Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

1eyedking 1eyedking's List of Games Full of Tasteful Art Direction

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by 1eyedking, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Please don't encourage newfags

^ Top  
  2. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    Update:
    - Added The Witcher 3
    - Added GTA V

I upgraded my toaster to a future-proof rig, so I got to play a lot of new next-gen games!

Sadly, they mostly sucked; only three of them were truly good games --GTA V, MGS V, and TW3--, yet only one of them had truly amazing artistic stuff in it, so it's just one that goes to the top o' the chart.

• Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Thanks 1eyedking. You are one of the the most valued posters here.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Stick it where?

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    Stopped reading right there.

• butthurt butthurt x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Hey 1eyedking what do you think about the art direction in Rockstar's Manhunt?

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    I don't post much at all, what are you talking about? Also it's not like the glittering gem of hatred this place is likes me...
    My gaming tastes have changed a lot in the past ten years and I no longer hold 'gameplay' and 'choices and consequences' to be the holy chalice of gaming -- not that there's ever been much of that, either.
    Many projects have come out from the Codex recently, sporting C&C and "le deep gameplay" as their banner and have been nothing but a great disappointment: empty, dead shells imitating works from a golden era while forgetting completely about the artistic elements that are what makes a game truly memorable.

These are turbulent times in the land of the vidya. Not many a great game has come out in the past five years, and the wind brings nothing but ill tidings for the future.

They sport different kinds of art direction. The first one is more serious and has that first-time bonus, but it's bare-bones compared to the meatier dish the sequel provides. To put it bluntly, Fallout 1 is not the kind of game that lets you assassinate a senator by planting a bomb on his son and telling him to go play with daddy, or make a gravedigger catch the mine he just dug out while you give him a dark smirk and the empathy perk makes the line's text red...
    And to be honest, I tend to see both games as one (given they had the same engine and practically the same assets), so I have trouble separating them in my mind.

Let's just say they're both great.

Beyond the "le edgy game" vibe I'm getting from looking at its screenshots, I can't say much 'cause I never played it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    what do you mean when you say artistic? just the art style, creativity, atmosphere or are you factoring in game mechanics?

^ Top  
  9. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    Just the art style, creativity and atmosphere. Otherwise games with abysmal or bland mechanics such as Inquisitor and DOOM3 (respectively) wouldn't be there.

^ Top  
  10. Black Arcane

Black
    :thumbsup:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)