Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat video

More o' the same. Good enough for me. I might buy it, but I'll wait 5+ months for the inevitable patches.

baronjohn said:
I hope it's not as hard and frustrating as Clear Sky.

Tried patching it? I'm playing version 1.5.10 and it's not especially difficult.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Looks good. But are there any notable new features compared to SoC and CS? Regardless, I'm sure I'll end up playing this sooner or later. I just fuckin love SoC, which I'm playing through now.

xuerebx

Erudite
Looking good, definitely getting this. Hopefully it'll play more like SoC than CS (though I liked clear sky, but the Faction Wars were bugged). Latest patch is stable.

DraQ

Arcane
The only things in CS that were frustrating were the enemy accuracy with (otherwise useless) grenades and the fact it died on me due to a bug. Also, NV didn't seem to work properly, they should have used the same effect as in SoC.

Sure, enemies were accurate and bullets were deadly, but that's the point of them being enemies and bullets respectively.

I hope they:

1. Restore aiming mechanics from SoC for handguns and grenade launchers. What the bloody fuck they were thinking?

2. Un-nerf grenades, but make the AI throw them less accurately.

3. Restore the atmosphere that went fuck itself after the first half of the SoC - the should have made you enter terra incognita, with new, previously unseen anomalies, artifacts, mutants and general mindfuck, maybe fight some small elite groups of military stalkers past the Scorcher, not battle hordes of Monolith troops.

4. Work on the fucking story - all went well in SoC until the big reveal in the end, where I went "what how huh the fuck?" and headdesked furiously.

5. Fix fucking ballistics - bullets disappearing in mid-air isn't the proper way to handle effective range and that's what CS did.

DraQ said:
4. Work on the fucking story - all went well in SoC until the big reveal in the end, where I went "what how huh the fuck?" and headdesked furiously.
I'd also say "work on the goddamn writing". SoC would benefit so very much of well written NPCs. The setting is good, and together with good story and good characters would make the game much more than the sum of its parts, bugs and other annoyances notwithstanding.

deshields538

Scholar
I really liked SoC and played through it a couple of times but CS is still sitting on my shelf uncompleted, mostly because of a very annoying graphics bug that caused my hands to appear and disappear every few seconds.

I hope they add new mutants to go along with the classic bloodsuckers and controllers. Bloodsuckers were pretty terrifying until you got good night-vision to see them more easily when they go invisible.

They also need to add more moments like the Tunnel below that military facility and Lab X18 and Lab X16. Nothing quite like creeping along in the dark not knowing whether a mutant is going to jump out around the next corner and eat your face.

DraQ

Arcane
deshields538 said:
I really liked SoC and played through it a couple of times but CS is still sitting on my shelf uncompleted, mostly because of a very annoying graphics bug that caused my hands to appear and disappear every few seconds.

I hope they add new mutants to go along with the classic bloodsuckers and controllers. Bloodsuckers were pretty terrifying until you got good night-vision to see them more easily when they go invisible.

They also need to add more moments like the Tunnel below that military facility and Lab X18 and Lab X16. Nothing quite like creeping along in the dark not knowing whether a mutant is going to jump out around the next corner and eat your face.
X18 in particular just chipped your sanity away bit by bit.

Shiny

Novice
Clear Sky after numerous patches had it's good parts, but the fricken anomaly, burnout and artifact system was totally and completely broken compared to the first game. Albeit the artifacts were WAY to easy to find in the first one, at least you could find them casually if you wanted to look. In CS it's almost impossible.

I also agree that in order for this game to work well it's got to push the "atmosphere" and not just throw hordes of troops and/or mutants at you to up the difficulty. I know this will bring down the nerd rage of the codex, but I would like to see the same attention to detail in Pripyat that COD4 had. Although that game was mostly shit, the Pripyat level (until the turkey shoot at the end), and the very last end game sequence were awesome. The amount of detail was really quite beautiful and haunting and I would hope to see the same thing in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Actually artifacts were harder to find in SoC, because the anomalies were scattered everywhere, so artifacts could appear everywhere. Clear Sky just grouped anomalies into fields, so they couldn't appear anywhere else. When you see anomaly field in CS, you can be 99% sure there's an artifact inside.

They combined the new artifact hunt system (detectors and such) from clear sky with the random anomalies from te mod oblivion lost and then they made the new levels bigger.

I think the game sounds awsome, and yes it's probably going to be buggy and have some idiotic features, but there's always mods for that. Yeah... I'm buying it.

Stereotypical Villain said:
They combined the new artifact hunt system (detectors and such) from clear sky with the random anomalies from te mod oblivion lost and then they made the new levels bigger.

And borrowed a dozen features from mods.

It sounds really promising, I must say

They borrowed the two things i mentioned from the book.

-Blowouts
-Random anomalies

So there you go sport. I couldn't care less for the mods that add metal music to the bar or new skins for the snorks, all i'm concerned with is getting the game to emulate the book, or the movie.

Oh, and i know that one might argue that those two features should've been in from the start, but no developer is perfect.

Gerrard

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
Actually artifacts were harder to find in SoC
Yeah, it was hard to go 5 meters off the road to pick them up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom