Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2003: The Year in Review

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I agree with that, but I'm not too keen on calling (all) dungeon crawlers roleplaying games either, despite the genre having its roots with them. ToEE, despite its flaws, still offer a lot more opportunities for roleplaying than Silent Storm where your choices amount to which area to attack.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Justr because a group calls a game an RPG doesn't make it so so as far as I'm concerned DS is not a crpg. I would call TOEE a crpg despite my problem with it. Haven't played Silent Storm so I'll pass on that. FO, whether it's a good or bad game, isn't a crpg. I mean, it's called Tatics for a reason, afterall. Heh.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Azael said:
I agree with that, but I'm not too keen on calling (all) dungeon crawlers roleplaying games either, despite the genre having its roots with them. ToEE, despite its flaws, still offer a lot more opportunities for roleplaying than Silent Storm where your choices amount to which area to attack.

Well, that's the thing about dungeon crawlers. Your choices are pretty much about attacking. However, Silent Storm has gobs of methods of attacking, gobs of options on how you do it, where you do it, and what you do it with class-wise. Hell, the fact the maps have multiple zones where you can strike from assuming you can move stealthy like to them, gives it more options than your standard dungeon crawl where you hit one entrance, funnel through, find the exit, then go deeper.

Of course, ToEE has several ways in to the dungeon, but most don't.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Spazmo said:
I don't think we have enough to go on for a preview of 2004.

As for Fargo, I may be wrong on this one, but I do believe he left Interplay before 2003, which is why I didn't put him into an article about 2003.

I think he left early 2002. I remeber reading an interiview about it.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
That was a damn fine article that cleared up a lot of confusion I had over the whole Interplay issue. It also made me very sad :(.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom