Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2017 - The year of (TB) Squad Tactics

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last year was pretty good on this front I got to agree, but 2017 has some really promising games coming up I must say.

Codex favorite Battle Brothers should be out in a couple of months. Personal favorite here as well. Then we have Xenonauts 2 and from what I'm understanding the Kickstarter for it will start some day in March. Might be a tight release for 2017 but I believe in Chris! Let's not forget End State which I also believe is scheduled for this year with the alpha test-thing coming out soon.

There is also the game Shock Tactics in the making by a German team, but I'm really unsure on the release date for this game. It looks interesting though! Another game that makes me unsure is our resident Codexers Whalenought Studios game Copper Dreams. It might or it might not get released this year, but if it does it just adds to this already pretty good list.

Possible 5 nice combat focused turn-based games coming out. It might actually make 2017 worth living :)

Then on the role-playing front we have Divinity 2: Orginal Sin, Torment: Tides of Numenera and Expeditions: Viking. Not too shabby!

I also hope Jon Shafer's 4x game At The Gates gets released this year as well. But going by the forum and Twitter it doesn't look too good unfortunately.

I guess I'm missing a couple of games as well, so feel free to fill me in!

Edit:
Updated with list!

1280px-Decorative_text_divider_3.svg.png

TB Squad Tactics:
RPG:
SRPG:
RT Squad Tactics:
  • Westlingers (Realtime, Cowboy-themed, Squad Tactics) RELEASED - 86% rating on Steam
  • M.E.R.C (Realtime, cyberpunk, Squad Tactics) It's in EA, but gone from steam. Dead?
  • Thunder Tier One (Realtime, 1980's setting, Top-down Shooter) Q4 2017
  • Fear Effect Sedna (Realtime with paus, modern setting) 2017 release

1280px-Decorative_text_divider_3.svg.png

Will update with dates & more games!

(Updated 2017-11-01)

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
I'm looking forward to Pathway by Robotality, but don't know it's release date. And who knows when LOX2 and Banner Saga 3 come out? There's also Stygian Reign of the Old Ones on the RPG front.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah, yeah. Their first game Half-way was enjoyable. Pathway looks like it could be something special. Man, 2017 could become really awesome, I just hope all this comes out with no long delays.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Noticed an Early Access game on Steam called "Pit People" -- 626 reviews at Overwhelmingly Positive; seems like a We Go system with a Chaos General aesthetic.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
General Chaos was a damn fun game, if you mean the old Megadrive game? Not sure about Pit People though, just don't seem to be my thing from the video.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
True, totally missed that one. What is the consensus so far? It looks good?

Mustawd

People are butthurt about rules not being 100% faithful. That's all I know so far.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It doesn't have specialized melee weapons either, all your mech can do is punch, kick, shoulder check, or goomba-stomp.

Zetor

Arcane
Does Stellar Tactics count? Vigilantes too, though I'm not sure it's out in 2017.

If you don't mind some weeb, there's also a bunch of indie SRPGs coming out this year: Hellenica, Children of the Zodiarcs, etc.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Even more, I have to set up a list. Wish I had better release information :)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
All right, found two more games. They are not turn-based, but they are Squad Tactical -games so I thought I would mention them at least.

Fist one is M.E.R.C. It's a real time squad tactics game set in a dystopian cyberpunk future. I guess it's a bit like Syndicate since it seems you will be fighting other corporations and stuff like that. It recently entered early access and according to their steam page it will stay there a few months for polishing and feedback.

I asked about either the game would focus on single-player or multi-player on their Steam forum and I got this answer from a developer;

M.E.R.C. is geared around the single player experience.

The Co-op multiplayer experience ties into the single player world. We wanted Co-op to feel like an extension of that core single player narrative. So Co-op missions are presented as if you were either hiring another mercenary group to help your team or you're partnering with another mercenary group to assist them.

The campaign, or Story, as we're calling it, will be linear BUT we do have (and will have) non-linear mission content as well. Currently, among the story missions, you'll see side missions spawning onto the world map. These are procedurally generated missions that have different levels of difficulty, objectives and rewards. In addition to the side missions, we're planning to introduce 'Campaigns', which will be a collection of missions that will have its own mini-story aside from the main story.

So hopefully this will give the game an open-world feel. You can pick which missions you want to undertake and which missions you wish to ignore BUT ultimately to move the main story along you'll need to complete those particular missions.

Another game that I have on my wish-list is Thunder Tier One. It's a top down real time tactical shooter, but more in the style of Zombie Shooter and the likes. The game will enter early access in Q1 2017, so I'm guessing soon. According to their Steam page it will be in EA for about 6 months, so if we are lucky it will get fully released during this year. This game will have a campaign mode, but from what I gather the game will be more multi-player focused - co-op and PvP.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Ah damn, brother down I guess.

Will add the The Feud to the list.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some games off the top of my head I'm keeping an eye on, I don't know if any is worth adding to the list :
- the Voidspire Tactics sequel by Rad Codex, codename : more tactics
- Age of fear 3, judging by this Steam thread
- Liege
- Depth of Exctinction is stated for 2017, not saying it's likely
- Flamberge
- Street Posse Showdown
- Overland, I'm still not sure if this one could be good
- Demons Age

Also following Seven Dragon Saga, Bevontule, Fae Tactics and The Iron Oath which probably don't have a planned release date, but are all very unlikely to come in 2017.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom