Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking 1eyedking's List of Games Full of Tasteful Art Direction

1eyedking

Erudite
Very poor attempt at trolling.

Besides, everyone knows Ico has the best art direction of any video game ever. Of all time. Fucking period.
Ico is a very empty game, my friend. It's completely devoid of... anything.

Yeah. It needs more orange. Like San Andreas. Can't have too much orange.

914983_back.jpg

Oh. yeah. Hmmmmmmm.

*pinches nipples with lobster hands*

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Witcher is a classic everyone should play more than once? Next you're gonna tell me it's an intelligent game or something. :roll:

1eyedking

Erudite
Of course. Everything art related is top-notch with very few exceptions, be it music, writing, visual design, make-believe, world lore, politics, folk-feel, etc. Save for the Alvin time-space subplot, I've got little to no complains about the overall quality of the game's art. It supersedes gameplay on every fucking level.

@CK: Bad trolling attempt. Obvious bad quality photo is obvious. Nothing orange about GTA:SA, bro.

What do any of those three have to do with the actual game?
It's what you see and hear all the time. Ergo, they are the game, dumbfuck.
There are games without voice acting. There are games without cutscenes. There are games without music. There are admittedly not many games without all three, but they probably do exist.

Anyway, I don't think Doom was praised for its Nine Inch Nails music, which is solely remembered for nostalgia value. Otherwise, it did without voice acting or cutscenes. Was Doom not a game?

While I do not see any integrity in the opinions of this 1eyedking, you are truly no better. No wonder people call you a robot. You fail at basic human understandings

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You should post images from these games to prove they have proper art direction. Mere list will not be enough. In fact you forgot Shogun.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Doom 3, Icewind Dale 2, Diablo...really?
IWD2 and Diablo have great art, what's so hard to understand about that? I guess Doom 3 is artistically dark. It's not about fun, it's all about the quality of all the visuals/sounds/world building/and so on.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Doom 3 is bland. It may be dark but it feels too plastic. I get the feeling it's an in-between realism and try-too-hard-epicness.

But my question is: can we really evaluate art-direction by itself and totally detach from sound, music and the interactivity of the experience?

Edit: I fail at spelling.

1eyedking

Erudite
IWD2 and Diablo have great art, what's so hard to understand about that? I guess Doom 3 is artistically dark. It's not about fun, it's all about the quality of all the visuals/sounds/world building/and so on.
Exactly.

Also, I picked Doom 3 because it's got the best aerospace base design to this day. Incredibly believable stuff, plus it's got iD's trademark giant industrial machines (the one's they've doing since Quake 2) that leave a very good impression and feeling of power that inspire a lot of curiosity.

When people think about the future, particularly in space, they usually think it in terms of unbelievable, convoluted ship designs, the kind that wouldn't be able to get mass-produced (read: make-believe gets instantly destroyed), or impossible/ugly architecture that feels like it would be fucking impossible to build/maintain/repair and actually deterrent to productivity, and looks like a real deconstructivist nightmare.

Doom 3 did space bases with great style, and that's why it's got a place on the list.

But my question is: can we really evaluate art-direction by itself and totally detach from sound, music and the interactivity of the experience?
"Art direction" is an umbrella term for all of that. If you've got another word for it, shoot.

1eyedking

Erudite
1eyedking said:
[...]Wizardries, Jagged Alliances, King's Bounty[...]Europa Universalis[...] and other masterpieces brimming with cheap emo faggotry, elves and orcs in space, borked accents with incredibly exploitable gameplay mechanics, and pseudoartistic value.

You're not even trying.
Fixed.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Art direction" is an umbrella term for all of that. If you've got another word for it, shoot.
In that case...
1eyedking said:
Fallout 2
(more than the first - suck it down VD & Co.)
*Groan* :roll:
1eyedking said:
Icewind Dale
(avoid Trials of the Luremaster)
Icewind Dale II
No way, IE RTwP is unplayable, PS:T is the only game worth playing, due to the relatively low amount of forced clusterfuck combat and excellent everything else.​

DraQ

Arcane
When people think about the future, particularly in space, they usually think it in terms of unbelievable, convoluted ship designs, the kind that wouldn't be able to get mass-produced (read: make-believe gets instantly destroyed)
You mean unlike this:
nexus_04.jpg
?
And this:
nexus%20shot%201207%20160258.jpg
?

1ek, you're an intellectually bankrupt moron now, enjoy your impairment.

Edit:

1eyedking

Erudite
Intellectually bankrupt? I love it when people in this forum run out of arguments.

For fuck's sake the game you quoted plays slower than a fucking sedative.

As for the ship itself, it's pretty generic in a bad way. It's not even industrial, DraQ, it reeks 'fashion design statement' all over it: random spinning stuff for no apparent reason, indefinite ship part components, flashy rocket trail, unnecessary segmentations, needless crap everywhere. Sorry, you don't have good taste dear DraQ.

But you left me wondering...who the fuck plays this *shit*?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
No way, IE RTwP is unplayable, PS:T is the only game worth playing, due to the relatively low amount of forced clusterfuck combat and excellent everything else.​
Pause is your friend. Also, how far did you get into PST?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom