Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamespot's nominees for RPG of year 2004

Lomer

Liturgist
Here is the list of Gamespot's nominees for RPG of the year:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/14 ... 15069.html

It seems their bad review of Bloodlines has predetermined its exclusion from the list. I admit that I haven't played any of the listed RPGs, but they must be damn good to justify such decision :lol: . Who would guess that Bloodlines will be beaten by Paper Mario :)

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I awards suck donkey balls. Bloodlines isn't mentioned at all. Now people might think that I'm just being biased towards the game, but I think it should have been in the runnings for the Best Voice Acting category as well as Best RPG. The Best RPG category doesn't have a single PC RPG in it. Can someone who has played both KOTOR2 and Bloodlines comment on the two games; can you give a comparison of gameplay, graphics, bugs, etc. The reason I ask, is it seems to me from the reviews that KOTOR2 has a lot of the same problems that Bloodlines had such as framerate issues, graphics, certain bugs (though I haven't heard of any gamestopping bugs in KOTOR2), combat being too easy in KOTOR2 while Bloodlines having too much combat, etc. So I don't seen how Bloodlines would be skipped out on in that category, if nothing else at least represent the PC category for RPGs. It's not like consoles are known for their great in depth RPGs while PCs aren't. Three of the best "RPGs" are on the Game Cube for crying out loud. I haven't even heard of those games, let alone seen a review of one.

Oh well, I've got a Physics final in an hour and half so I should get off of my rant now.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Aside from KOTOR2, the rest are fricking adventure games with statistics. :roll:

Then again, it IS GameSpot. What can you expect?

Surlent

Liturgist
That list sucks goatballs. Half of the awards are DUBIOUS HONORS for low rated games.
Most Disappointing Delay for games that even haven't come out yet or how can you rate Best Game No One Played ?
Gamespot has weird sense of humor.
These guys sit there and throw insults at games and their developers. Just who the hell they think they are ? Oh wait, that sounds somewhat familiar. :?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
must...resist...posting...this as news and calling the fucking morons ...well, actually "fucking morons" sounds like a good name for this occasion.

Mendoza

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
The reason I ask, is it seems to me from the reviews that KOTOR2 has a lot of the same problems that Bloodlines had such as framerate issues, graphics, certain bugs (though I haven't heard of any gamestopping bugs in KOTOR2), combat being too easy in KOTOR2 while Bloodlines having too much combat, etc. So I don't seen how Bloodlines would be skipped out on in that category, if nothing else at least represent the PC category for RPGs.

But Bloodlines doesn't have lightsabers. Duh! :roll:

The whole thing is farcical anyway. They gave Halo 2 a score of 9.4 only a month ago, and have nominated it for 'Most disappointing game'. And the have a 'Best light bloom' category. Monkeys with typewriters could have come up with a more sensible list.

Sabotai

Liturgist
Best Game Based on a TV or Film Property

Most Light Bloom

Most Baditude

Worst Use of Celebrity Voices

Most Despicable Product Placement

Best New Character

Why are there no "Coolest weapon" or "Best jiggly boobs" -categories? I'm wondering what new categories they come up with next year.

The Exar

Liturgist
Mendoza said:
But Bloodlines doesn't have lightsabers. Duh! :roll:
Freaking right!

And to answer...:
Otaku_Hanzo said:
The reviewers are whores who sucked Bioware's dick on the first game and gave it rave reviews. Now that they don't have a big fat cock (Bioware) to gnaw on, they're saying it like it is (and was with KOTOR).

It seems I'm a fool. How did I miss such GREAT RPGs!!!! Like:
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (GC)
AND =----------------- PAPER MARIO--------------= !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lomer

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
must...resist...posting...this as news and calling the fucking morons ...well, actually "fucking morons" sounds like a good name for this occasion.

Surrender to your feelings :lol: ! Unless some new posting rules have been adopted by the site management.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Meh. I disagree with most of thier list too; but you guys are a bunch of crybabies. Geez.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I think it's pretty amusing that the Bards Tale "remake" isn't even in the running for funniest game. The devs must feel pretty bad about that, or maybe they have the same opinion of GameSpot everyone here seems to. But even so, it's pretty bad when a company *tries* to put so much heart, soul and humor into a game and it doesn't end up in the running at all. It's not even in any positive categories so far: action, RPG, or anything, let alone humor. Just worst celeb voice.

EDIT: Maybe it should have been in for worst use of a license. :o

The Exar

Liturgist
I've read the whole list and I found it pretty lame. I'm forvard to see the final for the best games in each category. But it seems we can't trust GameSpot much for proffesional opinion. Let's don't discuss something beneath our rank.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
You mean Gayspot, probably. I say leave them to their imaginery awards. And still, no Geneforge 2 or Blades of Avernum nominees?

On a side note - I am actually considering buying a console. At least they obviosly get their fare share of RPGs these days, so unlike the PC gaming scene, which gets only descent (since none of them is actually that good, and compared to all the nothing that comes out) action RPGs comig from Germany and the region - games like Sacred, Beyond Divinity & Cult (all of them not necessarily bad, but not that good either).

Adventures with statistics you say? I got nothing against adventures or statistics. If they provide a good story, a nice bunch of quests, some good places to explore with NPC that have some character assingned to them and have even half descent combat, bring them on!

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
My words exactly. You check out the other nominations - most games got several nominees in the good cathegories, while having a nomination in the most dissapointing game one. That is soooo gamespotish.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Vault Dweller said:
I've already done that on 'my' forum. Haven't heard any protests yet but then again, I don't have Exitium on my forum, do I? :wink:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lady Armageddona said:
Adventures with statistics you say? I got nothing against adventures or statistics. If they provide a good story, a nice bunch of quests, some good places to explore with NPC that have some character assingned to them and have even half descent combat, bring them on!
I got nothing against those. It's just... well, they aren't RPGs. All those Final Fantasy-clones and other games are just adventure games in my opinion, with some worthless "level up"-ability that makes your stereotypical characters stronger. That's all. Not saying I don't enjoy games like that, but they're in the wrong category.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lady Armageddona said:
Hmmm, I must say that they are very much more RPGish than some so-called RPG on the PC market. Games like Dungeon Siege, Enclave and of this kind.
When you put it that way; yes. Final Fantasy is more an RPG than Dungeon Siege, sad but true. Otherwise, in comparison with Arcanum, Fallout and Bloodlines; no.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
I don't know. I have played more serously only Final Fantasy V, I think, on a SNES emulator, but I liked it quite much. It offered most things I look for into an RPG - good story (it may be childish, but it is good), exploration, various fine characters, and nice combat.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Owned.

I remember a time when some of you were going on about how awesome GameSpot is in terms of reviews.

Best Original Game Mechanic
Burnout 3: Takedown (Xbox, PS2)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (Xbox, PC)
Fight Night 2004 (Xbox, GC, PS2)
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy (Xbox, PS2)
Halo 2 (Xbox)
What?! No fucking mention of HL2's GravGun?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom