Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Joghurt

Augur
relootz said:
YES, i finally killed the Ogre on hard. Only took me 7 tries.

Great succes!

Hah, It took me about 5-6 tries before I realized that just smashing him and using different spells and talents isn't enough. I got creative and the I killed him without any difficulties. Just weaken him with with melee guys until they get themselves killed. Then use the mage and the rouge with a bow. When that fucker charges at your mage you just have to move your rouge to the center of the room with a bow. Use the mage as a bait and start running around the edges of the room while your rouge shoots him with his bow. After a few laps the ogre realizes that he has to attack the rouge and goes for him. Then you just put the mage in the center of the room and run with your rouge around the room. After a few laps he charges for the mage again so you repeat it all over again. It was pretty funny running around the room but I took him down in the end. It's a shame I didn't count how many laps I did around the room :D

Worm

Liturgist
Jesus guys, kiting is not creative. Kiting is not tactics.

relootz

Scholar
Azrael the cat said:
relootz said:

Great succes!

I'm also playing on hard, and no offence, but...

... the Ogre has almost all melee attacks, except for 1 quite unthreatening rock-throw that he uses rarely. He moves at normal pace and has no helpers. How did you not just kite him to death (you know, have whichever character he's attacking run in circles while the others pwn him) on the first try? It's a pretty obvious means of easily defeating any solo melee opponent of normal speed. I presume that they excpect players to do that, and that's why he's the game's first miniboss.

If they gave him a root/snare attack, or a charge attack to let him close the distance on a kiting player, then it would be a hard fight.

I did that yes and it took a few tries before i took that approach. He also caught my running pc a few times. And running around is stupid as it doesnt constitude of any other tactic then abusing the dumbass AI.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Are you playing console version? That ogre limped around sufficiently slowly only after one of these soldiers has hit him with a pinning shot. After that he tried to catch that soldier and Alistar tried to catch the ogre. They ran around in circles. One of these soldiers was already dead caught by ogre in first few minutes. And yes the ogre has charge attack.

(That sudden time advancement caught by surprise, which means no resupplying.)

Are you playing this on fast computer? Perhaps the AI doesn't have enough cycles to catch, or you are using save and reload (using save and reload and then complaining about difficulty is cheap).

I have already bloodied and hardened accomplishments.

Well, I'm playing on hard and for once I'm prideful to say I have yet to use kiting as a strategy. I have pulled half groups instead of an entire roomful of enemies, but that doesn't seem especially evil. I'm sure the combat can be exploited, but there is strategic depth if you look for it. Fight enemies in narrow hallways to set up a meat shield so your casters can do the damage, etc., blah blah blah. There is depth there. It's not JA2, but it's still much better than I expected.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
I hope you can read this, Silellak, VD and the rest of you moronic gushers. Fuck you. Fuck you with a scary, veiny 30cm long black penis for tricking me into giving DA another go, tricking me into thinking it's anything other than shit, boring and banal. Okay, I have to admit that the king getting his ass kicked was a nice twist, and I do like where the story seems to be going, but why the hell didn't you cunts warn me about companions?

They are awful, probably the worst Bio's ever done. When the tits witch and Carth start clashing wits I get an urge to kill someone. How can anyone fail at humor this much? And there isn't anything you can do about the unlikable idiots because the game is balanced for a party of four.

Uninstalled, this time for good. Now I'll finally be doing something productive: working on the Sengoku Rance LP and finishing my Mentor playthrough of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So much fail...

Hümmelgümpf said:
I hope you can read this, Silellak, VD and the rest of you moronic gushers. Fuck you. Fuck you with a scary, veiny 30cm long black penis for tricking me into giving DA another go, tricking me into thinking it's anything other than shit, boring and banal.
I said that it's an enjoyable game and outlined the good and the bad sides. Apparently, anything that doesn't say "banal, shit, boring" is moronic gushing. Good to know.

Okay, I have to admit that the king getting his ass kicked was a nice twist, and I do like where the story seems to be going, but why the hell didn't you cunts warn me about companions?
Good one, Humps. So, even though you like the story and the plot, and even though the game has multiple quest solutions and choices & consequences, you've managed to summon enough hate into your heart to focus on the fact that the first two party members failed to meet your high standards, which means that the game is utter shit that must be uninstalled immediately.

They are awful, probably the worst Bio's ever done.
If you say so.

And there isn't anything you can do about the unlikable idiots because the game is balanced for a party of four.
The game is balanced for a party of four? What happened to "the game is too easy"?

Hümmelgümpf said:
Now I'll finally be doing something productive: working on the Sengoku Rance LP and finishing my Mentor playthrough of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

pyrrhic victory

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
relootz said:

Great succes!

That's definately one of the things I'm really enjoying, employing different tactics to eventually win really tough battles and the satisfaction that comes with it. As I said, some of the fights on hard are really brutal so I can't imagine what nightmare is like.

It feels like every single fight is one of those tough encounters you had in BG 2 (seriously I think my F9 key might jam sometime soon). Loving this game right now, specially the combat, forces you to stay aware at all times and to think criatively sometimes. Playing a xenophobic dalish reaver, kicking ass and taking names with morrigan, herpaderp dog (gonna switch for the gay elf later), and the foreigner dude (wish I could bring Shale instead of him but it seems the pirated DLC is only working for items right now)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
gayze i killed the ogre on my first try on hard with mah dual weilding mofo that is p. great!!!!!!

that is p. great!!!!!!

Multi-headed Cow

I'm back in Orzammar with my dwarf noble. Of course, almost everyone hates me for killing my brother, being exiled, and causing a big shitstorm when I left. Just bumped into the dwarf whore I fucked during the origin, and she's cursing me because she had my son which means she and her son are casteless since I was taken out of the records when I was exiled.

CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Just bumped into the dwarf whore I fucked during the origin, and she's cursing me because she had my son which means she and her son are casteless since I was taken out of the records when I was exiled."

HAHAHA! I turned them bitches down. Damn sluts, and theyw erne't even coy about it.

"I WNAT TO FUCK YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE PRINCE!"

I wonder what her reaction to me will be when I go back. HAHA!

Multi-headed Cow

Might not even see her. I actually went for the threesome the first time I played before I fucked my save, only went for one the second time. I kinda wanna know the results of choosing the other one or going for the threesome.

Also bumped into the scribe's apprentice, and since I was nice to him he's recording the events of my exile in a more favorable light. I'm not sure if that's just flavor C&C or if it will come into play once I start doing dwarf politics.

Wonder if the other origins get as much C&C as this.

Is there any way to make your party move faster? I tire of looking at the slow-ass jogging. I get it, this is an RPG and supposed to be realistic and make you immerse yourself in the slow, tired movement, now can I get some boots of quadruple speed?

Not that that I know of.

Got meself some good laughs from the "female" prostitue scene in Denerim, best sex scene so far.

Worm

Liturgist
I gotta just say, the fucking Spider Queen fight in the dwarf places blows.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
I said that it's an enjoyable game and outlined the good and the bad sides. Apparently, anything that doesn't say "banal, shit, boring" is moronic gushing. Good to know.
If a game has enough subpar content to kill my desire to finish it, it's shit. Simple as that. Don't get me wrong, DA isn't a game that doesn't have any redeeming qualities whatsoever, but I'm not sure if they're worth sitting through hours upon hours of Bio's trademark party banter fully voiced by professional actors. Actors who were drugged with sedatives, so they wouldn't run away, judging by their enthusiasm.
Good one, Humps. So, even though you like the story and the plot, and even though the game has multiple quest solutions and choices & consequences, you've managed to summon enough hate into your heart to focus on the fact that the first two party members failed to meet your high standards, which means that the game is utter shit that must be uninstalled immediately.
First five companions. I've also met Canderous and Imoen d'Arc (now wiz e seksy fhench aksent!) who didn't do much to improve my impression of the game. The dog was nice, though, because it didn't fucking talk. I don't suppose DA also has a spellcasting dog and a backstabbing, lock-picking dog?
If you say so.
I do.
The game is balanced for a party of four? What happened to "the game is too easy"?
I think you're confusing me with someone. I never bashed the DA combat for being too easy.

Worm

Liturgist
Hümmelgümpf said:
The dog was nice, though, because it didn't fucking talk.
That dog is some of the best RPG character writing in fucking years, hell maybe decades. Don't you forget it.

Worm said:
I gotta just say, the fucking Spider Queen fight in the dwarf places blows.
and the game made it up to me with the brood mother.

made

Arcane
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Is there any way to make your party move faster? I tire of looking at the slow-ass jogging. I get it, this is an RPG and supposed to be realistic and make you immerse yourself in the slow, tired movement, now can I get some boots of quadruple speed?

There's a haste spell in the Creation tree. Not sure how useful it is, haven't tried myself. Run speed doesn't bother me as much as in Risen.

Raghar said:
Are you playing console version? That ogre limped around sufficiently slowly only after one of these soldiers has hit him with a pinning shot. After that he tried to catch that soldier and Alistar tried to catch the ogre. They ran around in circles. One of these soldiers was already dead caught by ogre in first few minutes. And yes the ogre has charge attack.

(That sudden time advancement caught by surprise, which means no resupplying.)

Are you playing this on fast computer? Perhaps the AI doesn't have enough cycles to catch, or you are using save and reload (using save and reload and then complaining about difficulty is cheap).

I have already bloodied and hardened accomplishments.

Have a decent quad-core computer and a GTX250 graphics card, so I don't think that's a problem. And I was playing PC, as I don't own a console. I did, however, constantly spam every stun and slow attack/ability that I had, and yes the ogre still got a couple of hits in. But that's still all very intuitive given any fight against a solo strength-based opponent in pretty much any rpg system. The designers certainly anticipated that tactic, because later they give some of the tougher opponents abilities to counter it (the revenant's pull ability). I didn't notice whether the Ogre had charge attacks/snares - if he did then on hard he either doesn't have sufficient stamina to keep using them, or doesn't use them often/intelligently enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom