Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

12 reasons why F2 is a bad Fallout game

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by mfkndggrfll, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BING XI LAO Arcane

BING XI LAO
    I remember reading in school about an autistic kid who hated the colours brown and yellow:lol:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Theldaran Arbiter

Theldaran
    Brown is the colour of shit, you know.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    one doesn't have to
    - be autistic
    - hate a color
    to dislike a certain visual style :roll:

one example:
    green is my favorite color, yet I think this doesn't look very good:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

I don't necessarily "like" blue, but this looks pretty amazing:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Gentlemen, we have found mf-wtf-grll's alt.

That is all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Squadcar Learned

Squadcar
    He's not saying he dislikes the games' settings, just everything in game, even rectangular buildings.

He doesn't mind the color apparently, as you see it's the entire art style and direction.

^ Top  
  6. azimuth Educated

azimuth
    As someone who grew up with and loves Fallout 2, I've always thought Arroyo -> Den was the least interesting part of the game. The Klamath rat dungeon in particular is mind-numbing. My favourite sections are all post-Den, which of course is like 80-90% of the game. The Den and Klamath don't play into any of the overarching politics or cool interfactional politics at all, except maybe the Slavers' Guild to some extent.

The best parts for me are the rivalries between the various big cities and the way the smaller towns get swept up in it all. Unraveling the various plots to nab Redding through jet addiction or nab Vault City via Cold War-style merc pressure are the meat of the game. Everybody remembers the tension between Gecko and Vault City or spying on the Salvatores meeting in secret with the Enclave. That's really what the game's about IMO -- that and the ability to have a real choice in what happens in these struggles.

ItsChon, I know you're 18 and predisposed to hate the game for some reason, but I'd boot it back up and push through to New Reno. In lore terms, it's retarded, but it's also one of the most interesting parts of the game and jam-packed with seedy plots and politics.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Doesn't help that you also have the temple of trials before that.
    The beginning of FO2 is a complete slog.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Master Arbiter

Master
    Like that guy from the Cube. "This room is green"/"This game is brown"

^ Top  
  9. mfkndggrfll Learned Shitposter Bethestard

mfkndggrfll
    Thing actually get worse and worse as you progress past the Den.

VC was to me the best town as far as art style and lore goes, but everything else in it was dull. No interesting NPCs, a bunch of fedex quests with no moral ambiguity. I still remember the first time I hit VC, I was amazed, I was like ''This is it! This is the part where F2 becomes a proper Fallout game!''. I was wrong.

NCR also had an interesting background stuff but everything else about it was flawed. Most of the named NPCs were some bad jokes/references, quests were also uninteresting.

The rest isnt even worth talking about.

• STOP! posting x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. BING XI LAO Arcane

BING XI LAO
    I think it's fair to say Fallout 2 IS shit in parts, but it more than makes up for it in the game as a whole.
    Shit visuals often, but some locations are very cool and it captures the feel and theme of the wasteland well
    Shit start to the game but it gets really good later
    A little too much humour and references but it's not a big deal
    SHIT combat in terms of ''muh tactics'' but who cares when you get to see all those gory deaths and blow shit up?
    Main quest was obviously written by communist hippy libtards who hate america, but the execution of the questline was good and there were really nice sidequests, and plenty of them

etc

^ Top  
  11. azimuth Educated

azimuth
    Not much in that post to sink my teeth into as it's so vague. I already talked about how the Bishop / Moore / NCR / Vault City angle is about as morally ambiguous as it gets, but you ignored that post, so...

I mean, the entirety of VC is a big moral question mark. They're benevolent slavers who have a lot of tech on their hands, but they're hoarding it from the masses. On the one hand, their exclusivity ensures that there's a stable, civilized, safe hub in the wasteland -- but not for everybody. Open their doors and everything could be diluted to nothing as the masses fight over the relatively little bit of tech on hand. They're a bit like the BoS from FO1 in that respect.

How is finding a way into VC, or a way to become a VC citizen, or a way to access their vault a "fetch quest"? Nothing you're saying makes any sense to me.

VC was far from my favourite town, but it's cool. I think I prefer even Modoc and Broken Hills to VC overall.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. existential_vacuum .PNG Police Patron

existential_vacuum
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    This week on RPG Codex...
    [​IMG]
    ... will they succeed? YOU decide!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Theldaran Arbiter

Theldaran
    I'll allow them to succeed.

I don't mind if people think any given game is shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. BING XI LAO Arcane

BING XI LAO
    Calling games shit is prestigious, and the gooder the game the more prestigiouser it is to call it shit

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Primordia's shades of brown, yellow, and orange are very different from the ones in FO; and the art style is incredibly particular in Primordia. It's a gorgeous game, and with the proper art direction, almost any set of colors can be made to look beautiful. And I'd like to note, Primordia is a point-n-click adventure game, so the "desert" is actually all in the background, while I'm actually exploring a very tight space. I don't hate deserts, but I do want them done right.
    The combat is shit in terms of enjoying it, not tactics; but I digress. My main problem with FO 1 & 2, ignoring the combat and visuals and the beginning, was the fact that I didn't see the supposed quality dialogue and world building that the Fallout games had been heralded for. I was instantly hooked in PS:T, UnderRail, shit even IWD and BG did a good job of getting me hooked with their opening cinematics. FO has none of that, I really am not given a reason to give a single fuck. Does the dialogue get a marked improvement after after Klamath and The Den? Where does the game really pick up? Give me a point in the game, and I'll play like a half hour post that point.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Strange Fellow Arcane Patron

Strange Fellow
  17. Chippy Prophet

Chippy
    I still get a warm and fuzzy feeling thinking about my next F2 playthrough - the humor alone made it worthwhile. After I play F1 of course; just the thought of decending into the glow with a high science skill and hacking into all of the computers to get the history of the place and what happened after the war gives me a raging hard-on.
    What was the OP saying again?.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Oh good I can finally use this cute little gif the forum gods added while I was away... :shitposting:

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Master Arbiter

Master
    Ok then play the first half hour after that "war, war never changes" intro.
    :troll:

^ Top  
  20. Risewild Savant

Risewild
    Primordia was made in 2012 using a 30+ bit color (more than 6 million colors) capacity. That's more than 6 million colors against the 8 bit 255 ones possible back then on Fallout 1 and 2. Of course it will look better.
    You seem to misunderstand the limitations of hardware back then, the native resolution back then was also 640x480, that also affects how "crisp" colors can look. Not to mention that "flat" images (like those used for old adventure games) can show a better looking image than isometric (or in the case of classic Fallout games, trimetric) perspective. Which is another can of worms I don't really want to open.

For example, even Baldur's Gate (that has plenty of more colorful maps) colors are not crisp and can be blurry. Same for other games that share a similar "perspective" made around the same time.

Anyway, the point is that comparing a 2012 game looks and colors to a late 1990's one is (I'm sorry to say), ridiculous.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    ItsChon if you're bothered so much by how (I assume) the default looks of Fallout 1&2 as it was intended to on release day/at the time, then just fucking follow this guide by agris on how to make it looks much better and acceptable for a graphics-whore eyes as prescribed here
    It's the best of both world because not only does it makes it run and looks good on modern system, it also won't make you miss all the details like if you just force it scale and stretch all the way to the native resolution of most modern rigs.

That is, if you actually care about actually playing the game and not just what to shitpost like you're doing right now, mfkndggrfll.

^ Top  
  22. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    My biggest gripe is whenever people with poor reading comprehension try to make a point that has absolutely nothing to do with what I was trying to say. I brought up Primordia as a way of indicating that it was possible to create a game of primarily browns, yellows, oranges and reds, that looks somewhat decent; I wasn't trying to compare Fallout and Primordia. I understand the technical limitations at the time Fallout was being made, does that make the game look any better? As for games that had 8 bit color palettes, take a look at this quality post by MRY. Unless I'm mistaken, I think all of these games were also limited to an 8 bit color palette.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-importance-of-color.122985/#post-5716138

I mean shit, the screens to Legend of Kyrandia look fucking gorgeous, better than most of the games released today. They had the same 256 colors available to them that Fallout did. Alternatively, take a look at this post,

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-importance-of-color.122985/page-2#post-5716211

These are games created with 16 fucking colors, and they still look beautiful. As for you bringing up Baldur's Gate, I know that the colors weren't always crisp; my point is that despite that fact, it still is a far better looking game than either Fallout 1 & 2. The images in these posts make me want to actively figure out what game that is and play it, in the hope that there is an equally awesome game to supplement the art. The art in Fallout on the other hand actively hinders my play experience.

Read and understand before trying to claim what I'm saying is ridiculous.
    The only one shit posting is you. My issue isn't with the resolution of the game, or how crisp the graphics look. If you read my points instead of jumping to conclusions like a fanboy, you would have seen this post of mine.
    The Restoration Mods do exactly what you've described. I'm not a fucking "graphics whore", I just don't want to look at a piece of shit while I play the game.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    I recently barely made it out of the Temple of Trials with the Megamod because it is just so tedious and I have did it a million times. Then you have Arroyo-Den-Klamath which are just...dead. Not because of brown and yellow either which is admittedly stupid - It's a fucking desert.

Most replays stop at around that spot so people have played a thousand times all of those little shitty quests. Fallout 2 was great at the time, but in the grimdark world of 2018, the flaws are more apparent. Tons of locations that are not worth shit. Pop culture overload. San Francisco is goofy Big Trouble in Little China HELL. I don't understand how people fixate on New Reno when you have San Fran. At least New Reno was designed well.

To think we have hardly had any amazing Fallout games. We have hardly had any games like it at all. Maybe we should make another fantasy game with magick and a dark evil that is from the past here to take over the world.

^ Top  
  24. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    This notion that because we're in a desert the game has an excuse to look like shit is stupid. Another post by MRY says it better than I ever could,

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-importance-of-color.122985/page-2#post-5716171

But other than that, everything you've said is correct. I've made up my mind to retry the game and push past all the way to New Reno; as azimuth and others suggested, but people pretending the beginning of the game isn't enough to sufficiently turn anyone off from the rest of the game are delusional.

^ Top  
  25. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    :shitposting::shitandpiss:

Don't worry mate, the tags are coming for you anytime now

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)