Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2004: The Year in Review

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
As for the Interplay-Troika FO thging. Keep crying; but Interplay created the setting, the game, the characters. Everything. Take your lips of Tim Cain's ass for a sec.

Corporations are inanimate objects incapable of creating anything. Although I happen to find arguing semantics with a retard to be quite the party. People OTOH can create things, oh and flipping burgers may never have introduced you to those little pieces of paper, which state that everything you do with X corporations dolllars belongs to X corporation. Well I can assure you that they do not say, X corporation will take credit for the creation of your work.

In case you're too often underworked brain has not grasped it yet.

Bjarne Stroustrupp created C++, not Bell Labs.
A group of scientist that create a satellite take credit for their endeavors, not JPL, or the American taxpayers.
The Advanced Research Projects Agency did not create UNIX, the talented group of scientish and engineers did.

Do you get it now? I thought not, but I thought it was worth a try.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Who are you, and why are you still crying about Interplay being responsible for creating FO?

P.S. I have never flipped a burger in my life. Flipped the bird; but never a burger.

Please lie again.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
"What's not to like?"

Let me get started with the last...

Big empty maps.
How about actually playing a few SW games before pretending that you know what you are talking about? Try Geneforge.

NPCs that are simply there adding nothing ot the game experience.
As of opposite to .... what? Btw, the NPCs are as standard for RPGs as they come. There are generic ones and the important ones (quest-givers, story-related, etc). Your responses to the important ones can affect outcomes and go toward establishing your personality, affecting, in turn, other NPCs. Granted, it's simplistic, but it's way more than could be said about many other games.

One of the most simple, most boring, crappy turn based combat games ever. Only POR2 is worse from what I've seen.
Like everything else, it's simplistic, but it gets the job done. Much better than that IE RT crap.

As for the Interplay-Troika FO thging. Keep crying; but Interplay created the setting, the game, the characters. Everything. Take your lips of Tim Cain's ass for a sec.
This is kinda stupid, even for you. Stating that Troika's founders created the setting and a large part of the game, and that they are the ones who should have been working on a sequel is sucking up? If you ran out of arguments, say so. Don't embarrass yourself like that.

Anyway, the correct answer is: people create, companies own.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
Who are you,

No one of consequence.

and why are you still crying about Interplay being responsible for creating FO?

Ah, come on, its no fun arguing semantics if,

1) change your argument.
2) totally dodge any legitimate counter argument.

P.S. I have never flipped a burger in my life. Flipped the bird; but never a burger.

[newsflash]I was just doing one of them ad-hominem's.[/newsflash]

Vault Dweller

Developer
Jed said:
Spaz, VD, when are you guys gonna stop acknowledging Volourn? You can't argue with her, it's like trying to argue with the wind.
But it's the only game in town...

Jed

Cipher
But it's gotten so old at this point...I'm honestly over it. Rex flip flop counting is the fresh new game.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Actually Volourn is right in most cases here. So whether he is a she or that he tends to selectively ignore points brought up is quite irrelevant, cause there's nothing worth arguing about.

Exitium's fliflopping is no fun either. He's just a Visceris wannabe. Visceris has done it all before and so much more.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"How about actually playing a few SW games before pretending that you know what you are talking about?"

I played the demos. That was bad enough. I cna't beleive I *almost* allowed the 'Codex to convince me to break my 'Don't buy stuff over the 'net' junk. I even had the gall to register at SW's messageboards at the time. R00fles!

Again, about the whole Interplay-Troika-Obsidina-Exile-FO thing. Interplay created the setting. Some of the founders and employees of those other three newer companies HELPED create it as employees of... you guessed it... INTERPLAY.

Period.

"But it's gotten so old at this point...I'm honestly over it. Rex flip flop counting is the fresh new game."

Says the one who continues who harasses others he is supposedly bored with to play a game he supposedly hates with him. Hahahaha!

triCritical

Erudite
Transcendent One said:
Actually Volourn is right in most cases here.

It can quote DnD rules rather quickly but that is about all its brain capacity can handle. He just argues illogical points for the sake of arguing. He says how New Reno is the bomb and then turns around and goes MCA is an overrated developer. He just likes to argue but doesn't have a leg to stand on if its not DnD related. And for the record most people here hate DnD. Not me, but I know your out there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"He just argues illogical points for the sake of arguing. He says how New Reno is the bomb and then turns around and goes MCA is an overrated developer."

Yeah. I like a city he developed. That doens't mean I think he's God's Gift to Writer-Developers like a lot of people. Liking someone and thinking they are genrally overrated are not mutally exlusive. Only a dumbass like you would think so.

"He just argues illogical points for the sake of arguing."

When I start arguing how much Fallout sucks here then you have a point. Of course, I stop arguing and just post when I agree with someone with poists like "x wins', 'I agree', or some other shit like that.

Hahaha.

R00fles!

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Transcendent One said:
Like?

The SW demo combat thing. And the Troika thing. Okay that's two things. But two of the bigger ones being discussed it seems.

PS I like DnD 3/3.5 edition. It's a nice system.

Oh and yeah, Volourn can't debate, that isn't new to anyone I think.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
I played the demos.
Then why do you lie?

I cna't beleive I *almost* allowed the 'Codex to convince me ...
That's understandable. Peer pressure, weak-minded individual... lol

I even had the gall to register at SW's messageboards at the time.
Goes without saying. You can't miss an opportunity to spam another forum :p

Again, about the whole Interplay-Troika-Obsidina-Exile-FO thing. Interplay created the setting. Some of the founders and employees of those other three newer companies HELPED create it as employees of... you guessed it... INTERPLAY.
You have stated that bullshit several times. Just because you repeat it over and over again, it doesn't become an actual argument. Do yourself a favor, and read what Tri wrote, especially the examples.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Transcendent One said:
Vault Dweller said:
Transcendent One said:
Like?

The SW demo combat thing. And the Troika thing. Okay that's two things. But two of the bigger ones being discussed it seems.
Nobody here has argued that the SW combat system is da bomb. So, that's not really a point or anything. What about the Troika thing? Do you also think that Interplay *created* Fallout?

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
"He just argues illogical points for the sake of arguing. He says how New Reno is the bomb and then turns around and goes MCA is an overrated developer."

Yeah. I like a city he developed. That doens't mean I think he's God's Gift to Writer-Developers like a lot of people. Liking someone and thinking they are genrally overrated are not mutally exlusive. Only a dumbass like you would think so.

So what has he done to deserve the title overrated. He made the FO bible so the FO people like him? And he was the lead design on a game, which was considered by many to be one of the best CRPG's made. Not to mention his writing stands out in GREEN NEON in IWD2, compared to everyone else, no offense, to other developers. Not to mention that he designed your favorite areas in your alledged favorite game.

Just admit you like to argue for the sake of arguing.

triCritical

Erudite
Transcendent One said:
PS I like DnD 3/3.5 edition. It's a nice system.

I like hight fantasy and have a great nostalgia for DnD. And while I believe that 3/3.5 are better rules, I would much rather play a skills based system classless system.

Balor

Arcane
While it's offtopic, it's great that someone feels exactly like me :). I'm one of general ADnD lovers/haters. I love it's indepts settings, but hate it's gameplay dynamics with a passion. Oh, and btw, only when it comes to ADnD in CRPGs... since it fits perfectly what it was made for: P&P, lazy DMs with a handful of dice. When it comes to computers - they can calculate, say, (the most odious thing in, expecially earlier, version of ADnD) chance to hit - not based on some bogus hitrolls, but weavpon coordinates, movement vector, speed, and calculate damage based on weapon weght, sharpeness, balance - all in a set of formulas from material resistance - w/o breaking a sweat! I'm a bit into historical reconstruction (for brief idea, try The ARMA - only with Russian specifics, in my case) - and combat in modern (even not ADnD-based) RPGs make me at best wince, and somethime almost literally retch.
And for classless, skill-based system - well, it's my dream too. While Fallout was great RP-wise, it's levels and skills, taken from GURPs, were a disappointment for me. After all, the classic question - how can I get to shoot 2x better after fetching some kind of vertiberd plans, or get my speechcraft up by stealing a lot of goods from one person in a row? Anyway, the very idea of experience (onless we are talking of it's implementation in E5 :)) - is flawed. It's strained and unrealistic. Well, I may not like plot and quests in MW, but I do like it's skill system - and btw, I've already made it fully levelles (only skill based) with a customly written mod. :) Too bad I'll never actually get to play it :).

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
Says the one who continues who harasses others he is supposedly bored with to play a game he supposedly hates with him. Hahahaha!
Check your messages; I sent you a PM regarding this topic.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Then why do you lie?"

Huh? I never said I played the full games, dumbass.

"That's understandable. Peer pressure, weak-minded individual... lol"

Eh. I didn't buy them. Seems your peer pressure failed in the end.

"Goes without saying. You can't miss an opportunity to spam another forum"

Since when did less than 50 posts become spam? R00fles!

"You have stated that bullshit several times. Just because you repeat it over and over again, it doesn't become an actual argument. Do yourself a favor, and read what Tri wrote, especially the examples."

And, vice versa. Bottom line, Troika did NOT create FO. You repeatedly saying they did does NOT make it true.

"So what has he done to deserve the title overrated."

By having his dick given blwo jobs by most saying he is 'heads and shoulders" above every other Game Writer. That is full of bullshit. And, his IWD2 writing was weak. OMG! Goblins attacked a town. That is such awesome writing! R00fles!

"Just admit you like to argue for the sake of arguing."

Just admit you do. Afterall, you'd be hard pressed to find any scenario where I argued the reverse of something I actually believed. I don't make points that in actuality I disagree with. In essencce, you are lying. I do like debate; but I don't argue for the sake of arguing by making thinsg up. Idiot.

"Check your messages; I sent you a PM regarding this topic."

I auotmatically erase spam PMs from people who are igoring me. So, don't bother sending one.Bye.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"Then why do you lie?"

Huh? I never said I played the full games, dumbass.
I've never said that you did, stoopid.

"That's understandable. Peer pressure, weak-minded individual... lol"

Eh. I didn't buy them. Seems your peer pressure failed in the end.
You would have if you were old enough to have a credit card :p

"Goes without saying. You can't miss an opportunity to spam another forum"

Since when did less than 50 posts become spam? R00fles!
Holy Mother of God!!! You made 49 posts about a demo? You should seek professional help. lol

Bottom line, Troika did NOT create FO. You repeatedly saying they did does NOT make it true.
I did not say that, so what's with all the desperate bullshit? You argue like a girl, have anyone told you that? Anyway, I said that Troika's founders have created the setting, among other Fallout things. Once again, people create, companies own.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I've never said that you did, stoopid."

Then why did you say I lied, moron?

"You would have if you were old enough to have a credit card :p"

Nah. the problem was I was old enough to realize that credit cards suck and they just let others legally steal money you don't even have! I'll pass.

"Holy Mother of God!!! You made 49 posts about a demo? You should seek professional help. lol"

Unholy Father of Satan!!! You know for a fact I had 49 posts? R00fles! Actually, most of posts were off topic discussing topics like the war. R00fles!

And, once again, Interplay employees created Fallout which means Interplay created Fallout. Period. Not the end of the discussion though.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Balor said:
And for classless, skill-based system - well, it's my dream too. While Fallout was great RP-wise, it's levels and skills, taken from GURPs, were a disappointment for me. After all, the classic question - how can I get to shoot 2x better after fetching some kind of vertiberd plans, or get my speechcraft up by stealing a lot of goods from one person in a row? Anyway, the very idea of experience (onless we are talking of it's implementation in E5 :)) - is flawed. It's strained and unrealistic. Well, I may not like plot and quests in MW, but I do like it's skill system - and btw, I've already made it fully levelles (only skill based) with a customly written mod. :) Too bad I'll never actually get to play it :).

Having your firearms skills go up when you level up because you did some fetching or talking quests is far superior to systems where skill improvement goes up with use. There's a number of reasons why. The first and most obvious is that you can't set a weight down on a key, go have dinner, and come back to a super high running skill.

The second being situations where it's rare to use a skill but very, very useful to have that skill. This creates problems for both game mechanics as well as level design. It also tends to enforce a linear progression. How many times do you think a player will have tried to fix a radio or pick a lock up to that point to where he'd be good enough to pick the lock in the area you're designing? That's a tough question to answer in an open ended CRPG where the player is free to basically go where they want to go.

Thirdly, Volourn is a moron. If you reply to a post of his more than once a day in any thread on any forum, you're also a moron. A good rule of thumb is reply to him only once a week, and the word, "fag" should be used in that reply once per month.

The last being that depending on how abstract the skill system, what you're doing to alter a skill might not be producing the effect the player is expecting. You might expect jumping around to improve stamina, but improves acrobatics instead or vice versa. Unless you have a totally simplified and streamlined skill system like Dungeon Siege, which SUCKED because it was so simplified, you're likely to run in to this problem. Noncombat skills are likely to suffer from this more than combat oriented ones.

PS. NOT ALL OF THE ABOVE POINTS IS DIRECTED TO BALOR.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Thirdly, Volourn is a moron. If you reply to a post of his more than once a day in any thread on any forum, you're also a moron. A good rule of thumb is reply to him only once a week, and the word, "fag" should be used in that reply once per month."

Get get all mad at me and start crying just because Interplay created Fallout and you are acted like a jilted ex lover who got betrayed.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
Thirdly, Volourn is a moron. If you reply to a post of his more than once a day in any thread on any forum, you're also a moron.

PS. NOT ALL OF THE ABOVE POINTS IS DIRECTED TO BALOR.
lol. Well, if your lazy ass were participating in discussions more often, then I wouldn't have to argue with Volourn all day long and, thus, wouldn't become a moron. I blame YOU for my condition! :lol:

Volourn said:
"I've never said that you did, stoopid."

Then why did you say I lied, moron?
Because you described the SW games incorrectly, dumbo.

"You would have if you were old enough to have a credit card :p"

Nah. the problem was I was old enough to realize that credit cards suck and they just let others legally steal money you don't even have! I'll pass.
Where do you come up with this stuff? You know you really shouldn't take financial advices from local alcoholics and conspiracy theorists.

"Holy Mother of God!!! You made 49 posts about a demo? You should seek professional help. lol"

Unholy Father of Satan!!! You know for a fact I had 49 posts? R00fles! Actually, most of posts were off topic discussing topics like the war. R00fles!
Well, you said less than 50, I took a guess... Anyway, don't you have enough forums, you are already a member of, to discuss various things (I mean, piss people off with your "superiar" debate techniques). I guess whenever you see an unpoluted forum you start drooling uncontrollably until you register and make at least one R00fles post :lol:

And, once again, Interplay employees created Fallout which means Interplay created Fallout. Period.
And because these employees were all citizens of the United States, it means that US have created Fallout and Clinton was the project manager. Do you see how stupid your logic is? Nothing left to say, but R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Because you described the SW games incorrectly, dumbo."

I see. The demos aren't a demonstration of the actual SW. I get what you are saying, retardo.

"Where do you come up with this stuff?"

The Facts only.

"Well, you said less than 50, I took a guess... Anyway, don't you have enough forums, you are already a member of, to discuss various things (I mean, piss people off with your "superiar" debate techniques). I guess whenever you see an unpoluted forum you start drooling uncontrollably until you register and make at least one R00fles post"

Nah. if I just wanted to post on unpplluted forums; I'd never would have registered here since 'Codex was polluted long before I started.

"And because these employees were all citizens of the United States, it means that US have created Fallout and Clinton was the project manager. Do you see how stupid your logic is? Nothing left to say, but R00fles!"

The US doesn't own FO. It didn't pay the employees. Without Interplay; there'd be no FO. We can't say the same in regards to the US. Bottom line, Interplay created FO. Then again, I guess when Gaider and his fellow weenies leaves Bioware, you'll be saying that Bio didn't create the BIO games. R00fles!

Not to mention, your logic even when using your logic sucks. Afterall, the so called creators of Fallout are spread out amongst 3 different companies - Troika, Obsidian, and Exile - yet, you and your fellow idiots seem to only weant to give credit to Troika. What a bunch of maroons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom