Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"100 Rogues", new indie Roguelike RPG (iPhone)

getter77

Augur
Good to see ya around keith. Still looking forward for the hopeful eventual PC version! Ever manage to come up for air and "examine" Scallywag for whimsy-fodder? ;)

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Castanova said:
Just because you see the end of a game an order of magnitude less often than the beginning of a game doesn't mean there's something wrong. In fact, I'd prefer that because then the end-game content is extra enjoyable given how rare it is to experience.

Sure, but on the other hand the early game in Roguelikes is generally pretty limited (past chargen anyway). You can, what, attack, shoot one spell a couple of times, maybe go berserk or use some other sort of class ability? Other than that you're constrained by what you find.
I've played a few Roguelikes and I think we can all agree that they get a lot more interesting after a few levels - resource management, new abilities, equipment choices, etc.

Besides, RLs being what they are getting to the endgame will still be infrequent even in a shorter game.

Castanova

Prophet
Yeah, but roguelikes shine when you have limited options - hence why most people like the beginning of NetHack far more than the end-game. I'd much rather a game with a zero to hero character progression over ~40,000 turns than a game with a hero to better hero progression over ~5,000 turns.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I have a hunch that the Nethack thing is because of how arbitrary that game gets towards the end (petrification and all that sort of jazz) rather than the fact there's more options. Also I'll admit getting established in games is a lot of fun (Elite's early game is about my favourite thing).

PS. I'm not arguing that an RL should start you off as a big meat axe. Personally I like low level games with a shallow power curve - but with options.

keithburgun

Educated
Ya I agree about Nethack. Our game is very light on the "arbitrary knowledge". Most of the difficulty comes from "should I do this, or this, or this... Oops, bad idea, I'm dead" rather than "What does THAT do? Oh, I'm dead."

More like screwing yourself in Chess than in nethack.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If I ever open a random chest to find a brand new iPhone in it, I'll be sure to get this for it. If not then I'll just wait for the PC port.

Castanova

Prophet
keithburgun said:
Our game is very light on the "arbitrary knowledge".

So-called "arbitrary knowledge" is the cornerstone of a unique experience. It's ironic that you refer to Chess as a comparison since Chess is almost entirely comprised of arbitrary knowledge. Someone with no experience with the game then suddenly presented with a Chess board would probably guess that the two different colors of pieces represent two different teams and that you can move the pieces on the grid. That would be just about it. This is regardless of the person's knowledge of Checkers, Go, or whatever else is out there.

Aiming to make 100 Rogues full of tough decisions during combat is not really a design choice. It's simply acknowledging that you intend to properly balance the game.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Zed said:
Aren't you worried you'll draw the wrong crowd with the graphics though (the conceptual/illustrations/cover etc - shit you'll use as promotional)? It looks like a casual-friendly adventure for the whole family looking at that art with the baby and skeleton... and then it turns out it's turn-based and shit and people (you know, them) will go "ah, waaaah, I don't get it, what's this, I don't even-" *permadead*.

:roll: Welcome to the cell phone/handheld market. There are even more cutsie TB games than there are on consoles.

Silellak

Cipher
Huh, this looks pretty cool, actually. Seems like the concept of a true roguelike plus the portable gaming mentality of "play a few minutes at a time" would go well together, and the art style is awesome. Though, the frustration that comes with permadeath might lead to a few broken iPhones - mine included.

Multi-headed Cow

entertainer said:
a fucking iphone game topic in my rpg discussion?

so this is what it has come to
I know, right? It's all dungeon crawling and tactics and shit. Where's the rat diplomacy and C&C?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Okay, now I need to know: how many of you suckers use an iPhone?

keithburgun

Educated
For the record, I don't personally even use an iphone, nor even a mac. I'm not an apple guy, at all. Nor even a cellphone guy! Heh. But we got an investor who wanted us to make a game on the iPhone, which I know has a huge base of users, and a horrible catalog of games, so we figured - hey, why not try and make a REAL game on the iPhone? We figure there's a ton of people who are gamers and just happen to have iPhones, and if we can reach them, it should be great.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
In all seriousness, I doubt many Codexers are much into Apple either, and most probably don't traffic in iPoS.

I can understand why you'd develop for the app store, though, thanks to its market share. Here's hoping you pass Apple's approval process. =p

aleph

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Port to Android or GTFO, bitch.

Porting to Android shouldn't be a big issue, it's all java anyway, isn't it?

Castanova

Prophet
aleph said:
Lesifoere said:
Port to Android or GTFO, bitch.

Porting to Android shouldn't be a big issue, it's all java anyway, isn't it?

Nope. iPhone apps are written in Objective-C. This one most likely uses OpenGL ES but, in the worst case, it's possible this game uses the Apple-specific graphics API.

hicksman

Liturgist
Looks good. I'll put another vote for an Android version so i can actually play it...

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Castanova said:
Nope. iPhone apps are written in Objective-C. This one most likely uses OpenGL ES but, in the worst case, it's possible this game uses the Apple-specific graphics API.

Maybe not. I checked on Wikipedia and Objective C is supported by GCC so compiling on a desktop won't be impossible (well, assuming no Apple-specific code is being used, as you say). A few more minutes of research turned this up, fuck knows if it works though.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
hicksman said:
Looks good. I'll put another vote for an Android version so i can actually play it...

Which handset are you using, out of curiosity?

Castanova

Prophet
Lord Rocket said:
I checked on Wikipedia and Objective C is supported by GCC so compiling on a desktop won't be impossible (well, assuming no Apple-specific code is being used, as you say). A few more minutes of research turned this up, fuck knows if it works though.

I read the FAQ and the goal is definitely to get cross-platform code working on both iPhone OS and Android but he's not there yet. Could be interesting, though, for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom