Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Вперёд, Краснофлотцы! Let's Anticipate Current Events with Jugashvili

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Naval_Ensign_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg

Вперёд, Краснофлотцы!

A Men of War LP in Glorious Jugashvision

Contents

Introduction: They Fired on Odessa

Chapter 1: Nocturnal Moles

Chapter 2: Remove Mititei from the Premises!

Chapter 3: Derp from Above

Introduction: They Fired on Odessa

September 21, 1941 2200 hours.

DySE0AX.jpg
Ah! Admiral Oktyabrskiy. Come in, come in.

eeDCLhw.jpg
I came as soon as you summoned me, Comrade General Secretary. What do you need?

DySE0AX.jpg
No doubt you have heard that elements of the Romanian 4th army have set up long-range batteries near Grigorievka and have already opened fire on Odessa.

eeDCLhw.jpg
Yes, Comrade. It has been arranged that the 426th infantry division will strike east, whilst the 3rd Regiment of Sailors of the Black Sea Fleet will land behind enemy lines, attacking the Romanian 9th Cavalry division and 15th infantry.

DySE0AX.jpg
Good. In that case, I will lead the men personally!

eeDCLhw.jpg
P...personally? But Comrade, why put yourself in danger when you must consider the welfare of the nation?

DySE0AX.jpg
Not physically in person, of course! I will use helmet cam technology to direct the operations from here.

eeDCLhw.jpg
Helmet cam?

DySE0AX.jpg
Well, if people believe Obama led the SEALS from his office, why is it so unbelievable that I should lead my men at this historic juncture? Have the helmet cams installed.

eeDCLhw.jpg
I would, Comrade, if only I knew what a "helmet cam" is!

DySE0AX.jpg
Oh, right. Then tell the men to put the Red Star badges with the camera lens in the middle on their helmets.

eeDCLhw.jpg
Yes, Comrade.

DySE0AX.jpg
And remember, Filipp Sergeyevich -- there are moles that require popping. Fascists that require unfashing. The situation in the Crimea is grave enough to warrant my undivided attention. Those guns fired on Odessa -- it must never happen again! Dismissed.

eeDCLhw.jpg
I will issue the orders. The landing is scheduled to take place at 0200 hours tomorrow. [leaves]

DySE0AX.jpg
Nazis, in my Crimea? I'll show them...

wb9kzDk.jpg

I will be writing this LP in shorter updates than my HoI3 LP, mainly in the hopes of being able to update it more frequently, relying on short play sessions. Update 1 is almost done and will be published later on. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Chapter 1: Nocturnal Moles

September 22, 0200 hours.

After half an hour of shore bombardment in preparation for the infantry assault, elements of the 3rd Marines from the cruiser Krasnyi Kavkaz begin to land near Grigorievka. Meet our merry band of Mole Poppers as they head towards the shore.

BzTDlys.jpg

NRDkznu.jpg
Hey guise, I heard that German aircraft sunk the FROONZ earlier.

8FXLNKs.jpg
The what?

iVw1XBf.jpg
It's our voice acting getting in the way again. He means Frunze.

8FXLNKs.jpg
Oh, I see.

DySE0AX.jpg
[Through intercom] Are you Comrades ready?

iVw1XBf.jpg
I'm hearing voices again!

DySE0AX.jpg
No you're not, you idiot. I'm talking over the wireless.

iVw1XBf.jpg
I see! But Comrade General Secretary, to what do we owe the honor?

DySE0AX.jpg
Just listen to my instructions. Tonight's mole popping must be absolutely flawless, and I intend to oversee every last detail of the operation.

iVw1XBf.jpg
Yes, Sir!

JO7MJb9.jpg

All in all we have three squads of naval infantry to begin the scenario with. They lack heavy weapons of any description and are armed with a mix of submachine guns, rifles, light machine guns and a flamethrower or two.

6acxvQA.jpg

Up ahead are a number of Romanian trenches that are being ineffectually assaulted by naval infantry, despite the ongoing shore bombardment. The trench directly ahead of us has two heavy machineguns and is supported by two mortar teams in the rear.

H8JW72A.jpg

We spread our mole poppers into three groups, two of which will lay down suppressive fire whilst the third group, on the left, will sneak around the unguarded flank.

1LOcy24.jpg

Leaping from the bushes, our men rush the flank of the trench with grenades and submachine guns, silencing the first machinegun nest!

WYmxap6.jpg

bSPtD97.jpg

With the advantage of enfilade fire, mopping up the remaining Romanians in the trench becomes a trivial matter.

upBcORr.jpg

Nevertheless, their mortar teams in the rear remain. Whilst two of our squads man the trenches, a third squad advances to silence the enemy mortars.

ka8JTRj.jpg

(Romanian fascist troops manning a Stokes-Brand 60mm mortar. Note the silly helmets)

8aHHV8T.jpg

With the defenders down, the prize is two Stokes Brandt 60mm mortars.

J369pW7.jpg

With the trench cleared, two additional squads of naval infantry are landed on the coast as reinforcements.

dR9L58v.jpg

The mirth of the attackers is cut short, however, by the clatter of tank tracks pounding the ground! Swiftly reacting to the assault, elements of the 9th cavalry lead an armored counter-attack on the left flank of the recently captured trenches. It seems that the mortars will have to be abandoned as our men leap for cover in the trenches, faced with the clunky but deadly interwar tanks.

JWCEUQM.jpg

(R2 tank)

8FXLNKs.jpg
We're caught in the open without any anti-tanks support! Fall back!

DySE0AX.jpg
Wait!

8FXLNKs.jpg
What?

DySE0AX.jpg
There is an anti-tank rifle in one of those ammunition crates. Grab it before you go.

8FXLNKs.jpg
You're right! This will come in handy.

DySE0AX.jpg
Gotta love meta-game information.

iohIXu1.jpg

U78LXGP.jpg

Supported by armor, Romanian infantry attempts to swarm the trench through sheer numbers, putting a lot of pressure on the Soviet left flank.

qJtetDw.jpg

Meanwhile, Romanian R2 and captured T-26 tanks advance towards the right flank, threatening to squeeze the Red Marines in a deadly embrace!

L0qyZ0F.jpg

One T-26 ventures too near the lines in an attempt to enfilade the defenders. One well-placed shot from the anti-tank rifle managed to pierce its thin skin, knocking it out of commission!

pwFhRW5.jpg

On the other side, the Marines gave way to the Romanian infantry, allowing them to capture the left flank whilst taking up advantageous positions in a communications trench, allowing them to enfilade fire on any attackers.

PlxG8H7.jpg

The attackers' fate was sealed as the two reinforcement squads moved up, effectively surrounding them. The remaining infantrymen were mopped up without much difficulty.

There remained the problem of enemy armor, however. A number of enemy tanks had managed to reach the last strongpoint that stood in the way between the landing force and Grigorievka, adding their firepower to that of the artillery and heavy machineguns in place. Assaulting the tanks in the open would be folly. It was therefore decided to snipe the enemy tanks, one by one, with the anti-tank rifle, crawling within effective range and aiming for weakspots.

7IY3BKr.jpg

With the first tank destroyed, a squad was moved into the adjacent, unmanned enemy trench, from which the anti-tank gunner could take aim at the next enemy vehicle.

pOkXvVV.jpg

A relatively distant R2 from a bad angle proved to be a tough nut to crack; however, a lucky hit to the ammunition magazine provided spectacular results.

ms7yR9R.jpg

QhR8u7c.jpg

f5VWSit.jpg

0qQX1Wx.jpg

(Knocked out R2)

kRM9Xo3.jpg

Having accomplished their dangerous mission, the Pop-a-Tank squad got some well-deserved rest in an advanced trench whilst the next phase of the assault was planned.

QkP4UNm.jpg

The last enemy redoubt was a formidable obstacle, protected by anti-aircraft guns, 75mm Schneider field guns and heavy machineguns, as well as one last remaining tank. An unsupported frontal assault would spell doom for our small force.

ZkbmFrL.jpg

(Romanian troops manning a 75mm Schneider field gun)

jhmlJ1L.jpg

Fortunately, with the coast clear, the marines were able to reclaim the captured Stokes-Brandt mortars

YyKAEv7.jpg

Firing from cover, the mortars began to soften up the Romanian defenses, silencing the enemy guns in preparation for the coming assault.

O9Rl6Zy.jpg

(Soviet Marines manning a light mortar)

xxgYoXS.jpg

a5QVxY0.jpg

Taking advantage of the confusion in the enemy ranks, two squads of infantry successfully took up positions in the first row of enemy trenches, dispatching the opposition with grenades and providing them with an excellent field of fire on the last remaining enemy guns.

ww3UrwD.jpg

With the capture of the enemy Vickers heavy AA gun, the Romanian fascists finally lost heart and took to their heels, retreating towards the village and abandoning an intact T-26 tank in their flight. This was a bit of luck, as the vehicle would certainly come in handy on the following day.

GQRc6SX.jpg

With the first objective secured, the assault against the village would be resumed on the following morning.

DySE0AX.jpg
Well done, Comrades. The operation so far has been a complete success, completing the objectives on time and causing grievous material damage to the enemy. And with zero casualties, no less!

NRDkznu.jpg
When will we be assaulting the village, Comrade?

DySE0AX.jpg
The 157th Rifle Division will be attacking the enemy along the Odessa-Bierezovka Railroad today at 0640 hours. This will create a diversion and prevent the enemy from bringing up further reinforcements. I have given the order to your commanding officer to launch the assault from the outskirts of the village at 0800 hours.

NRDkznu.jpg
What will our objectives be?

DySE0AX.jpg
To capture the village, of course, but especially to silence any artillery and anti-aircraft artillery that may prevent the arrival of further reinforcements to the area. Unfortunately, Krasnyi Kavkaz will not be able to support you tomorrow, as I have decided to restrict daylight operations in the light of what happened to the PHROONZ -- I mean, the Frunze. The vessel will therefore be returning to its base at Sevastopol now that it has finished unloading.

NRDkznu.jpg
The enemy showed their true worth today. So what if we lack artillery support? They will be pushed back regardless.

DySE0AX.jpg
That's the spirit! Now try to get some shuteye before the assault begins. Success tomorrow will determine the fate of the operation.

(To be continued...)

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Here comes another action-packed update, Comrades! Sorry for taking so long, I underestimated the amount of work that would pile up for me. So without further ado, here's...

Chapter 2: Remove Mititei from the Premises!

Outskirts of Grigorievka, 0800 hours.

ZzU2yKD.jpg

The sun rises over the Grigorievka, and as Soviet naval infantry pushes foward into the outskirts of the village, the intense fighting of the previous day is resumed with renewed fury!

NRDkznu.jpg
The time has come, Comrades! Forward!

DySE0AX.jpg
I told you to await my instructions, Comrade. Don't you remember?

NRDkznu.jpg
Yes, Comrade General Secretary, but isn't the order of the day to capture the village?

DySE0AX.jpg
That it is, but your perspective is skewed by what you see on the field. Look:

pSehfMK.jpg

DySE0AX.jpg
Attempting to capture the village will be an exercise in futility until the enemy strongpoint on hill 422, made up of three field guns and one heavy AA gun, is silenced. I want you to capture those guns!

NFO24lG.jpg

Before the marines could advance, however, they were harassed by a Romanian armored car, driving down the road. Ducking for cover, they easily knocked it out with one well-placed shot from the Anti-Tank Rifle.

tDZ3hk1.jpg

NRDkznu.jpg
We're in luck, Comrades! In their flight, the Romanians abandoned an intact light tank. We should comandeer it for our own use!

8FXLNKs.jpg
After all, we are only retaking what was ours in the first place! And look, it has a full tank of gas!

Not destroying the tank in the previous engagement provided the marines with an invaluable asset for the coming battle, as they set forth southwards to capture the Romanian artillery emplacement.

FHscjgb.jpg

The direct approach the position was defended by an obvious minefield and a trench, but circumventing them was a trivial matter and a squad of infantry, supported by the tank, made its way up the flank of the position.

K8mSytm.jpg

As the infantry inches its way up the slope beneath the line of fire of the field guns, the Romanian armored car ventures out into the open, where it is immediately knocked out by the 45mm gun of the T-26. A stroke of luck, as despite its frail armor, the armored car was fitted with a high-velocity 37 mm gun that packed enough of a punch to put the Soviet light tank out of commisison.

LOLFyCD.jpg

As the flaming wreck of the armored car slid down the slope, the infantry continued to make its way upwards, ready to grenade the field guns into submission.

imaNkA4.jpg

However, there remained the question of the heavy Anti-Aircraft gun. The hilltop was guarded by the gun and a heavy machinegun, so an infantry assault would be foolhardy. The only option, risky as it may be, was to expose the tank to potentially devastating enemy fire, hoping to get the first shot.

OqGp9H8.jpg

The mobility of the T-26 and the coolness of its crew under fire, however, proved decisive! As the T-26 inched within range, the panicked Romanian soldiers missed their first shot, sealing their fate: a high-explosive round from the cannon and raking machinegun fire took care of the rest.

UV9MiCf.jpg

DySE0AX.jpg
Well done, Comrades. Thanks to your stirling work, the assault can now begin! Take up positions and get ready to capture the village.

1Fw7PfE.jpg

One of the main avenues in the village is guarded by a feeble AH-IV Czechoslovak tankette, branded R-1 in Romanian service. Whereas such a vehicle could pose a challenge to infantry, it was nothing but fodder to Soviet guns.

Bz0ZUtF.jpg

Slowly but surely, Soviet marines carve a bloody path through the ranks of the Romanian defenders, often fighting for every single house!

myV1JF0.jpg

Whereas the tank proves to be an invaluable asset in the street fighting, it also begins to show its vulnerability: venturing too close to an enemy infantry position, or wandering into the field of fire of a hidden anti-tank gun would spell its doom.

XHZm1xJ.jpg

Another Romanian R-1 tankette foolishly rushes the Soviet attackers; the main gun of the T-26 makes short work of the diminutive vehicle.

DDPkTeD.jpg

Meanwhile, the Romanians counterattack along the Soviet Left, bringing up a captured French R-35 light tank. The slow-moving, undergunned but formidably protected vehicle, however, was rolling towards a captured 75mm field gun, which had previously been set up there by the Soviets...

kA3k8t9.jpg

Meanwhile, the Romanians had holed themselves up in the courtyard of an abandoned factory, with a T-26 tank supporting them: assaulting their position would be tricky indeed...

uGAx0oh.jpg

A squad of men was sent to sneak around the left flank, taking out a Romanian machinegun nest, and ready to pounce at the enemy tank.

Eom8N04.jpg

With the coast clear, a single soldier was sent to crawl towards the tank, ready to toss a bundled grenade at it. The tank's lack of visibility was to be its downfall.

0nHDbb8.jpg

With this significant obstacle out of the way, the Soviet marines are free to push foward towards the beach where reinforcements will be landed!

p6jtSum.jpg

The Romanians, however, were not about to let the Soviets land without a fight, as they began rolling up further gypsy battlewagons as reinforcements.

Om9sBjH.jpg

qyr1TcI.jpg

OsVt1SQ.jpg

DySE0AX.jpg
I will be bringing up my secret anti-WCDS weapon... womyn marines!

6P6ByfN.jpg

Meanwhile, the struggle for the beach had become a scene of unprecedented carnage, as the Soviet marines held their positions against all odds, faced with streams of attackers!

V4VTx5G.jpg

On the left flank, three Romanian tanks were spotted rolling down the road. The marines were ordered to abandon the field gun and withdraw towards the beach.

WfFEgc7.jpg

Meanwhile, despite the Romanians' best efforts, the reinforcements were unloaded!

0K2xkFC.jpg

Whilst the defenders held off the waves of Romanians, the recently-landed marines were free to attack the Anti-Aircraft guns.

6wzMWjc.jpg

Success! With the heights captured, Soviet fighter-bombers were free to wreak havoc amongst the bewildered Romanians.

FZFZX5z.jpg

auwaZgo.jpg

lFZeplc.jpg

Advancing among the wreckage of the counterattacking force, the Russians were once again free to advance into Grigorievka. This time, nothing seemed to be able to oppose them.

5dAd6P7.jpg

8FXLNKs.jpg
At long last, the Romanians are retreating! We've done it!

DySE0AX.jpg
Of course, comrade. The wheel of history does not turn backwards.

With zero casualties in the squad led by Comrade General Secretary himself, the Romanians have been put to flight, endangering the flank of the fascist forces endangering the Crimea. Success is ours for now, but for how long can Crimea hold out faced with the relentless advance of the nazi hordes? Stay tuned for our next episode.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Don't think I've forgotten about this, Comrade. I've just been having trouble finding time to play lately. There will be more installments!

5yearplan.jpg

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Well, I've finally found the time to do some playing. I don't know if I'll have any time to do more installments in the foreseeable future, however, with all the hassle that's coming up. So, without further ado, here is

Chapter 3 - Derp from Above

September 22, 1941. Ourskirts of Shitsli, east of Odessa.

A single squad of airborne marines are dropped behind the Romanian lines to disrupt their supplies and communications. Although they are instructed to avoid confrontations, little do they know that they will end up doing as much damage as an entire company...

wGz1Jlf.jpg

Not far from the drop zone, a Romanian armored car crew is sitting around a Gypsy Campfire, in their traditionally negligent way. Furthermore, lacking technology of their own, they are using a Soviet BA-10, which our men are familiar with. What a golden opportunity for a roving squad of lightly armored parachutists seeking to wreak havoc!

M42ON5G.jpg

Unleashing the fury of their submachine guns from the bushes, when the smoke clears, only the scattered bodies of the careless crew are to be seen. Having searched them for ammunition, supplies and gold teeth, our heroes commandeer the armored car.

XR16gPc.jpg

This is a fortunate development, as the Romanians had sent men to comb the woods after the parachutists were spotted in the air. They are made short work of with cannon and machinegun fire.

9ktPaCA.jpg

Up ahead lies the village of Shitsli, which certainly manages to live up to its name. It does, however, have another unmanned armored car in a farmhouse; capturing the armored car, or preventing the enemy from manning it, is of the utmost importance.

tckSIV8.jpg

As the parachutists assault the village supported by the armored car, the enemy is in disarray as they scramble forth to meet the threat. An enemy armored car, an enemy light tank and a halftrack are all dispatched in short order by the BA-10's powerful 45mm cannon.

AXd3Q47.jpg

18VJnsL.jpg

spiE7wC.jpg

After the rout of the Romanians, the intact armored car in the courtyard was commandeered to lead the final assault on the Romanian command post.

APcUWe4.jpg

The last obstacle was a Bofors AA gun threatening their advance; fortunately, Romanians cannot into risk management and the gun was grenaded whilst it attempted to get a clear shot at the armored car.

jngotOR.jpg

As Kuznetsov stormed into the command post, the Romanian commander folded like a wet paper towel and said everything he knew, ranging from enemy military movements to the number of cavities in his back teeth. It was discovered that a Romanian armored convoy would be passing through that very village shortly...

dm9yyM5.jpg

And, fortunately, one of the crates had just the thing for armored convoys!

qtVVVgF.jpg

65zZ6wx.jpg

After the mines had been laid, the rest of the squad went to man the other armored car; the cars would be hidden in ambush on both sides of the path, ready to pick off any survivors...

hzBZ6QB.jpg

...and it wasn't long before the Romanians came a-rolling!

7Exm4XD.jpg

S0ZIP63.jpg

"What eez matter, Traian?"

"Eez sometheeng feeshy, commander."

"Nonsense, what are you of knowing? Drive on!"

KZi96ax.jpg

"I told you so, commander!"

The second tank in the column met the same fate as it failed to halt on time, and the third was tracked by a nearby explosion.

4GgAv8b.jpg

A Romanian light tank, feeling very clever, attempts to bypass the mine field on the right...

zGlEP7L.jpg

Oops!

aJdDI2F.jpg

yBJcLkl.jpg

Another genius thinks that if it was not possible to bypass it on the right, perhaps he could do so on the left?

ASchxC0.jpg

No such luck, I'm afraid!

tQyL9CW.jpg

The only thing left to do was to finish off the remaining tracked vehicles...

cmWGVGX.jpg

YZZeiG0.jpg

Success! Unfortunately, one of the armored cars was lost in the process, but the vehicles had outlived their usefulness in any event and they were abandoned. The only thing left to do before advancing was ambushing the Romanians in pursuit...

XtBIgCC.jpg

MbnOd4S.jpg

Mole Status: Popped.

"Commander Tudor, maybe ees not gud idea to go where destroyed tank went!"

"Nonsense! You drive!"

rkPsmMx.jpg

v4CG25W.jpg

And the gene pool is cleansed of another bunch of idiots.

As further Romanian reinforcements began to flood towards the area, the time had come to move on...

HjxMpFI.jpg

BvSRx6r.jpg

Up ahead was a small enemy depot, defended by machinegun towers.

0eVRYwd.jpg

Capturing the depot was beyond question; the men had no wire cutters to bypass the fences, and the base contained heavy weapons that could be manned by the defenders at a moment's notice...

uCTpJQd.jpg

Sniping at the machinegunner on the southwestern turret, our men are able to approach the base avoiding detection.

3B3qVS5.jpg

8gGvBgY.jpg

Having snuck around the base, the men could simply have moved on, but they would not do so without leaving the Romanians a little farewell present...

3YkmOVt.jpg

T8JFKZj.jpg

v58RKwV.jpg

Success! The Romanian rearguard was in complete disarray, as their headquarters were flooded with distress calls. Everywhere there were reports of ammunitions depots exploding and trucks burning due to the hard work of Soviet saboteurs!

The brave actions of Sergeant Kuznetsov and his men have won precious hours for the Red Marines. As the Romanians began their weak counterattack, they were met with a hail of withering fire from strong and well-organized Soviet positions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom