reason they're one upping the competition and offering more for less.

vrok

Liturgist
VonVentrue said:
No, that means they are worthless parasites that wouldn't buy the game even if it cost a dime. Moron.
Source please. Oh, that's right, you have nothing relevant to say and are only spamming irrelevant irrational piracy hate. Grow the fuck up.

LAN is a fool-proof insurance for actual customers against Battle.net 2.0 sucking ass. Regardless however of whether LAN makes it in or not experience tells us that Battle.net 2.0 will be reverse engineered and enable pirates to play online anyway just like what happened with Battle.net 1.0 and Steam and every other similar popular service. In the case of Battle.net 1.0, pirates and piracy-enablers even provided a superior service and is the sole reason Starcraft is still played on a reasonably high level in countries that aren't South Korea.

So STFU and stay the hell away from Starcraft threads please. You have nothing useful to add. Only ignorance.

skyway

Educated
I think game-development is the single business where customers defend the vendors. Its funny, really.

Avu

Liturgist
More like sad. It just points out where the biggest concentration of idiots is at.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
SlyDrak said:
I was surprised when I checked the forums to see a Blizzard PR reply to one of the LAN threads
If I'm not mistaken, Karune is Dustin Browder, SC2 lead designer.

As for his post, the critical part is this: "We would not take out LAN if we did not feel we could offer players something better." The problem is that they can't. What exactly are they offering to people who want to play on a local network, unconnected to the internet? And why have they not said what that is, if it's even an option?

Multi-headed Cow

skyway said:
I think game-development is the single business where customers defend the vendors. Its funny, really.
It freaks me the hell out. Maybe I'm too much of a dirty communist instead of a capitalist ubermensch, but it boggles my mind how people defend Blizzard removing LAN as a means of fighting piracy. It's like they don't even know there are pirated WoW servers for god's sake.
Fuck.
FUCK.

I actually sort of wanted Starcraft 2, and REALLY wanted Diablo 3. But I can't stand this. I play too many of my legally bought games over Hamachi, and I play Diablo 2 exclusively singleplayer and TCP/IP with singleplayer characters with friends. God damn it.

oscar

Arcane
What's more interesting is how they are going to handle the whole 2 expansion packs thing in multiplayer. Right now you only have two modes; BW or stock. With two expansion packs you could be looking at like 4 different configurations depending on which expansion packs the player has. So we'll be seeing four different game lobbies?

They'll just end up doing it Company of Heroes style. You can only play the races you've got the expansion pack for but you can still play against other races.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
oscarisaiah said:
What's more interesting is how they are going to handle the whole 2 expansion packs thing in multiplayer. Right now you only have two modes; BW or stock. With two expansion packs you could be looking at like 4 different configurations depending on which expansion packs the player has. So we'll be seeing four different game lobbies?

They'll just end up doing it Company of Heroes style. You can only play the races you've got the expansion pack for but you can still play against other races.

No they have said multiple times that if you buy Wings of Liberty you get full multiplayer with all races. :roll:

The 2 expansions are the single player campaigns for Zerg and Protoss.

kris

Arcane
If they want this to protect against pirates then putting it in some days/weeks after release is the way to go. Because they can get rid of "first day pirates". After that they will only lose out on it, since the only ones able to actually play LAN will be the pirates. They will then force people to pirate the game.

some of my most fun Starcraft sessions would not have been possible if they did the same for the first.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
starcraft2dissapoint.png

MetalCraze

Arcane
Major_Boobage said:
oscarisaiah said:

No they have said multiple times that if you buy Wings of Liberty you get full multiplayer with all races. :roll:

And do you believe that they will sell 20 new missions for $50 without adding new stuff that won't get in WoL?

Lumpy

Arcane
Why the fuck would anyone want to play LAN? Being near people severely decreases my APM.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
And do you believe that they will sell 20 new missions for $50 without adding new stuff that won't get in WoL?

I believe you will be able to play full multiplayer with only Wings of Liberty.
I also think the expansions will not cost 50 $, but rather 30 because they are just that, expansions.

I do know what you are getting at, but the expansions wont make the difference like SC -> BW. You should be able to play someone anyone with any of the 3 games only having the first.

kris

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Major_Boobage said:
oscarisaiah said:

Adding more things is a selling argument. It will work like broodwar, except there is a long campaign for single races instead of short for several. Also the price is not set yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go for the higher one. For the simple reason that people will buy it anyway.

kris

Arcane
SlyDrak said:
MetalCraze said:
I seem to recall during one of the Blizzcons or somesuch one of the devs saying they'd be adding more units or various other things in the expansions. I can't find any site with quotes on it so it might've been my imagination. Regardless of that though, I'm fully expecting them to add more than just single-player content through the expansions.

Like I said before, that is exactly what they said. About 30 missions and additions on the level of brood war. They will include some new units for all races, possibly new tilesets too.

Dmitron

Arbiter
The only time I ever played Starcraft was on LAN. I enjoyed it. That was 10 years ago. Today, the thought of playing LAN, or any MP makes my tongue curl like shite from a distended pooper canal.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
kris said:
SlyDrak said:
MetalCraze said:
I seem to recall during one of the Blizzcons or somesuch one of the devs saying they'd be adding more units or various other things in the expansions. I can't find any site with quotes on it so it might've been my imagination. Regardless of that though, I'm fully expecting them to add more than just single-player content through the expansions.

Like I said before, that is exactly what they said. About 30 missions and additions on the level of brood war. They will include some new units for all races, possibly new tilesets too.

I dont like that because people with different version wont be able to play with each other. That means you will always have to buy the latest expansion to play multiplayer.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
circ said:
Go fuck yourselves Blizzard, really.
That kinda proves that all those people who were saying that codex is a bunch of fags who whine for the sake of whining were right.
"Go fuck yourselves", what a nice answer to developer actually trying not to surrender to recent trends in the industry.
Well, enjoy your shitty 5 hour action games then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom