Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Silent Storm dubbed GameSpot's Best Game No One Played

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Nival Interactive; Silent Storm

In their <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/bestof2004/index.html>2004 Game of the Year feature</a>, <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> have named Nival Interactive's Silent Storm as their <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/bestof2004/day3w_20.html>Best Game No One Played</a>, an award reserved for great games that don't sell like they ought to.<blockquote>What makes the commercial failure of Silent Storm so disheartening isn't so much the fact that it's a great game--although it certainly is that--but rather that it likely represents the dying gasp of a style of gameplay that many PC gaming grognards remember fondly. Anyone who played PC games in the early '90s likely has fond memories of X-COM, one of the many classic titles that MicroProse put out. In it, you commanded small squads of soldiers in turn-based tactical combat battles that mixed destructible buildings and true line-of-sight modeling with a creepy alien-invasion storyline to create a game that caused many an all-night gaming session--"Just one more mission!" was a popular refrain for its many addicts. Unfortunately, the tactical combat featured in X-COM never quite took off, and in the end, the real-time strategy of games like Syndicate became the gold standard for tactical combat games.</blockquote>I'd lament the lackluster sales with everyone else, but... *cough* I haven't actually bought it myself.

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought it was ok - but it got a bit silly with all the Sci-fi elements and Panzerkleins later on. Frankly it would have worked fantastically well as a straight WW2 game.

Also there were some silly missions towards the end, where you could fail a mission because somone accidentally hit an innocent who then slunk into a corner and bled to death, or you destroyed so much of the environment that you couldn't actually progress any further.

Overall it was good, but somewhat flawed.

Oh...and the voice acting was horrible.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Heh, was just reading that gamespot piece. Sure was a shame that S2 sold that bad, somehow I thought it sold well in Russia though? The whole article brought another question to my head, how well is spiderweb software doing?
They made quite some good games (avernum 1-3, geneforge 1 and 2) and recently came up with that blades of avernum game. I remember there being a shitload of scenarios for blades of exile, yet boa still has about 5 decent scens out there. Are most people busy with morrowind and nwn mods or is the game just not selling? I'd hate to see Jeff Vogel disappear from the allready way to barren shareware rpg scene.

Spazmo

Erudite
Vogel does well enough to support himself (I think his games are his only source of income) and to keep making games, so there you are.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Geneforge 3 is coming this summer. Avernum 4 is in development. There are a few BoA scenarios, but I haven't tried any, so no comments.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Bah, Evil Genius is the best Unknown of the year, those morons. Not even Gamespot remembered it.

Spazmo

Erudite
Evil Genius was cool at first, but it eventually got old. Too much waiting around for stuff to happen. You'd send out like twenty guys on a mission and half would die, so you'd sit around waiting for your guys to train back up. Then, some soldiers would show up on the island and kill half your workforce before going down, so you have to wait around for THOSE to train up again. Repeat ad nauseum.

Jinsai

Novice
Playing S3 now

Everyone should go get Silent Storm if you haven't yet.

S3's "ethnic" voice acting is still so over-the-top I can't decide if it's offensive or hilarious. The choices for your main character's voice, sadly, are "bad" and "worse". The missions? Backstory? Whatever. It's all pretty much the same. There are enough variations to keep it interesting at least.

I agree the PKs suck. But having just fired up the expansion this weekend, I remember how amazing, fun, and challenging the combat is, and dream of a world where we get a Fallout game that has at least this level of graphical detail.

Silent Storm - It ain't perfect, but it is very, very good.

JanC

Liturgist
Was this game ever released in the shops? I have never even seen it for sale. This could explain why it did badly.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Yes. It had crappy, generic box art. Maybe that's a reason. It did Battlezone in.

dunduks

Liturgist
Trash said:
Sure was a shame that S2 sold that bad, somehow I thought it sold well in Russia though?
It was successful in Russia - hence the expansion and the voice acting was quite good, I dont know how bad it was in english version, but the russian one was ok at the sound department.

triCritical

Erudite
Silent Storm was great. I did not know it did poorly. However, what it really lacked was polish, and I don't even mean in an expansion pack kind of way. What it lacked was more design on just about everything to make the game more fluid strategically from mission to mission to mission. Not to mention have the different mission actually have an impact at the top level from begiinning to end.

Flarnet

Liturgist
Does anyone know of a website that covers games with combat of the turn based variety? 'Cause I'd sure like to play one right fucking now and I can't recall reading about any since the Silent Storm expansion (and TOEE before that).

Or has the world gone so completely down the shitter that there simply are no games like that anymore? Hell I'd settle for something like Incubation just to quench this thirst.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I would recommend RPG Codex, but you are already here. :) I don't think there is such a website what's with turn-based games being all the rage right now and all. Anyway, if you do find it or some cool turn-based games, post some links here.

Edit: Did you try Gearhead?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
We are the only popular community on the internet that places a strong emphisis turn-based games. You're already here.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
dipdipdip said:
Yes. It had crappy, generic box art. Maybe that's a reason. It did Battlezone in.

The box art was rather silly, and it really didn't make much sense considering the game itself. It was a black and white picture of a couple of WW2 soldiers running through some mud screaming.

They probably should have gone the Fallout route and just put the Panzerklien on the cover.

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
I recently bought Silent Storm together with the add-on. Although it's not perfect (like so many of today's games), it is excellent for fans of X-Com but especially Jagged Alliance.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Silent Storm doesn't hold a candle to Jagged Alliance 2. I'm still playing JA2 with the 800x600 resolution mod.

I played both a lot. JA 2 more by a year to be exact, and the only gripe I found was that the allowed range for granades was not reflecting reality in comparison to the amount of equipment you could carry. Oh yeah, and JA 2 let you spread the full auto attacks over an area while SS did not.

Something like spectra shields with added magic +2 glue for uber body protection or weapon modifications that composing of a spring and pipe are not something that make JA 2 better. Motionless tanks don't either. Mechanics wise I find the games equal.

Flarnet

Liturgist
Well I'm generally not interested in large scale battles. Large scale conflicts with smaller battles (think HOMM) is ok, but I care little for huge battles. Combine that with zero historical interest and/or fascination for those times, equipment and people and you have me.

I just want something like Space Hulk with a bit of character development to tie things together across the game. Nothing fancy. I've played those open source Space Hulk board game releases and I can't for the love of me understand how that kind of computer gaming ever fell out of favor.

The problem with Silent Storm is that it forgets that what their customers is REALLY after is not the flashy graphics or the crude rpg system, but the combat tactics. And no amount of destroyable geometry is gonna make up for the fact that SS is quite often a snipe-fest with little tactics at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom