Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torchlight is Out

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Torchlight; Travis Baldree

<b>Torchlight</b>, the action RPG better known as "That Game from the Fate Guys, Not the Hellgate One, the Other One That Didn't Get Cancelled", is now available for purchasing from the <a href="http://www.torchlightgame.com/" target="blank">official site</a> and <a href="http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TL/torchlight" target="blank">Gamers Gate</a>. To find out what your twenty bucks might get you, have a look at this <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4173/working_by_torchlight.php" target="blank">recent Gamasutra interview</a> or enjoy a <a href="http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Into-the-Depths-of-Torchlight" target="blank">taste of Rex:</a>
<br>
<blockquote>We followed the trail of corpses and Brink's bloody footsteps, and descended into the mine. The stench of death took on a dusty, yet somewhat spicy odor. It was a smell with which I was familiar - that of Ember. Yet despite its familiar scent, the melange had a strange quality to it and inhaling it seemed to have an effect on me that I find difficult to describe. It felt pervasive, as if something was watching over my shoulder. The smell itself was stronger, and sweeter than the samples I was used to working with.</blockquote>

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
St. Toxic said:
DarkUnderlord said:
OH GOD THEY'VE INVENTED SMELL-A-VISION

Wasn't that already available in some of the old Sierra adventure games?

Yeah! There was a small card in the first Larry game with different odors

Jinsai

Novice
It's Diablo

Well, anyhow. The game? It's Diablo. In 3D. For $20.

Given that I spend that much in 2 days for lunch, I figured it's a good buy. Fun so far (level 18?), and at least it runs (unlike Borderlands, which is a different rant entirely).

Graphics are of the cartoony/Dungeon Runners/WOW variety rather than Blizzard's rather gruesome pseudo-real stuff in D2. There are worse things you could spend $20 on.

A few "innovations", like a pet. But most of it is straight outta D2 - sockets, gems, transmutation, pygmies, town portals, etc. "Stay a while and listen" has been replaced with a Mike Myers-esque "It's NOT a skirt"

Vortexx

Novice
This game is almost exactly like Fate: The Traitor Soul. If you have played that, you have played Torchlight.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Re: It's Diablo

Jinsai said:
Well, anyhow. The game? It's Diablo. In 3D. For $20.

Given that I spend that much in 2 days for lunch, I figured it's a good buy. Fun so far (level 18?), and at least it runs (unlike Borderlands, which is a different rant entirely).

Graphics are of the cartoony/Dungeon Runners/WOW variety rather than Blizzard's rather gruesome pseudo-real stuff in D2. There are worse things you could spend $20 on.

A few "innovations", like a pet. But most of it is straight outta D2 - sockets, gems, transmutation, pygmies, town portals, etc. "Stay a while and listen" has been replaced with a Mike Myers-esque "It's NOT a skirt"

That sums up my feelings as well. It a fun time waster. Worth the 20$.

Multi-headed Cow

THIS IS THE GREATEST GAME BROS IT'S A PC GAME ONLY $20 IT IS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ALL THE WAY NONE OF THAT RETARD CONSOLEFAG SHIT IT WILL hAVE MODS LATER SO YOU CAN GET MORE PC THINGS LIKE DOOM GUY MAYBE??? I DUNNO BUT ITS PRETTY COOL I RECOMMEND IT BROS

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
for kids

Childish game better play borderlands or whatever cause this kind of games has been made in the past i like random but not like in this game to much random and 1 more think there are 3 classes and total active skill are like 10 it makes u think that are more but they arent its like playing beyond divinity wth boring.

Re: for kids

godsend1989 said:
Childish game better play borderlands or whatever cause this kind of games has been made in the past i like random but not like in this game to much random and 1 more think there are 3 classes and total active skill are like 10 it makes u think that are more but they arent its like playing beyond divinity wth boring.

You're an idiot. That's a statement in regards to your lack of punctuation and grammar.

You're an idiot. That's a statement in regards to your point. Don't confuse childish for simple. Simple is fine as long as simple is the goal. Torchlight is exactly what it is supposed to be.

circ

Arcane
Torchlight is like Fate from what I can gather, boring with 0 variety. Same fed-ex quests ad infinitum. We're still using the 'exactly what it's supposed to be' excuse to defend mediocrity? Really? You can gush all you want about Torchlight, but expect some people likewise not to.

I'm not gushing, and I'm not claiming it's a great game. It's a good timesink though. I don't know what else is expected from diablo clones. It has a ton of loot and a ton of enemies coming at you at once, with controls that are fairly smooth. What else is there?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I wonder what Diablo III could do to make you want to play it as much as I did the first? I feel all ARPG'ed out. I'm still saying they should make a Diablo III total conversion with Torchlight editor, just to see if Blizzard changes their game for the better.

flushfire

Augur
a plus is that the game is pretty stable and light on the hardware.. well thats my experience running it at least. okay time waster imo, esp. at 17 bucks. only downside for me is the lack of multiplayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom