Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2004: The Year in Review

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"No discussion is complete until Volly shows up to tell us that it's pointless."

The discussion isn't pointless. Thea rticle is. There's a difference. Or at least it would be pointless if it didn't give me another exuse to rag on you. :twisted:

"Why?"

Because when i read something I'd rathe rnot be able to predict every single point made. Afterall, i shouldn't know what youa re thinking 'til i read it. That scares me otherwise.

"When in Rome..."

..., tell them they are past their prime and its time to live in the present.

"However, his games are much better in the gameplay department than many other games."

That's right. Clicking repeatedly during combat on simple options and wandering around large rather pointlkess maps with 1 dimensional (and not referring to the grahics) characters is so much better. And, being better than 'crap" is not really a compliment so nice try.

"What are you mumbling about?"

The fact that you got facts wrong. Yeah, yeah, you want examples.

A. BIO has never claimed that their "dwarf" and 'elf" like races would be named different. They did say they'd be different than the typical examples of those races. That has not changed yet you seem to post as fact that it has. Wrong.

B. "Interplay is STILL Alive

Well, on the one hand, it's definitely dead"

So? Which is it? It's imposisble for it to be both. Choose one and don't mislead the 15 readers.

I'm sure there's more knowing the pattern here; but I'll not aste my time combing the entire artcile for them. Other than that, it's entertaining at least. :cool:

Surlent

Liturgist
Volourn said:

So? Which is it? It's imposisble for it to be both
Yes, it's possible be something between.
Interplay is undead and Herve is a walking zombie.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Interplay is undead and Herve is a walking zombie."

Unlike you, I live in the real world. There are no undead. Next.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
Or at least it would be pointless if it didn't give me another exuse to rag on you. :twisted:
That's the spirit. See, it wasn't pointless after all.

Because when i read something I'd rathe rnot be able to predict every single point made.
Then how do you play Bio games? *ok, now I'll be asked to collect 4 itamz, then I have this huge plot twist (patent pending) coming up, and all my choices are cosmetic*

Afterall, i shouldn't know what youa re thinking 'til i read it. That scares me otherwise.
Wow, dude! We share a bond, just like Revan and Bastila in KOTOR! Awesome! You better be a hot chick, Volly :lol:

That's right. Clicking repeatedly during combat on simple options and wandering around large rather pointlkess maps
If I didn't know better I would have thought that you are describing the Infinity Engine games. Teh irony!

A. BIO has never claimed that their "dwarf" and 'elf" like races would be named different. They did say they'd be different than the typical examples of those races. That has not changed yet you seem to post as fact that it has. Wrong.
No, that's what TORN would have: same name, but a bit different. Bio said that they wanted dwarf-LIKE. "Like" refers to something different, just like they are talking about lizard-like races, that are not really lizards, but have some similarities.
B. "Interplay is STILL Alive

So? Which is it? It's imposisble for it to be both. Choose one and don't mislead the 15 readers.
We did a survey before we posted that, and according to it, 7 readers think that Interplay is dead, and 8 think that it's still alive. We tried to cater to the both groups.

Other than that, it's entertaining at least. :cool:
Finally. Thank you. Would it have killed you to say so right away? :)

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Meh I got bored with Spiderweb's demos myself, which is why I've yet to buy any of their games. The combat was indeed a bore from what I've seen, but of course that could always change, so yeah.

But could someone please tell them that an interface that takes up like 3/4 of the screen is... well... shit, frankly?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"all my choices are cosmetic"

Don't lie.

"You better be a hot chick, Volly"

Or what? You gonna spank me? <>

"If I didn't know better I would have thought that you are describing the Infinity Engine games. Teh irony!"

Good thing you know better; or else I'd have to accuse you of stupidity... again. :D

"No, that's what TORN would have: same name, but a bit different. Bio said that they wanted dwarf-LIKE. "Like" refers to something different, just like they are talking about lizard-like races, that are not really lizards, but have some similarities."

Once again. You don't know your facts. "Dwraf-like' doesn't nesseccarily exclude all features of dwarves. Nowhere did they say that the 'dwarf like' race would actually be a cow. R00fles!

Also, once again, get your facts right. BIO has never claimed thgere to be a 'lizard like' race. As wel all know 'professional' previewers don't always get it right. BIO has not claimed anything about the 4th race other than few things ina certain thread a few days ago. Go read it and actually learn the factual information.

"We did a survey before we posted that, and according to it, 7 readers think that Interplay is dead, and 8 think that it's still alive. We tried to cater to the both groups."

All that proves is that the avergae Codexer is as dumb as the average person.

"Finally. Thank you. Would it have killed you to say so right away?"

I don't waste time on things that don't entertain me.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Alright, I'm sorry. I got carried away. You can make plenty of choices. You can choose your class, skills, colors, even the voice; you can even name your own character, you can choose the side quests, which is very cool; you can choose weapons, spells, and other stuff.

Some people say that these choices aren't important, but it's clear that they don't understand DnD like we do. I mean, if you, like, have to kill a golem that could be killed, like, only with blunt weapons, and you, like, totally forgot to carry a hammer, then you are screwed. How is this choice not important, I ask?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, if I can't be right (all the time), I will settle for "funny". I gotta run now, but I'll reply to that truckload of crap you've added to your "don't lie" post later.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"but I'll reply to that truckload of crap you've added to your "don't lie" post later."

LOL Clicked on the submit button too quick. :twisted:

Spazmo

Erudite
Whining about the year? Well, should we do like other sites and hand out sloppy handjobs to an industry that has yet again failed to produce anything really worthwhile in RPGs? Half the internet just hands out GAME OF THE YEAR! awards by the barrelful and it's not like those are any less predictable or interesting. I think we'll go on writing bitch pieces like these every year no matter how good it's been for RPGs just to counterbalance all the happy happy joy joy bullshit spewing out of other media outlets. If we forget the times when developers screw up or otherwise act like morons, you get people actually buying The Fall without being aware of its odious pedigree.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Being opposite for the sake of being opposite doesn't counterbalance anything. It just makes one look as silly and stupid as the other side. extremists ar emorons and I hate them all and want them all dead.

That would be like me coming to the 'Codex and saying I hate FO just to be the "opposite" when in actualllity I like it. Talk about lameness.

Seriously, some (if not lots) of the compalints in the Year Review is just plain juvenile. I mean, OMG, BIO hypes their games. Boo hoo hoo! What a major crime they committed! R00fles!

The Codex may seem different than other gaming sites; but in reality they are the same. Blwoing their own horn just to hear the blast.

P.S. OF course, as long as the horning is entertaining, keep it up. :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"If I didn't know better I would have thought that you are describing the Infinity Engine games. Teh irony!"

Good thing you know better; or else I'd have to accuse you of stupidity... again. :D
Be my guest if that entertains you. Out of curiosity though, why do you think that the description you've given doesn't fit the IE games like a glove?

Once again. You don't know your facts. "Dwraf-like' doesn't nesseccarily exclude all features of dwarves. Nowhere did they say that the 'dwarf like' race would actually be a cow. R00fles!
Your logic sucks. Dwarf-like implies one thing - that it aint no dwarf, but a race that has some common traits with dwarves (i.e. short and stocky, or whatever angle Bio wanted to develop), so there is no need for this "cow" nonsense. One may argue that it was the magazine that got the info wrong, but this explanation is quickly becoming a standard response these days (Bethesda: no we didn't say it aint gonna be isometric like BG, it was the magazine; no we didn't say nothin' about survival horror, it was the magazine, etc). Btw, don't they have people whose job is to look at the articles before they go to print? I wonder what PR stands for.

Also, once again, get your facts right. BIO has never claimed thgere to be a 'lizard like' race. As wel all know 'professional' previewers don't always get it right. BIO has not claimed anything about the 4th race other than few things ina certain thread a few days ago. Go read it and actually learn the factual information.
I did.

DGaider: "We never said that they were reptiles or even vaguely reptilian. A couple of the preview websites mentioned the race being either reptilian or draconian... and while <b>I can sort of see where they were coming from</b>, I really think they must not have been paying very close attention or just remembered a single feature which struck them as particularly reptilian
They're not lizard men, for the last time.

I know it's just a handy reference for some, as you've nothing else to call them, but the reason they don't have any snake-like or lizard-like characteristics is because they're not based on snakes or lizards. Period.

Some people might think the race is vaguely lizard-like, I suppose, but the race in no way corresponds to a "humanoid version" of any Earth creature. Nor is it a translation of any creature that exists inside the D&D mythos."

Ok, let's summarize what's known about the lizard-LIKE race:

1. They are not even vaguely reptilian, but they have reptilian features.
2. They are not lizards, but lizard men is a handy reference for them
3. They are not lizards, but most people would think that they are, and David CAN SEE WHY.

Yep, definitely not a lizard-like race.

"We did a survey before we posted that, and according to it, 7 readers think that Interplay is dead, and 8 think that it's still alive. We tried to cater to the both groups."

All that proves is that the avergae Codexer is as dumb as the average person.
Objection! There are much dumber people.

Being opposite for the sake of being opposite doesn't counterbalance anything. It just makes one look as silly and stupid as the other side.
I agree, but we are not being opposite for the sake of being opposite. We really can't stand that shit. Someone said in one of the recent flame wars that the Codex is like an anti-hype thingy. I kinda agree with that. We are like them crazy ecologists, but better. Every time someone dumps a ton of toxic hype into the internet ocean, we dump some anti-hype to make it more fun. Exaggerations? Yeah, sure. Taking words out of context? At least once a week. Assumptions? Abso-fucking-lutely! If someone can assume that the game in pre-production is a blockbuster, we can assume that it's gonna suck. Right back at you, pal. :wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
" Out of curiosity though, why do you think that the description you've given doesn't fit the IE games like a glove? "

IE games make you use tatics in combat. SW games don't from whatI've seen. Most of the IE screens aren't filled with 1 dimensional characetrs. Maybe 2 dimensional; but surely not 2 dimensional. And, outside of BG1's outdoor areas andmaybe 3 maps in BG2; IE games aren't filled with a huge map of nothing.That's why.

"Your logic sucks. Dwarf-like implies one thing - that it aint no dwarf, but a race that has some common traits with dwarves (i.e. short and stocky, or whatever angle Bio wanted to develop), so there is no need for this "cow" nonsense. One may argue that it was the magazine that got the info wrong, but this explanation is quickly becoming a standard response these days (Bethesda: no we didn't say it aint gonna be isometric like BG, it was the magazine; no we didn't say nothin' about survival horror, it was the magazine, etc). Btw, don't they have people whose job is to look at the articles before they go to print? I wonder what PR stands for."

None of the info we have of the dwarf like race refutes any of this. Just because it's called 'dwarf" doesn't mean it's exactly like a dwarf is it. It's still dwarf-like. The logic is very sound. The race may be called dwarf in the DA world; but it is not exactly like the dwarf as we know it in D&D. Case closed.

"I did.

DGaider: "We never said that they were reptiles or even vaguely reptilian. A couple of the preview websites mentioned the race being either reptilian or draconian... and while I can sort of see where they were coming from, I really think they must not have been paying very close attention or just remembered a single feature which struck them as particularly reptilian
They're not lizard men, for the last time.

I know it's just a handy reference for some, as you've nothing else to call them, but the reason they don't have any snake-like or lizard-like characteristics is because they're not based on snakes or lizards. Period.

Some people might think the race is vaguely lizard-like, I suppose, but the race in no way corresponds to a "humanoid version" of any Earth creature. Nor is it a translation of any creature that exists inside the D&D mythos."

Ok, let's summarize what's known about the lizard-LIKE race:

1. They are not even vaguely reptilian, but they have reptilian features.
2. They are not lizards, but lizard men is a handy reference for them
3. They are not lizards, but most people would think that they are, and David CAN SEE WHY.

Yep, definitely not a lizard-like race."

All this proves is that Gaider thinks lots of stupid people may get confused and think of the undisclosed race as 'lizard like'. It's not his fualt they are so stupid to think that. R00fles!

"the Codex is like an anti-hype thingy."

This is simply not rue. The Codex is one of the biggest hypers on the 'net. All one has to see is the DOZENS of KOTOR2 reviewers for x-box on the site. Not to mention, all the little tid bits for DR which is a game that is like 2-3 yearsa way. Or the spamming of the BL reviews/previews. Sorry, 'Codex is very much about hype. It just pretends to be ant hype when in actuality, the 'Codex feeds and lives off the hype as much as a vampire lives and eats off blood.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
IE games make you use tatics in combat. SW games don't from what I've seen.
Then I have to assume that you haven't seen much. While the SW games aren't perfect, they have a strong tactical element. In the Avernum games you can use different classes and abilities, in Geneforge games, you can choose the creatures you shape, their skills and abilities, creating your own party basically.

Maybe 2 dimensional; but surely not 2 dimensional.
No more crack for this gentleman, please.

And, outside of BG1's outdoor areas andmaybe 3 maps in BG2; IE games aren't filled with a huge map of nothing.
BG maps are prettier, but they are the same ol' nothing. The goal is either to clear the map or to move through, looking for quests and items. Same shit, different backgrounds.

None of the info we have of the dwarf like race refutes any of this. Just because it's called 'dwarf" doesn't mean it's exactly like a dwarf is it. It's still dwarf-like. The logic is very sound. The race may be called dwarf in the DA world; but it is not exactly like the dwarf as we know it in D&D. Case closed.
Why call a dwarf dwarf-like then if it's the same character/race? There is no reason for that. Arcanum had "evolved", more civilized races where orcs were employed as bodyguards, yet they didn't call them orc-like. Why? Because it was the same old fucking orc. There is only one reason to call a race dwarf-like, if it's something different, yet resembles the dwarves somewhat. Case closed.

All this proves is that Gaider thinks lots of stupid people may get confused and think of the undisclosed race as 'lizard like'. It's not his fualt they are so stupid to think that. R00fles!
R00fles indeed. Did you miss the part where he states that he understand why people think they are lizards, that lizard-men is a handy reference (I doubt that he would say that if it was a cat-race or something), and that the new race has some reptilian features. And lastly, it's absolutely impossible to imagine lizard-like creatures in a fucking DRAGON Age game. Doh!

All one has to see is the DOZENS of KOTOR2 reviewers for x-box on the site. Not to mention, all the little tid bits for DR which is a game that is like 2-3 yearsa way. Or the spamming of the BL reviews/previews.
HALLO! EARTH TO VOLOURN!!! WE R TEH NEWS SIET!!111

Sorry, 'Codex is very much about hype. It just pretends to be ant hype when in actuality, the 'Codex feeds and lives off the hype as much as a vampire lives and eats off blood.
lol :lol: Like Blade, all their strengths, none of their weaknesses.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Then I have to assume that you haven't seen much. While the SW games aren't perfect, they have a strong tactical element. In the Avernum games you can use different classes and abilities, in Geneforge games, you can choose the creatures you shape, their skills and abilities, creating your own party basically."

I saw enough of SW games to know that theya re vastly overrated espicially combat wise.

"No more crack for this gentleman, please."

LOL I meant 1 dimsneional (obvious). As for crack, I barely know whaqt it looks like unless you are referring to the crack of Britney Spear's backside.

"BG maps are prettier, but they are the same ol' nothing. The goal is either to clear the map or to move through, looking for quests and items. Same shit, different backgrounds."

A lot more going on then the SW game "maps".

"Why call a dwarf dwarf-like then if it's the same character/race? There is no reason for that. Arcanum had "evolved", more civilized races where orcs were employed as bodyguards, yet they didn't call them orc-like. Why? Because it was the same old fucking orc. There is only one reason to call a race dwarf-like, if it's something different, yet resembles the dwarves somewhat. Case closed."

'Cause supposedly, they won't be the same. Liek i said, dwarves on DA for all we know could be surface dweller who enter mines to mine and get a long with whatever race replaces the orc's palce in the world while other race's don't understand the friendship. Or perhaps DA dwarves have 3 arms. Who the frig knows other than BIO.

"R00fles indeed. Did you miss the part where he states that he understand why people think they are lizards, that lizard-men is a handy reference (I doubt that he would say that if it was a cat-race or something), and that the new race has some reptilian features. And lastly, it's absolutely impossible to imagine lizard-like creatures in a fucking DRAGON Age game. Doh!"

Like I said above, he udnerstands why stupid people could mistake them as 'lizard like'. Next.

"lol Like Blade, all their strengths, none of their weaknesses."

Yeah, except you have all your own weaknesses.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
I saw enough of SW games to know that theya re vastly overrated espicially combat wise.
No more overrated that the IE combat. The SW games are turn-based so they win by default. If both engines had the same combat mode, they would be exactly the same.

"No more crack for this gentleman, please."

LOL I meant 1 dimsneional (obvious). As for crack, I barely know whaqt it looks like unless you are referring to the crack of Britney Spear's backside.
Well, no more of whatever crack that gets you so excited. And what the fuck is "dimsneional" anyway?

"BG maps are prettier, but they are the same ol' nothing. The goal is either to clear the map or to move through, looking for quests and items. Same shit, different backgrounds."

A lot more going on then the SW game "maps".
Like what?

'Cause supposedly, they won't be the same. Liek i said, dwarves on DA for all we know could be surface dweller who enter mines to mine and get a long with whatever race replaces the orc's palce in the world while other race's don't understand the friendship. Or perhaps DA dwarves have 3 arms. Who the frig knows other than BIO.
Well, if they have 3 arms, they won't be dwarves anymore, would they? That's the whole point about dwarves and dwarves-like. Originally they wanted to have dwarves-like (that's the 3-arm dude from your example), but then they've decided to go with the plain old dwarves after some behavior correctional therapy.

"R00fles indeed. Did you miss the part where he states that he understand why people think they are lizards, that lizard-men is a handy reference (I doubt that he would say that if it was a cat-race or something), and that the new race has some reptilian features. And lastly, it's absolutely impossible to imagine lizard-like creatures in a fucking DRAGON Age game. Doh!"

Like I said above, he udnerstands why stupid people could mistake them as 'lizard like'. Next.
You know that your opponent lost and got nothing when he starts restating his position.

Yeah, except you have all your own weaknesses.
Who doesn't? As long as we don't have THEIR weaknesses, we are alright.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The SW games are turn-based so they win by default."

Hahaha. Fanboys automatically lose. TB does not = good or even better. Stop spreading rumours, myths, and innuendo. Next, you'll be posting bullshit that POR2 has better combat than BL. Hahahahaha.

"And what the fuck is "dimsneional" anyway?"

Read the dictionary for once. While you do that, I'll learn how to type. Or not.

"Like what?"

Characters with character. Quests that matter. Actual depth, and purpose to playing other than "OMG It's TB!".

"Well, if they have 3 arms, they won't be dwarves anymore, would they? "

Sure, you can. Use logic. If there is a race in the DA world that has 3 arms and are called 'dwarves'; they very much are dwarves. Geez.. Use your brain. I know the zombie known as Interplay hasn't eaten it yet. Stop trying to stereotype anything named 'dwarf' into the prototypical D&D/fantasy/Tolkien dwarf.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"The SW games are turn-based so they win by default."

Hahaha. Fanboys automatically lose.
That disqualifies you as well, so I guess we both lose.

Next, you'll be posting bullshit that POR2 has better combat than BL.
Well, it's been awhile, so it's hard to say which was worse, but the BL combat was so bad that it would be pointless comparing it to some other bad combat implementations.

Characters with character. Quests that matter. Actual depth, and purpose to playing other than "OMG It's TB!".
Characters with character: whining, bitching, and complaining
Quests that matter: they give loot and experience
Actual depth: you are a child of God, you kill things and level up.
Purpose to playing: collecting loot and levelling up

"Well, if they have 3 arms, they won't be dwarves anymore, would they? "

Sure, you can. Use logic. If there is a race in the DA world that has 3 arms and are called 'dwarves'; they very much are dwarves. Geez.. Use your brain.
Same advice, pal. It's like if there are swords in DA and they are called axes; they very much are axes, but the audience wouldn't like that and would be confused. Same here. There are certain stereotypes associated with certain words and concepts, and while there is some degree of freedom to tweak things a little bit, this freedom is very limited. So, if you are ok with that, you go with dwarves, if you must have the 3rd arm growing out of their asses for some reasons, then you go with dwarves-like. Simple as that.

Stop trying to stereotype anything named 'dwarf' into the prototypical D&D/fantasy/Tolkien dwarf.
Sorry to break it to you, but neither DnD nor Tolkien invented dwarves or established the sterotypes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"but the BL combat was so bad that it would be pointless comparing it to some other bad combat implementations. "

No.

"Characters with character: whining, bitching, and complaining
Purpose to playing: collecting loot and levelling up"

No.

"Same advice, pal. It's like if there are swords in DA and they are called axes; they very much are axes, but the audience wouldn't like that and would be confused. Same here. There are certain stereotypes associated with certain words and concepts, and while there is some degree of freedom to tweak things a little bit, this freedom is very limited. So, if you are ok with that, you go with dwarves, if you must have the 3rd arm growing out of their asses for some reasons, then you go with dwarves-like. Simple as that."

Do you really think I care what most people think about this subject matter? DA's world is not an old world. It's a new world with its own rules, people,s and guidelines. If there is a race that has 3 arms that the people of DA call dwarves they are dwarves. Period.

If I want to make a tall, lean race that lives on water rafts and call themd warves; than by golly they are dwarves. Afterall, the term dwarf actually has many meanings to it as you point out below.

"Sorry to break it to you, but neither DnD nor Tolkien invented dwarves or established the sterotypes."

No shit sherlock. Of course, those are the steroetypes thata re most petiennt. Afterall, no dinkdonk is gonna care about stuff that were written or believed hudnreds if not longer eyars ago. Current times it is the Tolkienesque dwarves that influence how people think about dwarves hence the D&D stereotypical dwarf even thoguh D&D itself actually breaks the streotype with its multiple dwarven races.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Bethesda, developer of the odious Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind has sunk deeper into the abyss of mass-market friendly games (rated R for retarded), lies, and greed by snatching the sacred Fallout license from Troika's financially weak fingers, and attempting to dumb down the already dumbed down gameplay in Oblivion, the fourth chapter in the Elder Scrolls series.
Oh! Poor Troika! :roll:

Stark

Liturgist
a little diversion from VD and Volourn's love slap feast: did Dues Ex 2 came out this year? Or everyone is trying so hard to forget it?

then there's Fable. while technically a console game, it did generate alot of hot air and our "Fable" thread is still ongoing (page 16 the last i looked).

we have little to look forward to next year, and none to get excited about. Witcher and Gothic 3 are the only ones that have potential to pleasantly surprise me.

speaking of which, now that Troika completed Bloodlines, are they back to twiddling their tumbs? back to doing prototypes and demos to woo publishers?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"but the BL combat was so bad that it would be pointless comparing it to some other bad combat implementations. "

No.
Yes

"Characters with character: whining, bitching, and complaining
Purpose to playing: collecting loot and levelling up"

No.
Yes

Do you really think I care what most people think about this subject matter?
I wouldn't like you so much if you did. :wink: It's not about you though.

DA's world is not an old world. It's a new world with its own rules, people,s and guidelines. If there is a race that has 3 arms that the people of DA call dwarves they are dwarves. Period.
They can do whatever they want, but they still have to sell the game, so they won't.

If I want to make a tall, lean race that lives on water rafts and call themd warves; than by golly they are dwarves.
Well, by golly, if you are so fucking creative that you can invent a tall, lean, water raft dwelling race, I hope you can come up with a new name too. :wink:

Current times it is the Tolkienesque dwarves that influence how people think about dwarves hence the D&D stereotypical dwarf even thoguh D&D itself actually breaks the streotype with its multiple dwarven races.
That totally stole that concept from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. :lol: Anyway, as you said, Tolkien established one stereotype, DnD broke it by doing something else, but overall, the concept didn't change much, so there is no reason for all that "don't stereotype dwarves" drama.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Exitium said:
Bethesda, developer of the odious Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind has sunk deeper into the abyss of mass-market friendly games (rated R for retarded), lies, and greed by snatching the sacred Fallout license from Troika's financially weak fingers, and attempting to dumb down the already dumbed down gameplay in Oblivion, the fourth chapter in the Elder Scrolls series.
Oh! Poor Troika! :roll:
What's your problem, Exit? No, really? You know what I mean. Taking the license from its creators is unethical, no matter how you look at it. Yes, it's business, and Beth doesn't owe shit to nobody, but that was a rotten decision and I hope it will bite someone in the ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom