Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

2K Games Begging Fans to Support Loot Boxes

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Abhay, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Abhay Scholar

Abhay
    Parrots:
    After EA, Its 2K games begging fans to Support Loot Boxes, “Contact Your Local Government,” Says the Company

2K Games has shared a post on its official website, begging fans to support loot boxes. The publisher asked fans to contact local Govt and ask them to give free-hand to developers to implement loot boxes in NBA 2K19. Belgium and Netherlands have banned loot boxes which means 2K Games cannot implement this predatory feature in NBA 2K19 or any other game they may release in the future.

After losing the battle with Belgian Gaming Commision, 2K posted to gather sympathies from the gaming community in Belgium and Netherlands. The company apologized for “any inconvenience” the lack of loot boxes may cause.

I am glad to see BGC taking a strong stand against the microtransactions in game. Its unfortunate to see companies like 2K stoop this low.
    What do you guys think about this development? Will this really have any effect on GTAs future, and currently slated for release RDR 2?

• Funny x 13
    • not sure if serious x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Parrots:
    Well since they asked so nicely.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I'm still not 100% sure what lootboxes even are, because none of the games I play feature this thing. Maybe lootboxes are a tax on bad taste, who knows?

What I do know is that I REALLY envy the cleverness of whoever came up with this new retard-money-milking-scheme. DAMN it's like "retardonomics" is a VERY profitable field of studies and I should've gone for that instead of Law.

• Brofist x 6
    • Edgy x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    Parrots:
    "Write to your local government explaining why they should encourage their citizens to be addicted to giving money to a foreign corporation"

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]
    Basically 2K Execs right now

• Funny x 7
    • Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Parrots:
    EA Sports, it's in the Courts

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I can't blame them for trying, nor am I actually shocked that they do so. What I am wondering is : is it actually working ? Are people actually contacting their representatives for this ?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Telengard Arcane

Telengard
    Parrots:
    No.

It might delay it for some months while they adapt one of the other, many psychological techniques for extracting money from the emotionally vulnerable.

The whole lootbox craze adapted from collectible card games is terrible. It was terrible many decades ago, and it will continue being terrible for many decades to come. Society can outlaw the practice, but business doesn't change on a dime, so even if society goes to an outright ban, there will be decades more of business attempting to finesse the governing laws. Like some stupid gamer banging his head against the wall over and over when some cheap tactic that worked against early enemies suddenly stops working when the enemies change, but the stupid gamer just keeps using the same cheap tactic anyways, business will keep trying to make money the way it made money before.

But while the lootboxes of last century may soon die, the overall tactic of psychologically manipulating the emotionally vulnerable in order to take their money, that concept is here to stay.

As for the company asking their audience to write to their legislators to "fix" their game after the removal of lootboxes breaks one of the core progress mechanics? Their audience would have done that anyways. The emotionally vulnerable are, indeed, emotionally vulnerable, and they spent some of the proceeds of their toil on some piddling entertainment, and the entertainment got broken, so they will want -- need -- it to be fixed. The company could rework the game, sure, but they are already taking a loss by the removal of one of their planned monetary conduits, so sending the game back into development for reprogramming and subsequent rebalancing would just make the financial hole even larger. Sometimes it's better for the company's survival to just write it all off as a loss.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Arbiter

Fedora Master
    Parrots:
    I dunno, they might convince me if they bought this here mystery box that may or may not contain my vote.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Pound Meat Literate

Pound Meat
    Parrots:
    They should have put a franchise mode in All-Pro 2k8 then and not killed the series with the first damn game.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Generic-Giant-Spider Scholar

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Parrots:
    I hope they go bankrupt and they're forced to go homeless and live the rest of their days warding off diseased rats under a city bridge for a piece of discarded pizza.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. HeatEXTEND Liturgist

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    :hahyou:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)