Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

-

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Even if this game had the greatest achievement in graphics known to all Mankind, it's still fucking shit. So who cares.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Dark Messiah is a game featuring small, enclosed environments, running on an engine designed entirely for that purpose. I think it's worth keeping in mind that, when it tries to do large outdoor areas, it really does not hold up very well... which of course is precisely Bethesda's strength.

deuxhero

Arcane
Pre-Oblivion anyways.

Was just playing Dark Messiah... and in that same chapter not less! Why's the belt so huge?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Though I honestly do not give a fuck about anything Bethesda anymore I don't think that the graphics are that bad. I mean, there really is nothing wrong with this.

elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110211094552237.jpg

The animations on the other hand...

Raapys

Arcane
Not really sure I'd say it's Bethesda's strength. I mean, Morrowind p.much always ran poorly and so did Oblivion. Or rather, when you threw in some mods to actually fill the game world, the games would start running like crap. Oblivion with the Nehrim mod will easily take my 3.8ghz quad core and Radeon 5870 down to unplayable fps, regardless of my graphical settings, depending on where I am in the world. Morrowind would run like crap on my P4 3ghz if I used the 'city expansion' or MoreNPCs mods back in the day.

So yeah...if it seems to run well with large areas, it's probably just because they don't fill them up. They save the detail for indoor areas, which are separate cells. Personally I'm more impressed with the Gothic games' engine, since it does everything Bethesda's gamebryo engine does, but with more(outdoors) detail and no separate cells.

FatCat

Educated
sea said:
Dark Messiah is a game featuring small, enclosed environments, running on an engine designed entirely for that purpose. I think it's worth keeping in mind that, when it tries to do large outdoor areas, it really does not hold up very well... which of course is precisely Bethesda's strength.

This 100x times this.Comparing Source engine to gameBryo is retarded.

+ PC version of Skyrim will have hi-res textures , this is xbox screen-shot.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
ITT we learn that xbawks screenshots use lower texture resolutions than pc screenshots.

Mind = blown.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ITT Trash forgets about Bethesda's prerendered screenshot tradition.
On pre-release screenshots Oblivion's faces also looked good.
How it turned out to be... well...

Also Skyrim which is made for 7 years old hardware has worse graphics than a game made for 5 years old hardware? No way.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I look forward to seeing the Bethesda specialty of extremely wooden and mechanical npc interactions. Glorious modern 3D first person view is 100% immersion that puts isometric view to shame except when the people behave like malfunctioning pod people androids.

circ

Arcane
As mentioned already, they can't do consistency in textures. And also, it can't be that hard to make good hair, if modders can release 200 original haircuts in two days, you're telling me some idiot professional artists can't make 14 in 3 years?

Also, dead creepy eyes. I saw a screenshot of this in some PC mag scan, and it was dithered and all, but I thought oh wow, Bethesda has learned to make something else than frog/human mutants. Maybe not so much.

ortucis

Prophet
The only thing I have issue with in all Bethesda games so far has been the normal mapping. It just feels.. wrong, overdone and way too low-res.

Actually, that is the problem. They use low-res normal maps for every texture and that makes everything looks like shit. If you have ever used mods for games like Oblivion, which increase the normal map resolution, you can see that even the old textures look way better (more detailed and crisp).

Other than that. Skyrim looks great so whatever. Judging from Bethesda's work on Fallout 3 for PC, I am expecting customizable options (way more than most PC developers bother adding) and possible high-res textures (as promised on Quakecon).

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
actually bros it can have the greatest tits ever with the hottest lizardwomen in a land that looks so real you go brrr I'm roleplaying being cold and it will be still quite shit indeed until the detailed japanese mods get ported over

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom