Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ ---

Do you think there should be an option for turning InGame Jokes on/off?

• Yes.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • No.

Votes: 35 76.1%

• Total voters

samsam

Educated
---

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
One thing is facing an arrow to the knee joke after 10 hours of play.

Another thing is a jape hater wandering into fucking Monkey Island.

The examples you gave don't really seem like they are CLEARLY SET INTO HARD COVER FANTASY.

References alone aren't jokes. I'm not sure how many people realize that, but it does crop up fairly often. Beyond that, anything (within reason) can work if it's done well. It just needs to fit the setting, whatever that may be.

I think Fallout and Fallout 2 illustrate this decently enough, where some people find that the latter game went a bit overboard, while the first one was well done in that regard.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
In-jokes and modern world references can be annoying but in the case of Heroine's Quest I don't think they are. It's a light-hearted adventure, not a simulation. The jokes aren't sidesplitting but they add a silly charm.

Don't really care. It's the developers' story, let them tell it however they want. Yeah, maybe the game suffers because of this (becoming dated is a problem - that 2014 Olympics joke will be irrelevant in ten years), but I don't feel that strongly about it. If the game is good, it'll keep me immersed anyway (Fallout 2)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It's a reference to the old Sierra games, including Quest for Glory which Heroine's Quest draws most heavily upon, where puns and jokes (even the IMMURSHUN-shattering kind) were rampant.

So you're the fucking problem, not the game.

Kz3r0

Arcane
If you cant take a little bad pun, or such likes, you might as well get out of playing altogether.
Thank you dear sir but I think I'll continue to take my chances.:rpgcodex:

It's a reference to the old Sierra games, including Quest for Glory which Heroine's Quest draws most heavily upon, where puns and jokes (even the IMMURSHUN-shattering kind) were rampant.

So you're the fucking problem, not the game.
Not the way I see it.:neveraskedforthis:
Ask for a refund then.:troll:

Johannes

Arcane
But well, it really depends on the game what kind of atmosphere it wants to impart. Some games are serious all the way, with a solid 4th wall, some not quite so, others are fully reliant on jokes and references. If you can only tolerate one extreme then that is your issue.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i would normally vote "yes", but your clear attempt at immershunfagging made me vote no

Kz3r0

Arcane
To be honest he has a point, if the game world and atmosphere were so immersive adding try hard jokes maybe wasn't a good idea even if they took inspiration from old Sierra adventures.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I liked "in game jokes" and references in the past, when Dune Nukem was quoting Ash Williams or when he was making fun of some Doom'ed space marine. Or when Blood wad making fun of Duke (shake it baby) etc. But today "references" and "in-jokes" reek of shitty hipsterism, fuck it. Fuck hipsters and fashionable self-conscious dipshits. All the "arrow in the knee" jokes and internet memes make me sick. Fuck humour, I pray to the good lord thart all the "cool" jokers, comedians, hipsters would die of testicular cancer. Please God, kill those fuckers!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
you got old haha. No longer relevant in popular culture, you can only cling to your dead memories of Evil Dead, like a independent hand strangling your psyche... when you were cool...

laclongquan

Arcane
The point is that he want to dictate an already-made game to change according to his taste. Who does he think he is, Vault Dweller? Oh wait....

Seriously, that's a make-work feature to satisfy a very 'special' group of player of one. Note, 'special' as in 'special education'. Who has the money and manpower to devote to a work like that?

If that really bug your nuts, make your own game. If that is out of your range, make your own mod. Failing that, you can try convincing some willing souls to do your hard work. If you cant find some sucker to make such mod for you.... you are shit out of luck.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
you got old haha. No longer relevant in popular culture, you can only cling to your dead memories of Evil Dead, like a independent hand strangling your psyche... when you were cool...
I don't give a shit, I just hate 20XX, I hope SHTF hits soon. (fuck i'm wasted as shit).
EDIT: and I fuckin' hate effeminate, retarded youngsters. Fuck'em XD

Ninjerk

Arcane
I liked "in game jokes" and references in the past, when Dune Nukem was quoting Ash Williams or when he was making fun of some Doom'ed space marine. Or when Blood wad making fun of Duke (shake it baby) etc. But today "references" and "in-jokes" reek of shitty hipsterism, fuck it. Fuck hipsters and fashionable self-conscious dipshits. All the "arrow in the knee" jokes and internet memes make me sick. Fuck humour, I pray to the good lord thart all the "cool" jokers, comedians, hipsters would die of testicular cancer. Please God, kill those fuckers!
Thank WoW and Family Guy pretty much "happening" at the same time.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well i voted no just to fuck with you, but really it's probably a option. Sierra games themselves mostly made their blatant references more in-temporal by carefully choosing cultural icons of a certain age (laurel and hardy for instance). Their subtler references were to other sierra games, or they kinda work 'in context' like the Helton John in space quest.
And they never never didn't put in in the logic of the setting (meaning these people could exist there).

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Depends on the game and the joke used. VtM:B has some hilarious stuff, but its usually not referencing the real world - you can have something comical inside the game world or through its mechanics (like the description of an item). Try-hard real world references are unfunny though, and maybe we shouldnt just have an option to remove them, no ; maybe we should just not have that kind of crap altogether.

One of the things that make me prefer FO1 over FO2 - the staggering amount of "super funny" pop culture references is way over the top and ruins the mood. Its a dark and tense world and finding Monty Python jokes every thirty minutes really fucks up the mood. (Not talking about immersion. Just atmosphere overall) Then again we got the Crazy Wasteland of whatever the fuck it was ; a trait for FO:NV that enables "funny" references and wacky shit. You prefer your game world to be serious and believable? Dont pick that.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So you're complaining that a Sierra-like adventure game has puns and external references, ok. It's already been said by other posters, but these kind of games are meant to be like that, deal with it.

Also, OP is a faggot.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I like in-universe jokes, but hate out-of-place pop culture references - which is why I don't play the games that have them. Problem solved.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I don't know about in-game options, but I am in favour of dev studios summarily firing any dev who thinks putting 'arrow to the knee' or other shitty memes in their otherwise fairly serious game is a good idea.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I generally dislike jokes and attempts at humor in video games because generally they aren't funny. Usually it's unintentional stuff that makes me laugh like unexpected AI behavior, glitches, stuff like that.

I voted no because when there is an abundance of the jokes you are talking about it's a fundamental problem with the game and its makers, not something you can fix by taking a few jokes out. It's a developer state of mind that fails to respect the material and declares that players should not take the game seriously because the developers don't either. Not all games need to take themselves seriously but the problem lies in developers trying to do serious material (often composed of cliches anyway) in one breath and then mock the same sorts of cliches in the next breath. They don't understand how the entire product comes across as amateur and low-brow when they do that.

Comedy is very difficult to get right, especially in games. You need a talented, observant writer to do it. People often think they can easily write jokes making fun of the most common of cliches and they're automatically going to be funny. In reality they're just the same old cliches. Many European developers don't get it. Piranha Bytes, Larian, Phenomic, I'm looking at you.

Barkley is a pretty good example of good comedy in games, although at some points it too gets a little too close to the material it is trying to mock.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom