Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

-

Last edited by a moderator:

zool

Arcane
Took you long enough.

Seriously though, I hope indies will save the day.

1eyedking

Erudite
There is no hope.

Not only are game mechanics worse than ever before, but art direction is completely dead. Artists who previously inspired themselves on the works of Caspar David Friedrich now dedicate themselves to making clown costumes.

And this is happening in every artistic field and entertainment medium, it's not just games. They're related, and the reason why the videogame industry was able to create some very good material was because it was new.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am nostalgic about times when I actually got emotionally invested in videogame discussions. :D

Oh, how much I would love to go back to days when I actually gave a damn! :lol:

Said this before and I'll say it again.

The "decline" is intentional. It's part of the agenda. Could they do better? Yes. But declining the human race is more important right now, as they guide us through their fake "armageddon"/blue beam project.

Here's another one: The weather disasters are 100% manufactured by chemtrails and HAARP installations.

TripJack

Hedonist
Reptilian Shapeshifter said:
The "decline" is intentional. It's part of the agenda. Could they do better? Yes. But declining the human race is more important right now, as they guide us through their fake "armageddon"/blue beam project.

Here's another one: The weather disasters are 100% manufactured by chemtrails and HAARP installations.

this one has also realized the truth

seize him

Jive One

Educated

I like your gimmick :salute:

It really boils down to the business aspect. You can still make a relatively cheap quality game and make a profit off of it, but there's a lot of effort and risk involved and I imagine a lot of potential developers just don't want to mess with it. The big boys of course feel the need to sell tons and tons of copies and so they aim for the lowest common denominator.

The same phenomenon can be seen in the lit industry. You have these formulaic spec. fiction novels left and right and people will eat that shit up. That said, the costs of writing and publishing are miniscule compared to developing an electronic game, so you still have some worthwhile literature being written as well.

On the other hand a few decades ago Hemingway was a "popular" author whereas now you have your Stephanie Meyers and George RR Martins. :decline:

Gord

Arcane
Jive One said:
On the other hand a few decades ago Hemingway was a "popular" author whereas now you have your Stephanie Meyers and George RR Martins. :decline:

A whole lot of pulp/banal-shit-boring-literature authors have been popular, too, only nowadays nobody remembers them any more. Likewise in a few decades Stephanie Meyers will probably be lost in time as well and only students of history or literature will know them from their seminar about obscure authors from the late 20th and early 21st century.

Who knows how games will do? I doubt that Call of Duty 15 or Medal of Honor 6 will be remembered as an important contribution to arts, history or mankind in general.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I GUESS MOST OF YOU GUYS COULD FUCK OFF THEN OR GO SOMEWHERE THAT CARES

CONGRATS ON THE NEW AND ORIGINAL OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO REPTIALLIAN MAN SHIT I FORGOT YOU WERE SPREADINING THE TRUTH

EVIL COPRORATE HONCHOS DECIDED THAT ALTHOUGH COMPLEX STAT BASED AND DIFFICUL GAMES WOULD APPEAL MORE TO THE MASSES THEY DECIDED THAT THEY WOULD FORGO PROFTS AND RELEAESE ONLY STUPID GAMES FOR AS LONG AS IT TOOK TO RUIN THE WORLD

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

:thumbsup:

BLOBERT said:

EVIL COPRORATE HONCHOS DECIDED THAT ALTHOUGH COMPLEX STAT BASED AND DIFFICUL GAMES WOULD APPEAL MORE TO THE MASSES THEY DECIDED THAT THEY WOULD FORGO PROFTS AND RELEAESE ONLY STUPID GAMES FOR AS LONG AS IT TOOK TO RUIN THE WORLD

that's why I love the codex. :clap:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SKYWAYS MEANS THAT THE GRAPHICS ARENT GOOD ENOUGH IN THE INDIES

DraQ

Arcane
Spellcaster said:
Decline, you say? Extinction of turn based RPGs? Dumbing down? Industry reduced to two or three genres?

Yeah yeah, we all know about those things, we're all tired of criticizing and bashing all of it. But it always seemed somewhat "distant", so to speak. It's as if all those bad design decisions and franchise rapes were just a fuel to this weird hobby that consists in going to the internet to throw your tomatoes on all the silly developers while at the same time having a good laugh with lots of people around the globe that share your viewpoint and present them in "amusing" ways, such as images, gifs and so on. Like a big, strange party full of "hahahaha, look how terrible the new shit is" and similars.

Then we come to this evening. I should've been studying or doing something useful but I was randomly browsing up until the point where I got to Chris Sawyer's site. "What a great, talented designer he was" I thought. Visions from my past flooded my mind and I remembered the great times I had with RollerCoaster Tycoon. I felt the urge to listen to RCT's merry-go-round music and started listening to this while reading his page. Then I opened the "news section" and saw that his last entry was a June 2005 note. Then it all started. A terrible, haunting, disturbing feeling of "oh my fucking god, all of this shit is real, I'm living in one of the worst declines ever witnessed by men".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6wyBir_P1k <- fitting video commentary.

Gord said:
Jive One said:

A whole lot of pulp/banal-shit-boring-literature authors have been popular, too, only nowadays nobody remembers them any more. Likewise in a few decades Stephanie Meyers will probably be lost in time
...like tears turds in (d)rain...

:oops:
Couldn't help myself, sorry.

anus_pounder

Arcane
ghostdog said:

BLOBERT said:

that's why I love the codex. :clap:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom