Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

giving away 3 free copies of Planescape: Torment

aboyd

Liturgist
To celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Planescape: Torment video game, I'm giving away 3 free copies on the 12th (well 2 on the 12th, 1 on the 13th for latecomers). It's just to raise a little visibility for Platter's Planescape pages, a fan site made by Platter years ago, and then rescued by me when he abandoned it. So if you've never played the game and would like to see about getting a free copy, the giveaway is here:

Planescape: Torment Fix Pack

However, the giveaway form will only be there through the 13th, Pacific Time.

It's a good game. I really hope that people who would be interested in playing a very talky, almost "adventure game" RPG will stop by. I'd hate to give away the copies to people who have no liking for the game.

Also, if anyone could let me know... does Platter's old fix pack have any place in the game anymore? Have newer fix packs from other people replaced it entirely? If so, I'd like to add some advice to Platter's pages, which would just walk someone through the correct procedure to get a fully fixed version of Planescape. Would someone let me know? Thanks.

Jaqen

Novice
dx__ said:
Also - really awesome way to help people remember this great game.

I agree, well done - that's a nice gesture.

I have to ask though, why are you committed to working with platters work?
From my understanding Platter abandoned his, most excellent, work a long time back and was not herd from again?

Qwinn heavily expanded and worked with the foundations Platter set with Planescape. Surely if you wanted to contribute to the improvement of Torment you would be best to work with him and the rest of the community on the SHS forum?

I may of got the 'wrong-end-of-the-stick' here but are you thinking of making your own fix pack?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I obtained it without removing anything from inventory but there's something to be said for having a physical copy.

aboyd

Liturgist
Jaqen said:
Qwinn heavily expanded and worked with the foundations Platter set with Planescape. Surely if you wanted to contribute to the improvement of Torment you would be best to work with him and the rest of the community on the SHS forum?

I may of got the 'wrong-end-of-the-stick' here but are you thinking of making your own fix pack?
I wouldn't even know how to make a fix pack. I wasn't committed to working with Platter because of the fix pack -- I'm even OK to remove his download and put up some text explaining to people about better options. However, Platter's site did more than just offer a fix pack. His "miscellaneous crap" section brought together lots of unofficial cool stuff. And he got a full copy of the official site before it went down. So I like all that stuff. Reading the developer journals and getting the official mods (like the one that turns Annah into a leprechaun) was always fun for me.

So that's why I like Platter's site and that's why I preserved it. Oh, and all the tattoos too.

Jaqen

Novice
Ahh I see. I was not flaming you at all though and I apologize if it seemed that way. It was in fact, quite the opposite. I'm always keen to hear about 'behind the scene' and WIP on Planescape so your commitment is excellent.

Out of curiosity, do you have any communication with Platter now? Do you know what became of him?

Stalin

Scholar
Jaqen said:
Ahh I see. I was not flaming you at all though and I apologize if it seemed that way. It was in fact, quite the opposite. I'm always keen to hear about 'behind the scene' and WIP on Planescape so your commitment is excellent.

Out of curiosity, do you have any communication with Platter now? Do you know what became of him?
*cough* *Cough* BLOWJOB *COUGH* *cough*

aboyd

Liturgist
Jaqen said:
Nope, no idea. Heard he gave his blessing to someone else who had made a copy of his site, though. But then that copy went down.

Anyway, thanks all for all the entries. You guys (or whoever it is that entered the giveaway) have been writing some pretty cool messages -- obscure quotes from the game and stuff like that. I've had about 40 entries so far, which feels like a lot, but really that's decent odds of winning.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That's a great gesture, aboyd. Stop by the Spellhold Studios, to check out the recent add-ons for Planescape Torment. Qwinn's fixpack is actually based on Platter's.

aboyd said:
Also, if anyone could let me know... does Platter's old fix pack have any place in the game anymore? Have newer fix packs from other people replaced it entirely? If so, I'd like to add some advice to Platter's pages, which would just walk someone through the correct procedure to get a fully fixed version of Planescape. Would someone let me know? Thanks.

As I said Platter's patch is now pretty much obsolete, since it's included in Qwinn's fixpack and the fixpack fixes a lot more things. For a comprehensive installation guide of mods look here

Catalina

Scholar
Wow, son of a bitch. I didn't realize it'd been 10 years, and that PS:T was on the main page of Wikipedia. Thanks for the heads up on the contest, I've entered.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
aboyd said:
To celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Planescape: Torment video game, I'm giving away 3 free copies on the 12th (well 2 on the 12th, 1 on the 13th for latecomers). It's just to raise a little visibility for Platter's Planescape pages, a fan site made by Platter years ago, and then rescued by me when he abandoned it. So if you've never played the game and would like to see about getting a free copy, the giveaway is here:

Planescape: Torment Fix Pack

However, the giveaway form will only be there through the 13th, Pacific Time.

It's a good game. I really hope that people who would be interested in playing a very talky, almost "adventure game" RPG will stop by. I'd hate to give away the copies to people who have no liking for the game.

Yes the old platter fixes have been completly replaced by Qwinn's patches.

Qwinn.

(couldn't resist)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
aboyd said:
Jaqen said:
Nope, no idea. Heard he gave his blessing to someone else who had made a copy of his site, though. But then that copy went down.

Anyway, thanks all for all the entries. You guys (or whoever it is that entered the giveaway) have been writing some pretty cool messages -- obscure quotes from the game and stuff like that. I've had about 40 entries so far, which feels like a lot, but really that's decent odds of winning.

:TearOfAnEagle: :Salute:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Planescape__Engagement_by_Rzepik.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
I just found out today that I also have a spare copy of Torment, the split Digipack with Soulbringer. If anyone's interested, let me know. It should reach most of Europe in about a week. I don't know about overseas, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom