Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A big sticky with game mods

Monocause

Arcane
There was an informative (and stickied) thread with good mods on the 'dex some time ago. Don't know what happened to it (I suppose it's there somewhere but the search function failed me), but I suggest that perhaps the staff could make a half-global sticky (ie. stickied and shared between the RPGD, GG and SG) that would collect Codex-endorsed mods for games of all genres, listed alphabetically. In the thread we could also suggest new additions and discuss new mods.

The rationale behind this is:

1) Every now and then a redundant thread asking for mods pops up, a sticky would solve that.
2) Mods and unofficial patches have become an increasingly important part of the Master Race Gaming.
3) I would personally love it. Not much worthwhile mods for RPGs have been released lately but it would be nice to give directions to the Sawyer's mod for FO:NV or Skyrim's Hardcore Balance Experience. Meanwhile there's a shitton of great mods for strategy games; the TW scene is very active, just like the modding scene of the Paradox games. Having a sticky thread would make sharing info about good mods much easier and would lead to less clutter on the forums.

It might be argued that it's too much of a hassle for the staff to handle it but I don't think there'd be a big need for quality control. Whenever a suggestion would pop up a quick glance at the mods description and browsing a couple of posts with impressions would probably be enough, and if a mod turns out to be shit in disguise it can be easily removed.

EDIT: It would also be probably a much more popular sticky than the ones that are already there. I mean, we all love (or at least respect) Arcanum but who's going to visit that schematic list regularly? In General Gaming there's an old sticky with indie space sims which is understandably dead as, sadly, indie space sims of the Escape Velocity series quality aren't really released anymore. These stickies take up some of the board's real estate without being really useful or informative while a big and organised mod thread would probably be quite popular.

EDIT2: If the staffers can't be arsed to do it, I can manage the list. If I were to quit posting I suppose there is some thingamagic to change thread ownership so that it keeps being updated by someone else, no?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Mods usually leave this stuff to the plebs. If you want to do it, nothing's stopping you. Put it in the Workshop though maybe I dunno. We can't have cross-forum stickies. At least, I don't think so.

Monocause

Arcane
Cool, didn't check the workshop. Guess it ain't the best place for it.

I'm thinking about just copying his entire post, reposting it in GG or RPGD and expanding it (crediting his work in the OP, of course). If I stop posting one day someone else can do the same.

Monocause

Arcane
Do it. He hasn't posted in months so I don't think he would mind if he ever comes back. Whether you should post it in GG or RPGD depends on whether or not you're going to expand the repository to include non-RPG mods, I assume; if you do decide to do that (expand it) keep in mind that would be a daunting task.

I'm planning to try to animate a mod-related discussion in the thread and update the list mainly from the stuff other posters recommend. I should get that thread running in one or two days and PM a mod afterwards to ask to make a sticky of it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, if anyone makes such a thread and wants it stickied, just PM me and I'll do it, cause I definitely approve of the idea.

To make it more specific we can have one sticky in GRPG, one sticky in GG and one in SG, so if you have a good Half Life 2 mod you post it in the GG thread, if you have found a great Total War mod you post it in the SG thread, etc etc.

Someone go on and make those threads and I'll sticky them.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This would mean one less sticky in the workshop as well. Jolly good idea.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah, just moved the workshop mod sticky to GRPG. I think it fits there better and is easier to find (as evidenced by monocause not having checked the Workshop for it).

Monocause

Arcane
Can the staff change the ownership of the GRPG thread? Jaime seems to have stopped posting, perhaps ownership could be transferred to someone active.

I should start the GG and SG threads tomorrow or on sunday, I'll PM you when it's ready bro.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Change ownership isn't something you can do afaik.

Instead, you could create a new thread if you want to update it and then I'd just copypaste the original post's content into yours and sticky the entire thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom