Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

12 reasons why F2 is a bad Fallout game

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by mfkndggrfll, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    0 is a bad reason to tear the fool a new one.
    However, 1 is an EXCELLENT reason to do so.
    2 really depends on the game and individual taste. I bet there are some classic FIFA games running around but that type of games never really grabbed me, so I won't appreciate them. Neither would I ever appreciate Dance, Dance Revolution, so there you go :D

^ Top  
  2. Risewild Savant

Risewild
    And he has the same coherence and deals with criticism the same as Pete Hines....
    :philosoraptor:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Thankfully FO3 fixed all this.

• Funny x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. mfkndggrfll Learned Shitposter Bethestard

mfkndggrfll
    Bad as in it is a disgrace to the series and the whole cRPG genre. I rank F2 in the same trash tier as Pillars of Eternity.

Its a bad video game, a bad Fallout, a bad sequel, a bad cRPG and a bad joke if it was meant to be one.

laclongquan The combat is borderline broken with all the glitches to the point where it isnt fun at all. Can you say than an AP bullet scoring as crit in the eyes for 3 dmg because the enemy doesnt wear armor is a functional system?

The random encounters in F1 and other cRPGs arent as unbalanced as F2. Your build will not affect the amount of damage you take so its all pointless. Makes me laugh when people respond to encounter issues by 'hurr durr ur build isnt gud enuff'. Investing any amount of points in Outdoorsman is a pure waste because you will still die from encounters so you might as well max a combat skill.

''Again, play the game instead of reading wikis and other people's experience and think that can substitute for actual playing.'' ''Hell, you can try an even earlier quest, resolving the conflict in Modoc and Ghost Farm ghoul community''

Oh but I did play the game, the Modoc conflict is actually one of the worst instance of quest design, its literally a messenger boy job with absolutely no challenge. Ghost Farms is virtually empty and devoid of anything that matters in building a town in a cRPG. Skyrim had better quests than F2.

You misunderstand my point about karma, I was not even able to resolve any conflict because the V15 leader turned hostile after talking to him simply because I had 300ish karma from trying to be neutral and avoid evil options.

Lynette is a good looking head but everything else about that NPC is wrong. You need to save before talking to her or you might randomly get locked out of dialogue for stupid reasons. The game rewards trial and error rather than logical speech when talking to her.

If you only count the serious stuff there is indeed nothing worth exploring for. The pieces of serious content are hidden like easter eggs.

• retadred x 9
    • Shit x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Old x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Let me guess, wikiboy: You didn't know that Outdoorsman allows you to skip random encounters, the very thing you were complaining about earlier?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Except you didn't.

Or if you did, you are shit at playing games what with the constant crying about difficulty. "Virtually impossible encounters" and "the last boss which requires tremendous amounts of grinding to defeat." are just :lol:

The biggest flaw of F1 and 2 is actually that they're very, very easy.

So, which is it? You either didn't play the game or you are a newfag shitstain raised on games where you push the awesome button to progress.

Avoiding encounters you still die from encounters. Totally knows what he's talking about.
    Remember, this is the same retard who didn't know the currency in F2 is not caps.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Even worse: He has been told several dozen times that it is not caps, yet he still calls it caps.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The fact that currency in fallout is good old gold bullion not caps sold this game to me; finally the game word which is not frozen in place like Bethpizda ones. This and that you can side with VC in game made by Comiefornia libruls no less. Sad we wont have another game such as FO2 cause now nobody knows how to make sprites.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  9. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Best of all is that using caps as money is explicitly lampshaded, laughed at and given a take-that ramped up to 11 in FO2, and wikiboy still tries to claim he played the game...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    If Bethesda came up with San Francisco, Modoc, or friendly talking deathclaws, the Codex would have mocked them relentlessly for it.

• cool story bro x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Darth Canoli Arbiter

Darth Canoli
    This account is probably a multi from a guy not capable of speaking his mind with his own main fake identity so he needs a second fake identity (as we're not using our real names and pictures, right ? --> Fake identity).

So there is two appropriate answers, one needs proper admin tools, the other one is just to ignore this kind of threads, he can't keep talking to himself for long, right ?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Is that supposed to be a revelation or a great insight or what?

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. bataille Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

bataille
    I see the angle you're going for. We've all heard of that TV series about the girl and her reasons! The question is: when are you going to do the next big narrative step? You know, the one? Heh.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ItsChon Cipher Patron

ItsChon
    Yes it is my opinion, any statement anyone makes on the forum is an opinion, and people constantly mentioning it are being redundant. That being said, my metric for whether or not a game has an engaging combat system extends further than being able to shit someone in the dick.
    That doesn't justify the game being an absolute eye-sore to look at. I'm not someone that needs triple A graphics to enjoy a game. Fallout 2 with the restoration project has crisper resolution than BG, the issue is literally the art. I don't want to stare at this,
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

for any period of time longer than I need too. It's not even the way shit's drawn, it's just the fact that everything is so brown for no fucking reason.
    By pacing, I mean the beginning of the game is an absolute drag, and some of the combat encounters are absolutely fucked. The Gecko cave, which you need to complete if you want Sulik, is so horribly designed; as well as the random encounters generally being annoying as hell later on in the game.
    California =/= Hollywood. It's an entire fucking state boys, albeit a shitty state, but everyone who's from California isn't from Hollywood/associated with it.
    Except I've had this discussion with other people and I'm sure you'd agree with pretty much every game on my top RPG list, a lot of which are just as old as FO if not older. The combat is boring, the game hurts to look at, and the dialogue + setting wasn't interesting in the first 2-4 hours of the game that I played. I don't dislike the game because it's old, I dislike it for all the reasons I've outlined above.

• retadred retadred x 7
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Master Arbiter

Master
    Sorry but the art is fine here. It may be that you just dont like brown colour for some reason.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Squadcar Learned

Squadcar
    How the hell is the art style bad and why would you expect people to agree with you on that? Most of us like it. It's done well and presents the atmosphere appropriately. What in that picture isn't supposed to be a shade of brown to you? The rust? The dirt? Wooden boxes? All things that are generally brown? You ever just get mad when a game tries to convey a snow covered area but it's just too damn white? Or whenever they show a heavily forested area or jungle and it's just too much green?

Also, mfkndggrfll is about hit his 2k goal in under 6 months, just a few more comments on this thread and I'm sure he can make it there!

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. ItsChon Cipher Patron

ItsChon
    I don't know why, but for some reason Fallout 1 and 2 just look like dog shit to me. Maybe it'd look better if the buildings weren't literally rectangles with a horrible system for seeing through roofs. Primordia is a game that's primarily brown and it looks infinitely better than FO 1 & 2. It's a weird point to harp on, but the shit combat, the art that makes me want to alt+f4 out of the game, and the lack of anything interesting happening in the first four hours that I played, just make me think that the game really isn't my cup of tea. Maybe in the future when I'm bored, I'll try to push past the Den and get to Vault City.

My main point isn't necessarily that the game is bad though, my main point is that pretending there is no reason to not like FO 1 & 2 is disingenuous and retarded.

• retadred retadred x 5
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Squadcar Learned

Squadcar
    Where the hell are you from and what is the normal, everyday building's shape over there?

EDIT: Buildings aren't just rectangles but that's a general basis that we use for buildings.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. ItsChon Cipher Patron

ItsChon
    Fair enough, I did a shit job of explaining what I meant. Look at the two spoilers I posted.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

There is a fundamental difference in the way the buildings look. Again, I don't really know why, but something about the odd regularity of all the buildings and the shitty roofs just pisses me off. Why the fuck does every building have the same roof, and why do they all essentially look the same.

But again, my own autism about the way FO 1 & 2 look aside, my point is again, that there are plenty of things about Fallout 1 & 2 that can turn someone off of them. The graphics just being one of those things, the others being combat, UI, shitty pacing for the opening act of the game, and the lack of any really interesting dialogue in the first half of the game either.

• retadred retadred x 5
    ^ Top  
  20. existential_vacuum .PNG Police Patron

existential_vacuum
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Oh my God, why
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • quality shit quality shit x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    mfkndggrfll When are you going to make us a nice youtube video of all of this including gameplay footage?

^ Top  
  22. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    But to be fair, there are some valid reasons for why fallout graphic sucks. You're playing it on a modern monitor with large native resolutions and it screwed up the Fallout's delicate visual that's made up purely of rendered sprites. Using your monitor's native resolutions and everything is too small, playing it on 640x480 make everything so pixelated. I think people already posted workarounds for this problem somewhere but I forgot where it is.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ItsChon Cipher Patron

ItsChon
    Fallout 1& 2 both have restoration packs that actually clears it up. They make the games really crisp. My problem is pretty much only with the colors.
    http://www.killap.net/
    http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Restoration_Mod

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Those are universally recognized to be derpy (I don't mind the deathclaws that much, they're so heavily engineered/mutated that they can't really be considered a "talking animal" anymore, despite Avellone's views on the matter). New Reno would be a more divisive one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. steel legion Novice

steel legion
    So there is basically just one ''true'' fallout game and that is 1?

• No x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)