Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demons Souls looks interesting...

Black

Arcane
Morgoth said:
Looks like your average medieval hack & slasher. Why would I get excited about such shit?
Because it's on console(s)
Yeah, I don't know how does it work either.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Morgoth said:
Looks like your average medieval hack & slasher. Why would I get excited about such shit?

Dare you to try and play this game like a H&S. You'll be minced into meat quite fast.

Fat Dragon said:
What's the multiplay like?

Goes from fun to annoying every now and then.

When you are alive you can summon Phantoms (players) to come and help you. If you succeed in beating a boss, that phantom regains his body back. However, you can also be invaded by Black Phantoms (other players as well) who will attempt to murder you and snatch your body.

When you are dead, you can attempt to invade other peoples' games as a Black Phantom or help them as a Phantom.

If you are alive you have 100% HP, but when you are dead you only have 50% of your HP (75% with a ring), but you do slightly more damage and you are more stealthy.

Players will always be at a huge disadvantage against Black Phantoms because enemies won't bother them, so they can equip themselves specifically for PvP. Also, only one Black Phantom can invade you at a time, but there is no limit to how many can invade you during your game run. I got invaded like 7 times in a row once. Gets rather annoying after a while when you just want to progress.

Luzur

Good Sir
Fat Dragon said:
Sounds like a pain in the ass, can't you just disable that feature?

my guess is "no" since its all about multiplaying.

i had in mind to buy a cheap ps3 and this game since my pal is always on me to do it so we can play together, but the more i hear the less i feel like doing it.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
If you could stomach Diablo, you'll enjoy this. This is somewhat of an 'adult' Diablo where dying has consequences. It's a hack and slasher with surprisingly tactical combat. Yes, it's twitchy, but it's NOT a button masher. Your enemies are varied, and you have to approach each battle differently. The controls are tight, the upgrade and weapons system is fun, and improving your character/advancing the game are satisfying. In my opinion the best Action RPG yet made.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
Sounds like a pain in the ass, can't you just disable that feature?

Pull the internet cable out of your PS3.

Edit: Personally I like playing offline mode more. It just feels a whole lot gloomier when you know that you are completely alone. You really do take comfort in those little ghosts you see, and the blood stains and messages left behind by other players.
Without them, the game is a far more claustrophobic experience. At least that's how it is for me. And I'm not really big into PvP. I only did it a few times to get this wacky hat I wanted.

Castanova

Prophet
Sticking with this thread due to grandfathering...

Picked up the game last night and played for about 2.5 hours. I picked the Royalty class and it must be some sort of "easy mode" because I went around and one/two-shotted every single enemy in 1-1 except for those Blue-Eye Knights who block with their shield. Only died once (stupid dragon roasted me on the bridge) and quickly went back and recovered all my souls. Stopped playing just before the first boss.

My friend had a vastly different experience. He went with the Thief class and has been getting slaughtered. He died on numerous occasions (one time twice in a row so he lost all his experience) and he still hasn't really figured out how to avoid getting hit when fighting two enemies at once.

Great game so far. Definitely itching to get home from work and play more.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Yeah, apparently the Royal is the easiest class at least in the first half of the game. Other classes become more powerfull later on I believe.

That's just what I've picked up reading up on the game around the net. Still waiting for my copy to arrive from Hong Kong :cry:

Oarfish

Prophet
. I picked the Royalty class and it must be some sort of "easy mode"

Yeah, Royal is easy mode. You have crap starting stats and great kit. That ring of warmth costs 60K souls..

Thief is the most fun class to play, its meant to be difficult but I find it harder as a tank class. Its easy and fun to cheese some of the bosses using ranged attacks and much much harder to deal with them if you are a pure fighter.

I've been playing it on and off for months and still haven't got much further than 50% in. Its fucking hard.

except for those Blue-Eye Knights

You can one shot them if you make a parry. Its risky though. And DONT fuck with the red eyed knight unless you are setting him up for death by cheese.

Castanova

Prophet
Oarfish said:
Thief is the most fun class to play, its meant to be difficult but I find it harder as a tank class. Its easy and fun to cheese some of the bosses using ranged attacks and much much harder to deal with them if you are a pure fighter.

Do you have any advice for my friend for engaging multiple opponents at once using the Thief? He can do the whole dance thing 1 on 1 but when he's outnumbered he gets raped.

Oarfish said:
You can one shot them if you make a parry. Its risky though. And DONT fuck with the red eyed knight unless you are setting him up for death by cheese.

Well, I wasn't engaging them or anyone else in melee anyway. I just spammed that soul spell at them until they died - usually 4 or 5 shots depending on their blocking luck.

Mogar

Scholar
Looks like a pretty cool game. I like its art direction and its environments, even if its medieval European fantasy, and the enemies look as impressive as any RPG from Japan. The difficulty also looks to be refreshing. One question though, why all the love? I thought the codex would hate this game, it technically being a console JRPG after all.

Silellak

Cipher
Castanova said:
Eh, I don't think it's a JRPG at all. Unless I'm mistaken, JRPG refers to a style of game, not that it's just an RPG from Japan.

This. There's nothing "JRPG" about this game besides its country of origin.

Of course, Valkyria Chronicles is a very JRPG-y strategy RPG, and still gets a decent amount of Codex love, so I guess it's just that :decline: everyone's been talking about.

Mogar

Scholar
Castanova said:
There's nothing "JRPG" about this game besides its country of origin.

So its a Japanese WRPG, kinda like how some consider Planescape to be a Western JRPG. Its all semantics though, so I guess it doesn't matter. It does prove that Japanese developers can make good RPGs, so long as they aren't copying Atlus' or Square's formula.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mogar said:
Castanova said:
There's nothing "JRPG" about this game besides its country of origin.

So its a Japanese WRPG, kinda like how some consider Planescape to be a Western JRPG. Its all semantics though, so I guess it doesn't matter. It does prove that Japanese developers can make good RPGs, so long as they aren't copying Atlus' or Square's formula.

Yeah, I had this argument on another forum.

JRPG no longer just means "Japanees Role Playing Game", or "RPG made in Japan". It refers to a specific genre - exemplified mainly by the Final Fantasy series.

For example, the 1999 game "Septerra Core" is a JRPG developed in the U.S.

Conversley, Demon's Souls is a Western RPG (Hack 'n Slash), developed in Japan.

Just compare the vids and screenshots of this game to say FFXII, tells you all you need to know really
:D

Xi

Arcane
So is the Character development an all paths lead to the same point, or do classes actually offer unique gameplay?

Sisay

Liturgist
Severance Blade of Darkness (and to a lesser extent, Die by the Sword) also gets love from the Kodex. I don't see how Demon's Souls is all that different. Just wish it'd get an Euro release for us commies.

Sisay said:
Severance Blade of Darkness (and to a lesser extent, Die by the Sword) also gets love from the Kodex. I don't see how Demon's Souls is all that different. Just wish it'd get an Euro release for us commies.

Just pony up $20 extra for an import. Chinese/Korean/USA version have full English.

Oarfish

Prophet
Do you have any advice for my friend for engaging multiple opponents at once using the Thief?

Unless you switch to a slashing weapon then your crowd control is going to be pretty poor, especially when you don't have room to move into position for backstabs. Get a scimitar or shortsword for use on levels where you are not going to be able to use your agility to its full.

So is the Character development an all paths lead to the same point, or do classes actually offer unique gameplay?

Pure fighters are rare in the mid - late game, and you need to be able to melee even as a mage - you just don't have enough mana early on and it doesn't recover without consumables.

That said, mage /thief and fighter do play differently, mainly due to the encumbrance issues of fighting in heavy armour. There's no rolling about for backstabs playing a knight, you will have to fight toe to toe.

Xi

Arcane
Morgoth said:

Sounds like you're judging the book by its cover. Sound method of knowing what to avoid, amirite?

Castanova

Prophet
Oarfish said:
Unless you switch to a slashing weapon then your crowd control is going to be pretty poor, especially when you don't have room to move into position for backstabs.

Interesting. I've just gone through 1-2 and beaten the Tower Knight with my Royalty... relying entirely on magic so far but I have the Winged Spear equipped just in case. Seems great for a magic user since I can attack with my shield up. I wonder if I'll get into any situations where I need a sword though.

Continues to be great so far. Very hard to resist the urge to constantly check for information on the internet though. The fear of death in this game is so palpable. I didn't look anything up for 1-2, though, except for a hint on the boss fight. Felt guilty even about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom