Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WOW Impressions

Ortchel

Liturgist
Why? Did Rex ever say it wasn't or wouldn't be popular?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
That's not what I meant by comedy gold. It's funny because the damn things only been out a week and Blizzard is so swamped they are having to pump out more servers for it. They are touting it as the fastest growing MMORPG ever. If it continues, I wonder if Blizzard will be able to keep up. Heh.

Edit: Not to mention how swamped the official forums must be. :P

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, the servers are more or less overpopulated and almost everyone is having a lot of difficulty playing the game because there's just no place left for them to hunt. Every kill is tagged, and most of the sub-level 10 newbies are levelling at a rate of 1-2 levels per day, even after playing for 8 hours. That's just how awful it is. Whenever Blizzard puts up new servers, these guys flock to the new server and the process repeats itself.

There's over 90 servers online at the moment, which is pretty ridiculous for an MMORPG. I'm willing to bet that in a few months, when the player base calms down (or quits) a lot of those servers are going to be merged with each other.

Ortchel

Liturgist
90 servers .. holy shit.

Star Wars Galaxies had like .. ten. That's just amazing.

Mr. Hand

Novice
Hmm Im debating on whether on not to get this game. There's a review out
on Gamespot where Greg Kasavin jizzed his pants raving about the game. Even
if I do itll be in February or thereabouts after I come back from my extended trip
to Malaysia where I cant get any broadband.

P/s. link to the review is here if your interested:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/review.html

Ortchel

Liturgist
While you're there, stop by Exitium's house, he'll talk your ear off on the subject.

Mr. Hand

Novice
My place over there is wired with a Maxis fixed line, which means I cant get Streamyx, which means im fucked.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I think you can apply for Streamyx wireless. Go to a TMNet shop and ask them if they provide Wireless support for your area.

Mr. Hand

Novice
I will do that, sir. Heard that Jaring will be providing wireless as well, and the CMC has ordered the unbundling of local telco loops. So I'll get it hooked up sooner or later.
Im there only about 3 months of a year anyway

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Jaring is rubbish, though. After their ad campaign 8 months ago, nothing happened. Streamyx is only getting better and better.

xemous

Arcane
wow is very fun from levels 1-12 or about there. when you are doing your initial area, for me since i was one of the horsemen, it was mulgore or something like that. very fun. when the game leads to the barrens its starts to get ridiculas, its just managable to solo most of the quests there. this is not including the elite quests which are meant for parties, you can just barely solo quests which are 'designed to be solo'd' for you level. then after that at around 23 you go to ashenvale or something, the next area, then its the real wow, tedious and fucking boring. you need a friend to help you, forget about doing this solo. its difficult and the quests are fucking tedious,

heres some examples

go all the way there (45minutes to get there, 2 hours to find out were the fuck exactly he wants you to go - to a complete new fucking area while you are lvl 14 which had lvl 30 content) then once you get there you speak to some idiot who the other guy told you to talk to (quest is in _yellow_ so its your level) get a quest from him to find out there no fucking way you can do it becuase its designed for lvl 25 (quest is in _orange_ nfi). but you are lvl 14, THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU GIVE ME THE QUEST.

but there other quests to fill in the gaps? no there isnt. 1 - 23 feasable it takes around 4 - 6 days. after that its eq.

stay away from mmo, there all time sinks to keep you paying fkn criminals.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You're right xemous. The Horde are pretty much screwed on content. There's a lot of 'gap filler quests' for the Alliance, but there's absolutely none for the Horde. Granted this wasn't too big a deal during beta, when yellow and orange quests were difficult, but completable for lower level characters but it's not that way in retail. It is *impossible* to hit a monster that's 2 or more levels above you now.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I have a rule against playing MMOs. Part of it is that I just can’t justify the cost because they don’t fit my playing habits.

I usually have five or more games installed at any one time. I tend to play one for a few days or weeks, then switch to another for a few days or weeks. If I had an MMO with a monthly fee I’d almost feel guilty for not making it my only game, because otherwise I’m throwing money down a hole since my use of the software would be so intermittent.

Besides, no MMO, or any other game, is good enough to be my only game. I don’t think MMOs would even be worth it to me if I paid up front for a fixed amount of in-game hours rather than paying a monthly or yearly fee.

I did have a brief moment when I contemplated making WoW an exception to my No MMO policy. But I rapidly snapped back to sanity after reading stuff like:

Exitium said:
It's still a long throw away from how good it used to be during the Betas. Getting rid of skills, screwing up Taunt, nerfing the talents of each class in order to churn them out in cookie cutter party roles (e.g. warrior tanks, priest heals) and getting rid of all their 'utility skills' like the Mage's lockpick was all the tip of the iceberg.

If they undo some of that stuff and give the game the variety of character customization it had in the Betas, it'd be worth playing if you can stomach the level grind, the usual shit that comes with MMORPGs and the monthly fee. It's bad enough that housing, player vendors and epic classes aren't implemented as Blizzard promised they would be prior to the game's release.

Also, all the problems with quests and opponents not being properly matched to player level – that was a main issue turning me off to Diablo II after about level 50. It just got impossible quickly without uber gear and so forth. You could never get enough invested skill with the level cap, either. I kept wishing the game design would have just let me max out one of each character class so I can be done with the “chore” portion of the game and then be free play around with the characters.

But I imagine Blizzard’s counter-argument to my main point would be that the game was far too easy for players who both were level 99 and did have uber gear. So the patches needed to make it harder. But I just don’t think the game was fun enough after about level 50 or 60 to treadmill the rest of the way. Even players who did said they wanted to shoot themselves in the head because item runs were so unbearably repetitive.

Basically, D2 + WoW = erosion of my faith in Blizzard.

I am thinking about playing Guild Wars. Its pricing structure mirrors the standard core game + expansion model, which works better for me. I want to exhaust content at my own pace, then pay for more.

Rayt

Liturgist
I dunno, the 1.10 patch really improved Diablo 2 because it created a boatload more viable character builds. It also increased the difficulty forcing you to play more with friends to cruise through Hell difficulty, which isn't really a bad thing. As for über equipment, it seems only in pvp you really need that and pvp is one of the most stupid things in Diablo 2 anyway (next to magic finding).

Anyway, Blizzard released about 20 new runewords yesterday and they're not all made of insane high runes, so I'm happy for the next few weeks.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Rayt said:
Blizzard released about 20 new runewords yesterday and they're not all made of insane high runes.

I didn't know that. It's been so long since I've played. I'll have to pop over to the game's site and check them out. Maybe it's worth picking up again.

EDIT: Wait, who am I kidding? I do like it in some ways, but there are so many other problems too (from my perspective). I can't remember if the 4X AR bug is gone or not, and if melee and 'casting are equally viable. It's doubtless still tough to build a character with a well-rounded balance of attacks for all enemies given immuniites, etc. (I hate needing to party up. That's just me.)

I can see how plenty of people would still have lots of fun with D2. But I think I'm done. But I probably will get D3 though.

eldestgoat

Novice
wow fuckin owns u bitch

exitum ur such a whiny faggot if ur so big y dont u come over to archimon n ill fuckin kick ur ass

talkin shit about blizzs best game

fuckin lamer

greetz
:cool:

xemous

Arcane
theres a quest in green called 'counter attack'. you have to kill all these horsemen kolar, they invade because you killed three of there leaders see. magicly whilst travelling back and forth through the area were you killed them trying to figure out were the fuck to go for the new quest that you cant complete they are back again somehow even though you killed them.
anyway, the invasion begins as soon as you tell the quest giver [click the text "wtf are the lokar?!" "LOOK TO THE WEST!" ] they appear.
i left this quest right to the end because it was hard, thinking that im 9 levels higher than the toughest kolar it would be a peice of cake. im playing a tauren warrior with some fairly solid gear.
i still can't complete the quest, i keep getting swamped by them. it's not an elite quest so its meant to be soloable. to help you, because a shit load of these things spawn friendly orcs and trolls appear out of thin air as the kolar do, they are even one level higher than the kolar. then when i had the rare chance to see a one on one, the level 16 kolar killed the lvl 17 orc for some strange reasons. but 10 or so kolar spawn at the same time , while only 3 orcs spawn so its up to you.

to complete the quest you need to kill heaps of these things before there final leader comes (the fourth one) and kill him at the same time as surviving about 20 of these kolar attacking you also while they spawn in.

not possible without at least four people. but everyone is so busy! running around doing there own thing, or doing it at a different time no body as the time and patience to find a group that works well. so i said ill go over to the RP server, the role play server. those morons are all in there 40ies could care less about solo play if i type like a moron im sure i can gather a group together. but i could'nt stomach the general chat while i was level'ing.. oops sorry, 'seasoning' up so i get the quest. they all talk like fucking idiots, i can't understand what there saying half the time. there version of RP (this is my first time on a rp server) is talking in old english , example [GREETINGS FRIEND, WE MUST ATTACK THESE FIENDS TO THE NORTH, THEY ARE INVADING OUR SACRED LANDS !!; YES BROTHER! LETS BRING THEM SWIFT DEATH!] its either that, or the troll [ELLO MON HOW YOU DOIN']

most fustrating quest ever, other than that i have about 17 quests open that i cant complete / require me to spend 6 hours travelling to talk to some fool for 50 exp, to give me a quest that i really can't complete.

anyway, just a warning if you must try out the game grab a trial account of a fool that bought the collectors, or just take my word for it and don't buy it.

kris

Arcane
A MMORPG should have a structure that allows for at least a level per 4 hours of playing time, anything less than that is not acceptable. as it is I fee like noone have accomplished that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom