Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What the fuck are you playing right now?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Currently playing Bloodlines for the second time, and this time I intend to finish it.

Apart from that Guild Wars and Team Fortress 2, but these are on a 'constantly playing' list, and I have semi abandoned playthroughs of Crusader: No Regret, Wiz8, The Witcher and HoMM 3 +expansions.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Started World Of Xeen. I had forgotten how lame the intro of clouds was. The game still rocks though.

Kron

Arcane
Hammer & Sickle.
Played it before, after I finished SS: Sentinels, but I never finished it due to the multiple ways you can fuck up the game and get the bad ending. I'm just about to complete it, I think.
It's a game I would be unsure to recommend.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Just played through all the infinity engine games, from BG1 thru PS:T to IWD 2.

Currently not playing games, just indulging my female fight fetish with Poser 7.

(The ultimate doll's house).

xuerebx

Erudite
Clear Sky after finishing Shadow of Chernobyl.

Operation Flashpoint (finding it too difficult though).

And I might play FO2 again.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Games I have tried to play recently.

Fallout 2 - made it to Vault City, failed citizen exam, destroyed the mutant power plant and the lady kicks me out instead of giving me citizenship. I thought that was bullshit and I stopped playing. Contemplating whether I want to spend hours trying to find the loophole that lets me in the damn vault. Doesn't sound fun at all, yet in the back of mind there is an inkling to try. I just want to follow the main story without having to jump through too many hoops. I don't have the desire to spend hours on side quest, because I will never finish the game.

Anachronox - game looks terrible now days, and the controls are a little wonky, haven't given the game a fair chance yet. To be honest, I am not quite sure what this game is even trying to do yet.

Odium - Silly voice acting, but I love the atmosphere. It's like an isometric Resident Evil with simplified Silent Storm style tactical combat. Willing to play it again.

Silent Storm - I hate the rotating camera and the different level controls which you have to set manually. It is so distracting. I spend too much time trying to find the right angle and zoom so I can see what is going on. Otherwise, the game plays out like a simplified Jagged Alliance 2.

Titan Quest Immortal Thrones - I am trying to find a mod that makes this game interesting. The vanilla game is unbalanced and the skills are boring.

Oblivion
- with FCOM + XP mod. Leveling up and choosing my stats is cool, but the game is still the same underneath. As soon as I figured that out I stopped playing. Made it to level 5.

Styrateg - No, after about 10 minutes of giving it a chance.

Fallout Tactics
- I was all hyped up until I started the first mission. The art and lanscape is so boring, it makes the tactical battles boring. You basically have sand bags, buildings, and doors. Now apply tactics to that. Rinse and repeat in different combinations. Blah.

Thief Gold - I'm replaying this one as I have beat it before. Tried to play on most difficult. Doing well until the prison map. Can't find where the fuck the extra guy I'm supposed to bring is. Don't know if he got killed and the game is broken or what. Spent hours looking for him and gave up. Don't feel like restarting the mission for this.

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
- What a mess. I am not a fan of the more is better. Too much shit happening on the screen at once. Balance, or any sense of strategy gets thrown out the window because of all the shit happening at once.

F.E.A.R. 2 - Drags on like a motherfucker. Overuse of game assets makes the game feel artificially long.

Sacred 2 - Terrible graphics, story, and characters. There is level scaling which makes a game about becoming more powerful pointless.

Civilization 4 Colonization - Kept losing so I reluctantly went online to help with my strategy. Apparently building up my colonies to be self-sufficient is a no no. The answer is to collect as many resources as possible, convert them and sell them to Europe and then buy everything. Do not focus on constructing buildings, or teaching professions. Buy colonists, and weapons. That's it. The first time I did this I was doing amazing, but my save game got corrupted and I haven't touched the game since.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Fucking invisible walls! Why do they have so many of them? They have them in places you don't even need them. I think it's more for the AI of the NPC's than it is for your player. I am not a real fan of Harry Potter, but they did a cool job recreating the world in 3d. Big huge school to run around in, if not slightly empty feeling. The potion making game is kinda fun. Stopped playing because it's a little too simplistic.

Texas Red

Whiner
"Fallout 2 - made it to Vault City, failed citizen exam, destroyed the mutant power plant and the lady kicks me out instead of giving me citizenship. I thought that was bullshit and I stopped playing. Contemplating whether I want to spend hours trying to find the loophole that lets me in the damn vault. Doesn't sound fun at all, yet in the back of mind there is an inkling to try. I just want to follow the main story without having to jump through too many hoops. I don't have the desire to spend hours on side quest, because I will never finish the game."

What you're saying is that you don't want to play an RPG precisely because it has C&C? This isn't KotOR where you have everything spelled out for you.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
vazquez595654 said:
Fallout 2 - made it to Vault City, failed citizen exam, destroyed the mutant power plant and the lady kicks me out instead of giving me citizenship. I thought that was bullshit and I stopped playing. Contemplating whether I want to spend hours trying to find the loophole that lets me in the damn vault. Doesn't sound fun at all, yet in the back of mind there is an inkling to try. I just want to follow the main story without having to jump through too many hoops. I don't have the desire to spend hours on side quest, because I will never finish the game.

Anachronox - game looks terrible now days, and the controls are a little wonky, haven't given the game a fair chance yet. To be honest, I am not quite sure what this game is even trying to do yet.

Getting a citizenship in Vault City is completely optional. There are many ways to proceed and reach your goals. This is the whole point of the fallout games.

As for Anachronox, the game's strong point is it's excellent humor. It's basically an adventure game with some RPG mechanics. If you want to experience the best humor in a game since the old lucasarts adventures you should play it and forgive it's jrpg-ish combat.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
What you're saying is that you don't want to play an RPG precisely because it has C&C? This isn't KotOR where you have everything spelled out for you.

Not really. I just feel like sometimes the game uses the never ending quest mechanic to make the game artificially longer. I just felt screwed with the citizenship thing, because she promised it, and now suddenly she takes it back. It may come across as feasible since humans do change their minds, but in a game it comes across as a cheap way to make the game longer.

Getting a citizenship in Vault City is completely optional. There are many ways to proceed and reach your goals. This is the whole point of the fallout games.

Cool. I just went down this particular path and got screwed. And as far as the story has told me, it gives a strong impression that I need to enter this vault to continue the story. I am enjoying the story, but wandering around aimlessly trying to pick up the story is not something I'm interested in right now. I feel lost in the game at this point. They pointed me in a direction and it seems to have come to a dead end. They kind of dropped the ball on the storytelling at this point. It's like they are trying to force me to explore the world. I don't want to. I am a focused Vault Dweller trying to help his village as quickly as possible.

They kind of dropped the ball on the storytelling at this point. It's like they are trying to force me to explore the world. I don't want to. I am a focused Vault Dweller trying to help his village as quickly as possible.

IIRC, you can get citizenship even if Lynette screwed you over, so you don't need to reload, just ask around. You probably went straight to her office, but there are others along the way.

vazquez595654 said:
Games I have tried to play recently.
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

double_trek_facepalm.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin
Drakensang, which felt like NWN 2, because of camera controls. But looks simple and fast enough to finish and leave it be.

Godfather 1 and 2. I was trying to find a good GTA clone, and couldn't. Tryied Godfather 1 once, but hated it. Last month, got godfather 2 and decided to give the first game anoher chance. And it was better than the first try. The second is just like the first, but smaller and the enemies may take your business.

Tales of monkey island - episode 2. Funnier than the 1st episode. I kinda like that they're releasing chapters of one big story, rather than the sam & max episodes, in which each one comprised a whole story.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
@RottingNaziSurfer

Key word. Tried. I knew it would be sub par. I just wanted to see the supposed full recreation of the school. I saw a hyped up preview where a developer talked about recreating the entire school for the first time and allowing you to go through all of it. I remember in the movies the school looked pretty impressive. And they pretty much did it in a somewhat simplistic way. I have to say I was rather impressed they worked so hard on a movie licensed game.

Double Ogre

Scholar
vazquez595654 said:
They kind of dropped the ball on the storytelling at this point. It's like they are trying to force me to explore the world. I don't want to. I am a focused Vault Dweller trying to help his village as quickly as possible.
Then go straight to NCR. All prior towns are pretty much filler content. Fallout 2 is a terribly inconsistent game.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Started World Of Xeen. I had forgotten how lame the intro of clouds was. The game still rocks though.
Vertigo? Yeah, that isn't a very happening town.

And yet, the game doesn't lag in becoming awesome the moment you enter the Red Dwarf Mines, the moment you find the lone Witch Tower, and then come out of its rooftops to see a cloud world, and hell, there is no lack of fun things in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom