Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2D Metal Gear games

Are they worth playing?

Ok, original one is for sure the one I'll skip thanks to AVGN material but what about MG2:SS and Ghost Babel? I'm very curious of Metal Gear 2 plot, how's Snake going to kill Sean 'The Big Boss' Connery but gameplay feels pretty clunky (unlike Gameboy MGS), did any of Codexers bother to beat both of them and can share your impressions?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Ghost Babel is the Game Boy one, right?

I thought it was pretty great. I played it like almost 20 years ago though, so maybe my view has changed if I go back but I recall thinking it was one of the best games on the Game Boy. They even managed to put in VR missions.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I also only played GB one and my opinion is the same. Thought was a great achievement for the console.

Viata

Arcane
MSX version(1 and 2) are really great games and a must play if you want to play 2D Metal Gear.
NES version sucks, both 1 and 2, the second game has nothing to do with Kojima(and Metal Gear) and not even worth your time.
The GB one is great and one of the best metal gear spin-off.

Shinji

Savant
Metal Gear 2 has some interactions that were basically adapted to Metal Gear Solid but in 3D, such as having to follow a soldier to the bathroom, a fight with a Hind D, and so on.

It's a good game, and it also has a pretty good OST

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The GB one is great and one of the best metal gear spin-off.

I wish it had a sequel, on the Gameboy, GBA, or major consoles. One thing I liked about it that it had none of the Patriots type plotlines in it, just two US government agencies having a powerplay against each other and screwing other people in the process.

Xmantis

Novice
I only played a bit of MG1 (came with MGS3HD I think) and yeah that one can be skipped, the gameplay is ass and most of the ideas were reused (and better) in MGS1.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
MG2:SS is a pretty good game, and is basically an MGS in 2D. The first one is alright but not one I'd particularly recommend to a non-hardcore MG fan.

Also, this remix of an MG2 tune is lit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Both MG1 and 2 are good.
MG1 is the one that feels less like a MG game and more like a stealth game - there's no focus on story. While MG2 is the otherway around. In fact MGS1 is pretty much a remake of MG2 in 3D, since it has the same story beats and design structure both in gameplay and level design.

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Metal Gear 2 is definitely an example why Japanese action-adventure games on consoles and home computers were superior to most European and American titles during the 80s and early half of the 90s.

I owned the big box version of MG2 for a while before I decided to sell it along with my other MSX2 collected games. I still rather miss that game.
Oh production value was also great on it, quite some MSX2 games had really nice boxes and content that put Western game boxes to shame.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom