Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial 2013: The Year in Review

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by DarkUnderlord, Feb 22, 2015.

1. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Tags: bitComposer; Chaos Chronicles; Divinity: Original Sin; Expeditions: Conquistador; Kickstarter; Paper Sorcerer; Shadowrun Returns; South Park: The Stick of Truth; The Year in Review; THQ; Wasteland 2

Do you enjoy reminiscing? Looking back on years past as if the years that followed them hadn't happened yet? Well, since everything in 2013 got postponed, we thought it gave us the perfect excuse to postpone the 2013 Year in Review.

Until now. We look back on the games that were released:

... and finally, not forgetting (even though I actually did and Infinitron had to remind me) Expeditions: Conquistador. In a sign of the year that 2013 was, it first got delayed until February 28, before being postponed, then publishers getting involved (note bitComposer, we have more on them later), drama with publisher being resolved before game being released and reviewed.​

... the games that weren't:

Moving on to other legal stoushes and stories of inanity from 2013, we have Chaos Chronicles. It was supposed to be a turn-based, old-school, classic... and other buzzwords we like to hear... RPG under development by CorePlay. It started the year by putting its official forums on the Codex.

And it was all downhill from there.​

... the publishers that died:

... and they died. THQ that is, not Trey Parker or Matt Stone. The remains of the company were acquired by UbiSoft which, after some concern about what kind of limbo the game would end up in, did confirm they would complete the game.​

... the delays:

If 2012 was the year that gave rise to the KickStarter, then 2013 was the year of delayed incline. For all those who thought release dates for KickStarter projects of just one year later were a tad optimistic, you were right, as several major projects got delayed.​

... the birth of Steam Early Access:

Long-time gamers would know that video games don't get finished, they just get released. Often in a horribly buggy and unfinished state that then requires multiple follow-up patches. In many cases, the game fails to sell enough copies, the patches never materialise (or some legal road block from the publisher gets in the way) and that's the end of that. You'll take your buggy unplayable piece of shit and you'll like it.

Not so anymore! 2013 finally saw the year when the standard industry model... actually became the standard industry model. And it pretty much happened that quickly.​

... and more!

It may give you a weird feeling reading it now since we talk about games "slated for a 2014 release" that have been out for months. But come with us now, on a journey through time and space, back to 2013.

• Brofist Brofist x 22
    ^ Top  
  2. Eddas Learned

Eddas
    On the delayed section you forgot Grimoire.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    That will be delayed until the end of time, so no use mentioning it every single year.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Eddas Learned

Eddas
    One can always dream...

^ Top  
  5. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    :salute:

^ Top  
  6. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    The most bullshit excuse I've accepted in a long time.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  7. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It was an excellent excuse.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. turul Scholar

turul
    It's the major reason I stopped browsing Steam. Unbearable. I need to know what game is released and I search for that title only.

It's becoming like Netflix. The sewage pit of the shittiest movies ever made

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's like poetry, it rhymes.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Better late than never.

^ Top  
  11. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    As much of a mixed bag 2013 was, it was still better for CRPGs than 2012. And it looks like 2014 will surpass it with games like D:OS and Shadowrun Returns being improved upon by Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and so on. So maybe we are witnessing incline after all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Absalom Guest

Absalom
    As much I would like to shitpost I find myself honestly not remembering anything about 2013 (At least in regards to CRPG's :kingcomrade:)

^ Top  
  13. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    DarkUnderlord
    Somehow I really like your introductions to your articles, too.
    The link to South Park is actually linking to a codex news message for Shadwrun Returns. Therefore it's missing from who the quote to South Park is (maybe you should mention it in the article anyway regardless of a proper link).

2013 has it all: drama and action. Except rpgs, they are really missing.

And DU is using complicated words: proselytization. Never heard of that word before.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    ^ Top  
  14. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Morkar: Fixed the link. And as for proselytization, hey, I'm just quoting our review.

^ Top  
  15. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    I'm pleased to see Dragon Commander didn't even get a token mention.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Just cut & paste that part each year...;)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. CyberP Unwanted

Unwanted
    2013 in review:

CyberP joined and blessed the community with pure incline.
    DarkUnderlord was caught jacking off to Codex Star Stable playthroughs.
    A load of shit games were released as is standard.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  19. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  20. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    *looks at calendar*

*polishes monocle*

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I said it all the way back in June:
    Of course I meant this as a justification for having it in June, not the year after, but whatever works.

As Micro said it was a great read and I wish DU wrote mote content. I miss the DU wall-of-text reviews ranting about everything up to and including how many splash screens there are and which ones are skippable.

^ Top  
  22. Crispy I HAVE EVOLVED (again) Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    This still cracks me up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. One day your name will be right up there next to his.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Fireblade Augur

Fireblade
    Avadon 2's missing from the list but did come out in 2013. Sadly, the year was so bad it may have been one of the highlights.

^ Top  
  25. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It was a nice piece of content. DU should write more, and should definately post 2014 fairly soon. The year of incline should not be delayed!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)