Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
We already have a similar thread in the RPG Forums. But I think one for other game genres is needed.
Basically post non-RPG's, that will come out this year, that you think are worthy to be called good. But when mention a game, please include some sort of footage.

Starting off with the obvious greatest incline of this year:

The juggernaut of the action genre is back!
11 year after the DMC4, when the series was thought long dead, the creator of DMC3 and Dragon's Dogma (Hideaki Itsuno) surprised everyone at E3 2018 with a stylish trailer featuring Nero and Dante, claiming this was his best work yet. Tall order considering the quality of DMC3 and DMC4 (despite the latter's disappointing and unfinished campaign).
However, given all the footage we were shown, and the demos available, it has become clear that this sequel has surpassed it's predecessors in both gameplay and enemy design. The only aspect left that can break this game's claim as one of the best action titles yet, is it's campaign.
The hype is high for this one. Can Capcom and Itsuno succeed in meeting the expectations?

Release Date: 8 March
Codex Thread

I think there's a very good chance FROM delivers a good game with Sekiro.
They seem to have changed the gameplay significantly to perhaps have something fresh with it. Something they quite need after the disappointment that was Dark Souls 3, and the fact "Souls Clones" are popping up left and right now - with the "Souls Label" becoming something of a meme now.

Release Date: 22 March
Codex Thread

From Team Ninja, the developers of another behemoth of the action genre (the Ninja Gaiden series), and the sexy bikini chicks fighting game series (Dead or Alive), comes a sequel to the pleasant surprise that was NIOH.
This game is still largely shrouded mystery.
Nevertheless, the first NIOH has a very good game. Possessing very well designed enemies, razor-sharp challenge and a simply excellent combat system.
The devs have stated that in the first one they holded back a lot during development, seeing that they were designing a different style of approach to combat they weren't used to, and had very little idea how would the players react. For the sequel, "the gloves are off" they stated.
So one can reasonably hope this sequel will maintain, or surpass, the first one's quality.

Release Date: Unknown (possible 2019 release)
Codex Thread

Next one is another Remake of a famous franchise.

While it can be said that :neveraskedforthis:, Zelda: Link's Awakening DX is still one of the best entries in the series.
So a remake is nice I guess...

Release Date: 2019
Codex Thread

For this next one, is one I know most of you will rate my post retarded, decline and probably put me on ignore. But fuck it.

Like I said so many times, nu-DOOM is not near as good as any of the originals. But it is none the less an overall good game - and pretty much the only good AAA single-player shooter in the last decade (if not longer).
All this sequel needs to become a great game is to make the guns more satisfying to use, improve the level design and add some more enemies (and additionally come with a map making tool that isn't severely capped to accommodate consoles low memory).

Codex Thread

Overall I think we'll have some good incline this year - when it comes to AAA it seems to be mainly from Jap devs, but incline is incline.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There will a sequel for Nioh-Nioh? k'
Wake me up when FROM drops that overrated rolling formula and return to first person RPGs like they used to develop back then.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Sequels and reboots, hooray.

What's so bad about sequels?

Wake me up when FROM drops that overrated rolling formula and return to first person RPGs like they used to develop back then.

FROM will not be making a King's Field or Shadow Tower anytime soon. You should look forward to Monomyth instead.
However Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 are pretty much King's Fields in third person.
For Sekiro, they seem to be trying to mix in some Tenchu elements (stealth and grappling hook).

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
FROM will not be making a King's Field or Shadow Tower anytime soon. You should look forward to Monomyth instead.
However Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 are pretty much King's Fields in third person.
For Sekiro, they seem to be trying to mix in some Tenchu elements (stealth and grappling hook).
I know that Demon Soul's are like King's Field in TPP, but past DaS2 and beyond it's hit and miss due to some elements being ignored or overly focused on, not to mention less grim overall.
Getting something else like Sekiro without stink of Souls should help.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
ION MAIDEN will come out this year as well.
No words are needed for this one.

Release Date: Q2 2019
Codex Thread

Sequel to "Ori and the Blind Forest".

While I dislike the artsy faggotary, the first game was a good platformer so...

Codex Thread

Last two DLC's for the KickStarter sucess, Shovel Knight.
One DLC will add another playable character and campaign, the other brings a multiplayer deathmatch mode.

For anyone who still hasn't played Shovel Knight and appreciates good platformers, do yourself a favor and at least try the main game.
Despite it's NES appearance for the sake of nostalgia, this is indeed a well crafted and challenging experience.

Release Date: 9 April
Kingcomrade Codex Thread
Codex Thread

Next up, another DLC!

In addition to this DLC, the team behind Enderal (Sure AI) have also created a Steam page for it.
For those of you who don't know, Enderal: Shards of Order, is a total conversion mod for Skyrim. And a very good one it must be said.
The devs are clear Gothic fans (shocker considering they're German), as quest, exploration and world design are the strongest aspects to this game.
However since the game is a Skyrim mod, combat and other technical aspects are not very good. For that I recommend installing the following mods: Wild Cat Combat, Attack Commitment, TK Dodge, Skyrim - Enhanced Camera, Realistic AI Detection, No Essential City Guards (for Enderal), Fire and Ice Overhaul, Ultimate Dragons and a no red dots and location markers on compass mod.
It's also compatible with Frostfall in case you want to make a Survival playtrough.
And if in the end you want more content by Sure AI, then you are in luck because they've made other conversion mods for TES games. Arktwend and Myar Aranath for Morrowind. And Nehrim for Oblivion, which is also really fucking good.

Released on Febuary 14.
Codex Thread

While searching for worthwhile shit to post, found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Worlds_II#Sequel
Two Worlds III said:
Sequel
In March 2016, a sequel was announced, titled Two Worlds III. It is set for release at some point in 2019
Not incline, just... weird. Who the fuck still remembers, or cares for Two Worlds?

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well if it's a good game then it's eligible to be here.
However a bit more details would help people here to decide if the game's worth a try.

Resident Evil 2 (2019).

Be warned as this is not really a remake, but more of a re-imagining of the 2nd classic RE. The game follows the basic premise, story events and is set in the same locations of the original, but that's where the similarities end. Has the game features vastly different gameplay and re-designed levels.

Released on January 25
Codex Thread

MORDHAU

A Multiplayer game, set in medieval times.
The game offers large scale battle (up to 64 players), sieges, mounted combat and various game modes - from classic deathmatch, to a more Battlefield experience with Frontline, Co-Op and even more modern trends with a Battle Royale mode.
The game's main feature however is a deep, challenging, skill based and very fine tuned combat system. A system that manages to improve on it's Mount & Blade and Chivalry inspirations.
The game will also include diverse customization options, bots, dedicated servers and mod tools.

Release Date: 29 April
Codex Thread

High hopes for this next one.

Clearly inspired by the beloved classics as SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six 3, "Ready Or Not" is VOID Interactive's first project and attempt at reviving the close quarters intensity of single player Tactical Shooters.
The game features an array of different weapons and tools, projectile dynamics (realistic range, bullet penetration, ricochet, etc...), precise collision detection, local damage, planning phase and even Multiplayer modes (Co-Op and Competitive) for those of you who want a more grounded and less meta version R6 Siege.
Can VOID proudly relight the Tactical Shooter torch?

Release Date: SOON
Codex Thread

Switching things up a little, next a racing game.

While I am not very much into more simulational games, someone who's opinion I trust holds the first DiRT Rally in high regard. And considering that when it comes to these types of games the developers don't tend to fuck around when they got something going, I figure this one belongs here as well.
It was even released yesterday. Coincidence!

Released on February 26
Codex Thread

Finally a fighting game.

This is also a totally unexpected surprise, very similar to DMC5 since like it, the last game of the series has been released 11 years ago, and the interest for the series seemed all but dead.
Fortunately good things can happen, and SNK has decided to revive the franchise for another Showdown. The question is, can they hold up or even build upon their predecessors?

Release Date: Early Summer
Codex Thread

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's good but not a masterpiece.

On any fair scale it's like a 6 or 7 out of 10.

This

Still, like I said, if it is a legitimately good game, it deserves recognition. Unfortunately these last 10 years or more, mostly bad games get praise.

Still the more I look at this list (and the past years), it becomes painfully clear that AAA western gaming is all but dead. Only Japs seem to be able to release good AAA shit.
However, more and more western indie seem to be making quality experience. Hopefully they will maintain their apparent passion, grow to AAA levels and get rid of these incompetent numbskulls that are infecting the western scene.

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
Wait, what? Why is there a reference to Coil in the Ready or Not trailer? :o

2019-02-28-03-15-49-Ready-Or-Not-Reveal-Trailer-4-K-You-Tub.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Koji Igarashi Kickstarter is finally upon us:

For those you who don't know, back in 2015, the man I mentioned above, launched a Kickstarter campaign to secure the funding for his spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night. Thanks to the promise of a quality product, good marketing and a somewhat theatrical pitch, the campaign was a resounding success with funding of $5.5M, far surpassing the base goal of $500.000.
Consequence of this surprising success was the bonus title released last year called "Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon", which is more reminiscent of the 8-bit Castlevania titles such as Castlevania I, II and particularly III.
However the main dish is finally due this year, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
Does Igarashi still have what it takes to make a well crafted Metroidvania?

Release Date: Summer 2019
Codex Thread

A new Super Meat Boy.

The first was a nice game. I wouldn't call it a great or memorable platformer, but it was good and fairly difficult.
It also occupied very little space in the hard drive and didn't needed to be installed, so it could be played even from a usb flash drive - ah the memories of playing this shit during classes...

Release Date: April 2019
Codex Thread

A Total War game set in the Three Kingdoms period.

I only played Shogun 1 back when I was a wee lad, so I don't know how this series stands nowadays quality-wise.
But I really did like Shogun back in the day. Still have fond memories of baiting armies into valleys and massacre them.

Release Date: May 23
Codex Thread

Yet another Warhammer game:

Codex Thread

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A lot of shitty games in this thread. Only good ones i saw are Enderal and maybe end state,the rest is garbage.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A lot of shitty games in this thread. Only good ones i saw are Enderal and maybe end state,the rest is garbage.

A mod for skyrim cant be a good game
Well actually i am having a blast with it,the writing is great and the level design is good. From what i got,it is written by the same dude that did the writing in spellforce 3,and that game had the best writing in the last few years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom