Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

100+ crashes later

merry andrew

Erudite
I've finished the game! This was one of those games I always wanted to play but never did. I started playing after almost a year of no gaming. Thank you Zero Sum!

The crashes most frequently resulted from:
> losing cursor visibility while in dialogue/character screens
> field of view scrolling with cursor at edge of screen (especially in caves)
> item amount specification while bartering

Here's a link to the version I played. The crashes were an inconvenience at most, circumvented by frequent saves (which I do anyway).

Again, thank you... in short for the character/combat system, The Barrier Fortress area, the music, and Mirilich's dialogue :cool:

Jora

Arcane
Do you by any chance have a save file in which the party is in the Monastery of the Charred Ones (or has just completed it)? I'd like to finish the game too. :(

merry andrew

Erudite
Eh, nope. I only used autosave and one other save file. If you send me your save file I'll see if I can help; my email is in my profile.

merry andrew

Erudite
Yeah, it's too bad I tend to favor publishers who use megaupload.com to distribute their free product which I happened to enjoy.

obediah

Erudite
you must have enjoyed the game to change your fucking avatar. fucker. It's too much work to keep track of you icon-hopping whore-fucking gnad-lickers.

merry andrew

Erudite
obediah said:
you must have enjoyed the game to change your fucking avatar. fucker. It's too much work to keep track of you icon-hopping whore-fucking gnad-lickers.
My bad. Blame it on overdosing for New Year's.

Korak

Novice
merry andrew said:
I've finished the game! This was one of those games I always wanted to play but never did. I started playing after almost a year of no gaming. Thank you Zero Sum!

Hey man,

That's great to hear. And you're fucking welcome! I haven't posted in ages, but I still check in from time to time. This project certainly wasn't the financial success that any of us wanted it to be (which I suppose could have something to do with the subject heading of this forum... :cry: ) , but I still think we made a hell of a game, and the fact that people are still playing it (and all the way through!) at this point, is enormously gratifying.

Oh, and glad you liked Mirilich's dialogue. I'm proud of this bit:

"the only people I've threatened to kill were the cloaked figures who butchered my partner. So if one of them was a damned agent of the Watcher you can give them my sincerest fucking apologies"

And, just out of curiousity-- how many hours of play do you think it took to finish the game? Or is that something you'd rather not ponder...

peace

LCJr.

Erudite
It wasn't a financial success because it never was stable.

merry andrew

Erudite
Korak said:
Oh, and glad you liked Mirilich's dialogue. I'm proud of this bit:

"the only people I've threatened to kill were the cloaked figures who butchered my partner. So if one of them was a damned agent of the Watcher you can give them my sincerest fucking apologies"
He's badass! :)

And, just out of curiousity-- how many hours of play do you think it took to finish the game?
Somewhere around 50 hours, but probably longer than that.

LCJr. said:
It wasn't a financial success because it never was stable.
I bet it wasn't a financial success because while I was playing it crashed on more than 100 occasions. And I'm not just saying that because that's what Korak said two posts above me.

RpgMage

Novice
Hey, don't post spoilers that prominently please. I am downloading this game and I almost read that paragraph describing what looks to be a pretty big spoiler! I'm trying to squeeze it out of my memory now...

merry andrew

Erudite
RpgMage said:
Hey, don't post spoilers that prominently please. I am downloading this game and I almost read that paragraph describing what looks to be a pretty big spoiler! I'm trying to squeeze it out of my memory now...
Eh? The only spoiler in this thread is the name of a NPC and one line of their dialogue.

RpgMage

Novice
Oh... I thought I read something about something happening to a certain NPC... then I covered my eyes in agony.

Sorry. Wait, since this is RPGCodex, does that mean I will now be mocked mercilessly? :shock:

merry andrew said:
RpgMage said:
Eh? The only spoiler in this thread is the name of a NPC and one line of their dialogue.

Hey, Korak.
the download link on your website Zero-Sum doesn't work.
And the link given by OP opens up the megaupload site, but without a download button.
Any other download location?

Jora

Arcane
You have to type in the three-letter download code that's next to the Megaupload text. Sometimes it's hidden behind an ad.

Sometimes it's hidden behind an ad.

Eh? I cliked on everything clickable, but got no Download buttons or codes, except "Download with Premium", which is there anyway, and that takes me to all those premium rates page and useless stuff.

???

Jora

Arcane
Have you shut down the ad by clicking the X in its upper right corner? I get no ads anymore but I remember that this was quite confusing.

Severian Silk

What kind of crashes did you experience? Just CTDs, or crashes requiring you to reboot?

Jora

Arcane
I decided to replay PtD a couple of days ago, even though I my first game is at a dead end. I made a new party, endured all the crashes and slowdowns and shit, and I MADE IT! I PASSED THROUGH THE DARK PATH! With only one crash! It seems the patch helped. You just need to start a new game for the changes to work.

I'm now cleaning the Monastery archives of all the dwellers the fireball monks are too busy to do anything about.

Despite all the technical issues, this is a really, really fine game. The Barrier Fortress and the Citadel are among the best designed cities in RPGs. The character development system is simple but works well. The well made quests and the open world reminded me strongly of Arcanum, in a positive way.

The main plot is a great example of how to structure a storyline, though I would've preferred an option to avoid going to the Monastery in the "infiltrate the Rebellion" path.

Now that the game-killing bug is gone I can recommend the game to everyone.

spacemoose

Erudite
what was the version you played?

and the megaupload seems to be gone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom