Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

12 reasons why F2 is a bad Fallout game

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by mfkndggrfll, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. existential_vacuum .PNG Police Patron

existential_vacuum
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 10
    • Creative x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mexi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Mexi
    You'd have to be one of those homotional phaggots from NMA that shoved a Fallout: 1 disc up his ass to think Fallout: 2 is a bad Fallout game. It's the best game of the series. New Vegas would be goat, but the combat system really holds it back.

• Brofist x 7
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    So you are back at harvesting retardred ratings. :dance:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Define bad.
    No, I don't mean your beyond useless arguments on why you think FO2 is bad. Define the term bad.
    You don't like it? Something something aesthetical and artistic merits (*cough * ... pompous asshat ... *cough*)? No immershun? Or what?
    And do you think it's just a bad Fallout sequel because the tone is different or a bad CRPG in general.
    What would be a good CRPG in your opinion? And why should anyone care that you deem good?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    ^ Top  
  5. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    [​IMG]
    The combat is bad.
    The art direction is bad.
    The pacing is bad.

You can enjoy the game despite these things, but if anyone really wants to sit here and tell me that the combat, art direction, and pacing of the game are good, than we have a fundamentally different perspective on what makes a game enjoyable. As for other things that I personally think are bad, I didn't really experience any dialogue or world building elements that really gripped me and made me interested in the game. I read all about how UnderRail was a game for combat-fags, and I was instantly hooked on the games setting and lore. On the other hand, all I heard about Fallout were people praising its dialogue and setting, and I for the life of me couldn't get interested.

That's what's bad about Fallout 1 & 2 mate, I'd love to hear a reasonable argument against any of these points.

• retadred retadred x 11
    ^ Top  
  6. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Not really, no. It's not monocled or anything and it's kinda broken but it's fun with all the gore. The only thing that is indeed bad are fights with lots of NPCs. Waiting for all their turns to finish is annoying.

Subjective. And no, it's not, you just got shit taste is all.

Bullshit. The pacing is fine, enough town hubs and all of them have their own little social dynamics and arc of suspense. It's like half a dozen or so interlocking short stories, and the way they flow into each other and connect the different areas is pretty damn well done (like the NCR - New Reno - Vault City affair).

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Fun with all the gore? This is a great example of people defending something because they like it versus using logical arguments. Is it possible to like Fallout's combat system? Sure, but pretending that there is something wrong with someone that dislikes it is retarded. You even admitted yourself it's broken. There are countless RPGs that have better combat systems than Fallout. If your only defense of it is "the gore is fun", than you might have some form of mental retardation. I watch MMA or I browse reddit if I want to see gore, I don't stare at the same fucking death animation for the 100th fucking gecko I've killed.
    Everything is "subjective". FO uses the same shit color palette throughout, with little to no variation, and is an absolute eyesore. This combined with the shit buildings that are literally just squares and rectangles makes the game a steaming pile of shit in terms of art direction. Maybe you like it. Maybe you're a fucking retard.
    The pacing from the starter village, to Klamath, to the den, was absolutely fucking shit. The fight with those two brothers with the Brahman was garbage, the fucking Gecko quest was impossible, and the random encounters were absolutely fucking horrendous later in the game.

The most important criteria in a game is whether or not it's actually fun enough to keep me playing. FO 1 & 2 look like shit aesthetically, have broken combat systems which make combat an absolute chore, and the pacing is at the very least problematic early in the game. That's just grazing the surface, because I didn't see anything special when it came to either the dialogue or the setting of FO 1 & 2 either; which is perhaps an even bigger issue than the combat and art style of the game.

• retadred retadred x 5
    • Shit Shit x 5
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Dunno about you, but for me "I like it" or "It's entertaining" is a logical argument for wasting my time on a computer game.
    And it's not just the gore, experimenting with skills and weapons is also fun. Not balanced but fun.

The rest is subjective. I love the music and the color palette is fitting for a postapocalyptic radioactive wasteland. All together this creates a certain mood or atmosphere. Which is sometimes at odds with the goofy popculture references but still fits most of the story so it's not as tone deaf as some people here make it out to be.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    I don't have a problem with people saying they like FO 1 & 2, it's whenever people claim that you have shit taste for not liking it that I question either their integrity or their mental faculties.

• retadred retadred x 4
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Risewild Savant

Risewild
    Actually, it was us, over at NMA. that sent him here after getting tired of his troll attempts in there.
    Also I am pretty sure 99% of NMA regulars like FO2, so I have no idea what you mean by your comment.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Show Spoiler
    his name is really "motherfuckin' daggerfall" but with the vowels omitted

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wha-

Oh.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Appeals to how long a person has been on the Codex is about as beta male as it gets. Imagine hiding behind something as autistic as how long someones been around to make an argument.

• Participation Award x 4
    • retadred x 3
    • cool story bro x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grauken Prussian automaton Patron

Grauken
    It's a proven heuristic

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    I actually dont want to respond to OP because he's too boring and uninteresting in this trigger thread. Worst, he doesnt even play the game sufficiently and just repeat stuffs other people said to prove his own. Still, there's things that need to be said despite it's said plenty of times before. Like the need to beat someone like a redheaded stepchild~

F2 combat system has some serious problem but it's not broken. Broken is defined as nonfunctional, but anyone who play F2 can get by just fine with it.

If you havent passed any memorable combat encounter in the whole game, it means you got a serious problem as a player. Let's list a nongeneric encounter (not special)

You pass a map with a cave on the cliff. Sometimes that cave is just a shallow depression, and that map is a single map. Half of the times that cave is a rat nest and you can kill some easy stuffs for easy xp and cheap loots. And that rare 5% chance when you got a deathclaws cave and you get killed because you are too incautious not too look ahead. IF that type of map doesnt get your heart pumped everytime it appear on the screen, you got a weak heart.

You complained like a noobs playing game for the 1st time. Random encounters are there to break the silent travel from one town to another. It's necessary filler. No game is without it. Get over it and get used to it!

As for your specific details. I have two concepts for you "Outdoorsman" and "Forced Start". You can find ODM skill books fairly easy, read them. And when RE map start loading, press Enter repeatedly to Forced Start combat on your turn, then run away. DO it again when you are out of turn to run away again.
    In other words: play the game, not reading others' complaints and repeat it like a noob.

Again, play the game instead of reading wikis and other people's experience and think that can substitute for actual playing. You want fucking different endings depend on your action you can try Fixing the ghoul's reactor quest in Vault City, which is fairly early in the game. its consequence can lead down to the ending of the game regarding the fate of VC and Gecko towns. Hell, you can try an even earlier quest, resolving the conflict in Modoc and Ghost Farm ghoul community. Or the racial conflict in Broken Hills. OR the choosing of which mafia family in New Reno you can join. etc... and etc...

The examples you choose show you didnt play the game very much if at all. What you did is play, at most, about barely reach Modoc, then quit. Then you read other people to cherry pick things to "proof" your bullshit ideas.

Again, this show your level of comprehension. NCR and Vault City is at Cold War status. VC suspect NCR is behind the raiders' attacks due to their high level of trainings and weapons, but have no CONCRETE proof to their ideas. If you dont intervene into the chainquest, then Cold war erupt into Hot war, in ending slide. If you intervene into it with good result, so the war can be avoid, then it's good karma to you whatever your motivation.

As for Karma, people's dialog change if you are very evil or very good. If you are not bothered by dialog, then get ready for squad of bounty hunter after your evil ass once you kill a child.

You certainly never have the pleasure of talking with First Citizen Lynnette in Vault City, whose divine dialog drive most players into rages and fantasy of grudge fucks.

Make up your own fucking mind! Either there's nothing in the world to explore, in which case point 12 get invalidated. or There's a fuckload of things (overwhelming amount of content) to explore that dazzle your feeblemind.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  16. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    None. He cruised the wiki and his ignorant spewings pretty much confirms it.

For example, claiming that he needed caps when he reached Vault City is pretty hilarious.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    1. That is your opinion. I find combat to be pretty fun, and oftentimes hilarious. There isn't many other games that allow you to shoot someone in the groin and make a snarky comment on it.
    2. And it is acknowledged in-game. They had resourcing issues with FO2, and they did a take-that and lampshaded it.
    3. What pacing? FO2 isn't a linear game like Diablo, boy. You do what you want, when you want and if you go to areas intended for higher levels, you die. The mobs don't level with you like the Bethesda shit you are no doubt intimately familiar with.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  18. existential_vacuum .PNG Police Patron

existential_vacuum
    That's enough, thank you, you can stop here.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    You, again?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Other than the fact he is from fucking Hollywood and is therefore genetically predisposed to up-his-ass-ism, I don't really see a problem with that...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Oh look at that, first 2 posts by alts of brain-dead retards who were afraid of being ridiculed for their stupidity on their main accounts.

Or maybe, you're just a shitbrain with no taste.
    And considering how you fap over new shit games I'll assume you're also a newfag shitbrain with no taste. Though of course the edgy conservative kind to get some points with the other conservatards here.
    How about you kill yourself or get some balls and post with your original account.

It was already proven he didn't play the game.

The Fallout 2 quests are more complex and interesting than anything in Fallout 3. And that's a fact.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. existential_vacuum .PNG Police Patron

existential_vacuum
    Here goes:
    0)Good ol' Codex tradition at its finest
    1)Fucking Hollywood
    2)I'm simply tired of all sub-20/20-something "muh-RPG-gamers", who can't appreciate old games due to, more often than not, stupid reasoning (muh-graphics aka "art direction", muh combat is clunky and I cannot into it and so on).
    Maybe I'm wrong to discredit a person based on rather bland reasoning why F1 and F2 are bad, but then again, first impressions are like that

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama
    I'm starting to think mfknggrfll has been hired by Bethesda to enhance their ability to shit on their old games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Strange Fellow Arcane Patron

Strange Fellow
    He's not doing a very good job of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'll say. He seems to have Emil Pagliarulo's definitions of moral ambiguity.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)