Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 10 reasons to buy NWN2 by JE Sawyer

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Some would disagree with you about BG2's opening. Some really, really hate it. So much so a method to bypass it was made.

Not me. BG2's opening was awesome.

btw, Irenicus' dungeon wans't really the tutorial. BG2 actually had a tutorial that was seperate from the game. That whiny elf from BG1 hosted it.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jim Kata said:
I like how he spins that a tutorial you are apparently forced to play is so fun.

You dont have to play the tutorial, Einstein. You can skip it.

Personally I am quite impressed with the whole city watch deal. Although Im a little worried about the combat and animations.

denizsi

Arcane
I agree, BG2's "introductory tutorial" was well thought and executed.

Another flaw, at least in my opinion, of NWN was the retarded level design and flow of gameplay, including the academy. So I hated NWN intro, as well as much of the game later.

By the way, if you killed any of the supporting characters in BG1 who would be in BG2 later (Imoen, Minsc, Jahid or whatever his name was and his whore companion, Kaheira?), and then imported that character into BG2, would they still be in the game, or would they be replaced with different NPCs? I never tried that.

suibhne

Erudite
denizsi said:
By the way, if you killed any of the supporting characters in BG1 who would be in BG2 later (Imoen, Minsc, Jahid or whatever his name was and his whore companion, Kaheira?), and then imported that character into BG2, would they still be in the game, or would they be replaced with different NPCs? I never tried that.

Nothing that you did in BG has any affect on BG2 (other than your own character, including a few inventory items). BG2 assumes you finished BG in a certian way.

As for tutorials, my favorite in recent games in ToEE. BG2's wasn't that bad given the competition (BG? Bloodlines? ugh), but I really like ToEE's approach of creating a totally separate vignette.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Although Im a little worried about the combat and animations."

I think combat itself will be fine if you liked NWN's combat along with the added multi headed monster. Animations I agree with thoguh. Looks rather weak espicially since the 4 year old NWN has some of the best combat animations in any game. No exuse for this graphical setback.

"would they still be in the game,"

Would still be in the game. BIO dropped the ball on that issue. Hoepfully, they won't when it comes to the ME trilogy espicially since that trilogy is planned well in advance...

TOEE's vignettes were lame. Lame, lame, lame. How can you call them tutorials when they often lasted less than 30 seconds? LOLOLOLOLLIPOP

Nael

Arcane
Volourn said:
btw, Irenicus' dungeon wans't really the tutorial. BG2 actually had a tutorial that was seperate from the game. That whiny elf from BG1 hosted it.

Damnit, you're right. And there I was acting like I knew a damn about tutorials :oops:

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
TOEE's vignettes were lame. Lame, lame, lame. How can you call them tutorials when they often lasted less than 30 seconds? LOLOLOLOLLIPOP

I wasn't talking about the opening vignettes. I used the word "tutorial" to refer to the actual, you know, tutorial. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

Maybe I shouldn't have also used the word "vignette" in a generic sense - I could have anticipated it would be confusing to people with poor reading comprehension. :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You used thre word vignette. That sets me off due to bad memories. Blame Troika, and TOEE. I don't think I actually tried the TOEE tutorial. I don't think i even noticed if there was one. LOL :D

Grog

Educated
Volourn said:
" I suppose I should just be happy that a developer is willing to admit his game has faults, instead of hearing the, "Trust us, everything is awesome!" line again."

You are ignorant. I have never seen a developer truly claim their product perfect. Not even the hated Bethesdeans... :roll:
Did I say Bethesda claimed their product was perfect?

No, I didn't think so.

Besides, that misses the point entirely, as it's not a jab at Bethesda. Excessive hype and downplaying of faults are all over the place in this industry. I was expressing my appreciation of JE's candor with regard to discussing faults his games. I wish he would take it a step further, and break down the kinds of things they encountered and what they did about them. But that's just my inner engineer shining through.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
You used thre word vignette. That sets me off due to bad memories. Blame Troika, and TOEE. I don't think I actually tried the TOEE tutorial. I don't think i even noticed if there was one. LOL :D

I remember it being kinda nifty, actually. It was a very short dungeon crawl with characters who had nothing to do with ToEE, introducing the general interface. I liked the D&D-style flavor texts accompanying each room. Still, I'd probably be disappointed if I went back to try it again.

Dolar

Novice
Oarfish said:
Well, that was quite effective PR. I find myself going from meh to hmm. The original NWN dissapointed me so much I didn't bother following the many expansions.

The Expansions were so much better story-wise. By the end of the second one however it got to be so monty hall with super magical items it was not even funny.

But on NWN2 I have to agree. I was planning to pick it up just for the the online play and toolset. But the more I read of the single player gives me hope that it may not be that bad.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
If you have problems with monty haul don't bother with NWN2. We don't need to read more whining about monty haul from the usual pathetic whiny crowd.

spacemoose

Erudite
Volourn said:
If you have problems with monty haul don't bother with NWN2. We don't need to read more whining about monty haul from the usual pathetic whiny crowd.

so you claim that the level of ridiculously overpowered loot in NWN2 will be high? whats your source

ROOFLES

Drakron

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:

SOBs!!!

They found my weak spot, elf women with arabian clothing ... god damn it, how I have to buy this!

Curse my elfish ear fetish ...

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It all sounds good to me.

Anyway, of all the developers that currently exist, I have the most faith in Obsidian.

If anything good ever comes out again it'll be from them.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
jiujitsu said:
It all sounds good to me.

Anyway, of all the developers that currently exist, I have the most faith in Obsidian.

If anything good ever comes out again it'll be from them.

Barring another Troika coming out of nowhere, maybe from Russia, I agree completely with these statements.

Voss

Erudite
The prison wasn't a tutorial.

Tutorials teach you how to do things. (something thats really out of place in an RPG and most other games). There should be a seperate tutorial (completely removed from the rest of the game) for those illiterate fucks without half a brain.

denizsi said:
At least the interface doesn't look bad or consolish.

Which is a nice change. I hated NWN's interface.

Surgey

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Also, at least NWN2 has robes now..."

So does NWN1.

Well, at release, anyways. It took NWN two expansions. :\ Or was it one? I can't remember. In any case, I'll probably buy NWN2 once it's released. I enjoyed the first one enough, and if the second one's anything like it, I'll probably like it too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom