Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher 2 'breakthrough RPG like Fallout 3'

Lesifoere

Liturgist
BlitzKitchen said:
also, I'm pretty sure Thais are dumber than Americans :)

I am, however, not half as dumb as you. :) Not to mention we aren't anywhere near as obese. Oh, having a culture helps, too.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Brother None said:
BlitzKitchen said:
Foreign products usually do better in America than domestic ones)

What?

I assume you're thinking electronics. The same does not apply to entertainment products, whether it be books, films, music or games, domestic dominates in the entertainment industry.

100% true. I cant even find electronic equipment made in the USA. Have to buy Japanese mostly.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
And cars, possibly. But the entertainment industry, pretty much a definitive no: not films, not music, not fiction, and certainly not games. Unless you count those faggy JRPGs and anime, but then you've got lots of weeaboo running around.

aboyd

Liturgist
Lesifoere said:
Ausir said:
Only a small fraction of the 1 million sales were in NA.
Ahhh, thanks for vindicating my impression that the majority of Americans are xenophobic drooling cretins, then.
I know we're all just being bashers at this point, and that's good fun. However, I would note that TW had lots of translation problems. It's difficult to fault an audience -- of any country -- for preferring products with well-done writing over an imported product with a shoddy translation.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm. Nothing suggests dumbing down, yet. I'm skeptic about the promise of non-linearity however. If done wrong it will just make an Oblivion version of #1.

But all in all, color me excited.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
You can't lump everything in the entertainment industry together.

You've got plenty of big boys in the UK, Canada and other western countries competing in American video game markets. Obviously, Eastern European publishers are not going to do as well because they operate on lower budgets, have less of a sphere of influence, and thus have no means of popularizing their games.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
aboyd said:
Lesifoere said:
Ausir said:
Only a small fraction of the 1 million sales were in NA.
Ahhh, thanks for vindicating my impression that the majority of Americans are xenophobic drooling cretins, then.
I know we're all just being bashers at this point, and that's good fun. However, I would note that TW had lots of translation problems. It's difficult to fault an audience -- of any country -- for preferring products with well-done writing over an imported product with a shoddy translation.

Sure, and I won't fault anyone for not wanting to try Pathologic due to translation problems, but TW wasn't at that level of unreadability. Besides, that doesn't explain--and yes, I'm abusing the weeaboo card, sorry--the popularity of faggy JRPGs which do have horrible translations. See: FF7.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Another conclusion I would like to make is The Witcher would have done better if it were an RPG as opposed to a MSG (Mailman Simulation Game).

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Still, with all its flaws - and there are plenty of them - TW has quite a few memorable scenes (which also at least in Polish are very well written) with no direct equivalents in other RPGs; like e.g. Leuvaarden's party in Act III. There a few places which shine with true brilliance, and I prefer a flawed game with moments of genius to an "average" experience.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
TW EE I played through a few times. TW 2 sounds/looks even better so far. Wonder what rig is necessary to run it at max settings though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
TW sucked. TW2 will suck worse. I'm proud they have eprfected the art of hype though. They have learned well from their big brothers at BIO. :cool:

denizsi

Arcane
They have yet to show the PC banging an NPC in trailers, though. Or blackouts where everyone's dead on the floor when it's over.

Alex

Arcane
Brother None said:
Matt7895 said:
. But the first Witcher was a great game, so I'm remaining optimistic about the sequel.

Be aware that quite a few of the people who worked on TW are not there anymore to work on TW2.

Sorry, but could you expand on this? What happened?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Alex said:
Brother None said:
Matt7895 said:
. But the first Witcher was a great game, so I'm remaining optimistic about the sequel.

Be aware that quite a few of the people who worked on TW are not there anymore to work on TW2.

Sorry, but could you expand on this? What happened?

Quite a few people got fired from CDP back when it was in serious financial shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^'tis true.

Though it should be noted that of 20%, many were new people who were hired to work on Rise of the White Wolf.

yarpen

Novice
Elwro said:
Well, for starters, the Lead Designer left. (And that's really "for starters" as, iirc, more than 20% of the team was laid off.)
OK, let's clear this up a little bit. Michal was an important member of TW1 team, but it's not like he designed the whole game by himself. He was more responsible for laying basic outlines, he didn't participate in implementation and most of the low-level stuff/story/mechanics has been created/finetuned by other guys. To this day I'm not sure if he left or was let go, but at the last stage of the project he was mostly dealing with PR.
It's hard to define 'original team'. If by that you mean people who were there were project started, then there are not that many of them left (then again, it was about 15 of us when we started). Still about 80% of folks who were there when we released it still works in CDPR, though.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I hope the person (people) responsible for the brilliant parts in the Polish dialogue is (are) still around.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I though there was only one guy responsible for writing dialogues?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As long as TW2 provides us with great quotes that can be used in the everyday life, I'll be happy to buy it.

"I piss on your juvenile scorn" never gets old.

Deleted member 7219

Brother None said:
Matt7895 said:

Where did they go?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom